Prices in the New Year

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Man these prices are 50-60% cheaper than the same type products here in Canada.................!!!!!! we pay 200 pesos for 2.5 lbs of Uncle bens rice!! The chicken at 89.95 pesos would cost you here 280 pesos. The kicker is that we earn salaries here that make our prices normal to us I feel for the Dominicans who earn so little that good food is out of reach. I save enough on groceries while I am down for two or three months that I eat very well with no hardship!
These are "loss leaders" designed to get you in the store where you'll buy other stuff...not on sale.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
US prices for most of these product are lower, quality HIGHER!
If You cab buy imported pork here in the DR, cheaper than "Locally Produced" pork, tells you something about the DR's "Food Chain"!!!
It's inefficient, and Tooooooooooooooooooooooo Loooooooooong!!!
Too many people "touching" the products on the way to you, and taking their "cut!"
CC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
US prices for most of these product are lower, quality HIGHER!
If You cab buy imported pork here in the DR, cheaper than "Locally Produced" pork, tells you something about the DR's "Food Chain"!!!
It's inefficient, and Tooooooooooooooooooooooo Loooooooooong!!!
Too many people "touching" the products on the way to you, and taking their "cut!"
CC

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
These are "loss leaders" designed to get you in the store where you'll buy other stuff...not on sale.

there you go!!! and the stuff which is not on sale is that which really tears you a new one. last year, this time, chicken was 50 pesos per pound in the supermarket. my buddy paid 91 pesos per pound for chicken wings last week. i love it when the government statisticians say that inflation has been 3.8% this year. tell that to your cleaning lady.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i sometimes talk to my maid about comida de los pobres - poor people's food. guess what: no such thing anymore. it used to bacalao or arenque, followed by all sorts of mollejas. ha! all those are now expensive. in place of rich moro de arenque some people buy one single fish and only dip it into rice to give it some flavour. this one fish will last for several days. mollejas are now more expensive per pound than normal meat.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
i sometimes talk to my maid about comida de los pobres - poor people's food. guess what: no such thing anymore. it used to bacalao or arenque, followed by all sorts of mollejas. ha! all those are now expensive. in place of rich moro de arenque some people buy one single fish and only dip it into rice to give it some flavour. this one fish will last for several days. mollejas are now more expensive per pound than normal meat.

Ask her about the comedor economico where you can get a plate full of rice, meat of the day, and salad of your choice for 5-10 pesos. Even the poor won't eat there because they say the food is bad. My friend brought me food from there once and I couldn't tell the difference from any other place that sells el plato del dia. The day I ate it was Pollo Guisao, Arroz Blanco, and a nice avocado salad for 10 pesos.. this was in La Vega's comedor economico in the palmarito sector btw.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Ask her about the comedor economico where you can get a plate full of rice, meat of the day, and salad of your choice for 5-10 pesos. Even the poor won't eat there because they say the food is bad. My friend brought me food from there once and I couldn't tell the difference from any other place that sells el plato del dia. The day I ate it was Pollo Guisao, Arroz Blanco, and a nice avocado salad for 10 pesos.. this was in La Vega's comedor economico in the palmarito sector btw.

who subsidizes that?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I used to feed my dogs chicken liver, when it was 8 pesos a pound.
Now they have to settle for chiken "skins", and meat "by Products".
Dry dogfood is 32 pesos a pound now, and up, WAY UP!
Do you have to be a "PLDista" to get lunch for 5-10 pesos????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

i know about comedores economicos and i had a meal from there too: normal plato del dia you see everywhere else! and yes, really poor folks do not want to go there but many of miesposo's workers do. it always boggled my brain why more people do not eat there and i think it all boils to keeping up the appearances, people are just ashamed and embarrassed to eat there. some would rather go hungry!

who sponsors those? partially government and partially large companies and private people. in POP brugal chips in, as well as vinicula del norte.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
i know about comedores economicos and i had a meal from there too: normal plato del dia you see everywhere else! and yes, really poor folks do not want to go there but many of miesposo's workers do. it always boggled my brain why more people do not eat there and i think it all boils to keeping up the appearances, people are just ashamed and embarrassed to eat there. some would rather go hungry!

who sponsors those? partially government and partially large companies and private people. in POP brugal chips in, as well as vinicula del norte.

But the same people aren't ashamed to ask you for 5-10 pesos everytime they see you.. or throw dirty pieces of couch filling with soap and water on it on your freshly washed windshield.. boggles my brain too.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and the very same people who would rather go hungry than eat leftovers...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
With the continued increase in the prices of food, energy and transportation the DR is quickly becoming a much more expensive place to live. The draw of many expats to the DR was the reasonable cost of living. It is really not reasonable any more and the trend to increasing costs looks like it is going to continue to spiral upwards. This will drive some ex-pats to re-think their long term plans in the DR.

LTSTeve

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
and the very same people who would rather go hungry than eat leftovers...

I bet you,when reality hits them with the price increase,the poor people will buying meals in the comedores economicos.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
With the continued increase in the prices of food, energy and transportation the DR is quickly becoming a much more expensive place to live. The draw of many expats to the DR was the reasonable cost of living. It is really not reasonable any more and the trend to increasing costs looks like it is going to continue to spiral upwards. This will drive some ex-pats to re-think their long term plans in the DR.

LTSTeve

Have imported products ever been cheaper in the DR than their home of origin? What exactly was more reasonable in the DR before that has gone up now? Gas has always been more expensive than the US, energy has had the same issue, and domestic food products in the DR are MUCH cheaper than equivalent products in the US (as far as fruits/vegetables go). Meat prices are about the same or a bit less than the US, but the quality imo is a bit lower also, and that's not even talking about beef. I have a friend here who told me the beef here is absolutely amazing and that grass fed organic beef in the US is 15-20$ a pound.. lol.. I never researched it but I can't stand the shoe leather type of beef they sell here.

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
The same 250g President butter that was RD146 last week in Playero and was RD168 Wednesday, was 192 at La Sirena yesterday. Beer (pequeno) has gone from 50 up to 75 in the last weeks. Can someone explain which new tax causes these types of price increase?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"DV", only one comment about the sponsors of the "Comedores Economicos".
When you list the "Government" as one of them, you are not telling it like it IS!!
The "Government", takes from the taxpayer money, they have none of their own!!
CC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hey! you are correct.
let me fix it then: the government uses the money they stole for pueblo to finance comedores economicos so that people think they are getting something back while in reality they are paying for this food big time...