Prices in the New Year

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
With the continued increase in the prices of food, energy and transportation the DR is quickly becoming a much more expensive place to live. The draw of many expats to the DR was the reasonable cost of living. It is really not reasonable any more and the trend to increasing costs looks like it is going to continue to spiral upwards. This will drive some ex-pats to re-think their long term plans in the DR.

LTSTeve

I've been contacted by several expats already who want to leave the DR and asked me information about Panama. It's becoming ridiculous here.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I was on this same path until I spent weeks as a member of some of their(Panama) forums... Its was almost a carbon copy of DR. Expats complaining about lights, theft, poor infrastructure, lazy bad attitudes and everyone out for the gringo ripoff. This along with the far more expensive and exhausting residency program, real estate, and complexities in having bank accounts, has lead me to decline. Grass is always greener!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In first world countries, the tax codes are written so that the more money you make, the more you pay in INCOME taxes.
There are enough people makig enough money that the system works.
In developing nations, like the DR, there are not enough middle class and above to be taxed enough to operate the ountry.
What to do????????????????????????
Not enough "Income" to tax, to run thr government.
Soooooooooooooooooo, in countries where almost everyone is "poor", you tax consumption.
Tax what they eat, and just about everything else they need/use to live!
Tax what they use to communicate(Celulares", Y "Minutos")telephones, and much more.
This tax is regressive.
The poor pay a huge percentage of what they spend in taxes.
The rich, a much smaller percentage.
I told you last year to buy "Petrolium Jelly" stock!
There will be a huge shortage in 2013, here in the DR!
And if you have "Familia" in the USA, don't expect them to send any to you!
"Obama" has made is a "Must Have" for Americans too.
But only those who "Work For a Living".
Those who "Vote For A Living" won't be needing any, EVER!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
In first world countries, the tax codes are written so that the more money you make, the more you pay in INCOME taxes.
In developing nations, like the DR, there are not enough middle class and above to be taxed enough to operate the ountry.
Soooooooooooooooooo, in countries where almost everyone is "poor", you tax consumption.
Tax what they use to communicate(Celulares", Y "Minutos")telephones, and much more.
This tax is regressive.
I'm not so sure it's consumption taxes that folks complain about as it is the bang for the taxes.

Many fine countries have high VAT taxes, but they also have reasonable gubmint accountability to go along with it.

The increase in taxation in the DR would be MUCH easier to follow if the gubmint had also announced austerity and strict anti-corruption guidelines, and cuts in bureaucracy and botellas.

It's not the $$$. It's the BS that goes along with the $$$.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This tax is regressive.

Many countries, including those with less poor than the USA have VAT or consumption taxes. Rich people spent more so they spend more on taxes. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH HIGHER TAXES BUT THE STAPLES SHOULD NOT BE TAXED. I bought ten lbs of coffee today at La Sirena for 139 per lb.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'm not so sure it's consumption taxes that folks complain about as it is the bang for the taxes.

Many fine countries have high VAT taxes, but they also have reasonable gubmint accountability to go along with it.

The increase in taxation in the DR would be MUCH easier to follow if the gubmint had also announced austerity and strict anti-corruption guidelines, and cuts in bureaucracy and botellas.

It's not the $$$. It's the BS that goes along with the $$$.

Actually Medina has started to cut Botellas. Many of the local politically connected , at least in the school district have lost their pay cheque that they got just for belonging to the PLD.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I actually will visit Panama next month for that reason, why are you still here?

I had to leave Panama to return to the DR to take care of my daughter here. I already lived my life, have to make sure that she can live a good one too.

Expat13, you can't compare the Panamanian forums with DR1, they're far worse.
What are you talking about more expensive and exhausting residency program? It's a piece of cake!!
Real estate in the city is more expensive than in the DR that's for sure but then again you'll live in a city where the water is drinkable and no blackouts.
Having lived 4 years in the DR and 12 years in Panama I honestly can say that the grass is greener in Panama.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
ah, yes. i am familiar with that outfit. they sent a truck to Puerto Plata 3 times, right before the last election. they have not been seen since.

In La Vega and Santiago they are actual psuedo restaurants you can go to that are open year round. According to my friend, they really ramped up production this month and make 200 lbs of rice per day.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
comedores economicos are all over the country. there are normal versions and mobile kitchen trucks, seen at election time or after major natural disasters. they make enormous amounts of food: breakfast and lunches only. one can easily eat well at less than a 50 pesos a day (two meals) and that includes a drink.

like CB we are hufe leftover fans in my household. admittedly i usually make just enough for one meal, otherwise miesposo would wolf the food down like there's no tomorrow but some stuff gets eaten a day or two later: i use cuts of meat for sandwiches, resurrect coleslaw with some more veggies and warm up pasteles for dinner.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
like CB we are hufe leftover fans in my household. admittedly i usually make just enough for one meal, otherwise miesposo would wolf the food down like there's no tomorrow but some stuff gets eaten a day or two later: i use cuts of meat for sandwiches, resurrect coleslaw with some more veggies and warm up pasteles for dinner.
We plan for leftovers, something I learned from Mom CB. It's often easier to cook more than less. And next day or so you save time and effort AND some foods have a chance to "blend" better.

Win-Win.

But not salad. I can't eat limp lettuce and soggy tomatoes...

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Chicken at 49 RD$ a pound in colmado this morning. Man said is expected to rise to 60RD$ by the end of next week.

Matilda

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I went to Supermercado National yesterday.
First trip since the new Supr High tax increases.
They are not charging for the taxes, YET!
But what really surprised me is the items that are being taxed, and maybe even more, what items ar NOT being taxed.
Examples:
TAXED,tortillas,apple juice,chocolate milk, chocolate for "Pan con Chocolate,cooking oil,vinager,Maggi sazon,coconut milk,Caldo de pollo,tuna fish,baby food,chicken soup in packages, ketchup,sugar,smoked porkchops,margarine,orange juice,yogurt,tooth paste,shampo,soap in bars,talcom powder,dish soap,cloro,garbage bags ( can understand taxing the bags,the average Dominican just throws their garbage in the street!!!).
NOT Taxed, Italian pasta,imported, Kraft macaroni & cheese, "Angel Soft toilet paper.
My order came to....13,310 pesos.
the "ITBIS" would have added...............1,040 pesos to that amt.
"BEND OVER"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, AND, "Spread Your "Cheeks"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As an experiment, we went to one of the much-derided supermarkets in Ver?n, which was ruthlessly abandoned by all the bavare?os and puntacaneros when Nacional and Pola opened a couple of years ago. Just one example - the large carton of Rica OJ "sin azucar" was RD$85. It's about RD$130 in Nacional. Looks like it may be worth doing at least part of our shopping in Ver?n after all.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Just one example - the large carton of Rica OJ "sin azucar" was RD$85. It's about RD$130 in Nacional.
RD$85!?!?!?!?!

Holy Mother of Pearl that is fantastic!!!!!!!!!

Was that 1/2 g or a quart?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
RD$85!?!?!?!?!

Holy Mother of Pearl that is fantastic!!!!!!!!!

Was that 1/2 g or a quart?
Yes you're right to express doubt. I went and double checked - the 18% ITBIS was added at the end of the bill, making it RD$100, not 85.
Last time we bought the large juice (1 litre - almost the same as a quart) was in December, from Nacional, it came to RD$125 with ITBIS, so this month it will be 2% more.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Chiri", I think you have your measurments off.
The "OJ" is in 1 liter, and two litter sizes.
I get the two litter/half gallon/ 2quarts size of "Rica Sin Azucar at National at between 105 and 135 pesos.
I wait for it to be "on sale" then buy several.
If you shop National,Pola, Price Mart, etc. youmust know the correct/best price, BEFORE you buy.
You must also check every item, as it is rung up.
The price in the aisle may change when it arrives at check out.
And, NEVER in the customers favor!!!!
Thank God, Obama just gave us GRINGOS,a small raise in our "SS', and pension benefits!
I "VOTE" for my living!!
CC