Private Schools

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks, GringoCarlos - just to explain:
I added the initial registration, book rental and Parents' Association fee to the primary rate basic tuition figure. There are so many variables I tried to give people a rough idea of the price range each school is in.

Please also check your PMs because I would like to hear some more from you about this particular school! :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
jruane44 said:
Any info on George Washington in S.D.

I asked about this one as it's quite near our house, but the unanimous verdict was very negative. PM me if you'd like more details.

Montessorian

Apr 1, 2002
www.patriaquerida.homestead.com
new school in la isabelita

We have opened a new montessori school in La Isabelita.

Von Wedel Montessori School
Calle 4, #21
Entre calles 3 y 5
La Isabelita
Santo Domingo ESTE
809-609-5207

Bilingual, Montessori pre-school and kindergarten.

nebraskamom

May 4, 2005
schools in santiago

I have kids in two schools in santiago:

New Horizons
this is an affiliate of the new horizons in santo domingo but is much smaller (Pre-k2 through 7th grade next year--adding a grade each year)and NOT accredited yet, although they try to follow many of the same programs and policies.
bilingual with english (taught as a second language,) math in english one semester (spanish in the other) and science in english at least one semester, and reading in english. social studies concentrates on caribbean and latin american studies (not u.s. history.)

located in los gardines

tuition $3200US ($113,500 RD) not including admission and testing fees

Santiago Christian School
to my knowledge the only fully U.S. accredited school in santiago. all classes are in english with most teachers from the US (pre-k3 through 12th grade) although all students must take spanish as either a second or first language and dominican students must take Dominican social studies/history in spanish. The majority of students are dominican, about 25% are from the US with no dominican parent. This school is very similar to what you would find in the states in terms of classroom order, homework worksheets, etc. This is an evangelical school but the majority of students are Catholic. bible classes are required.

located off the autopista near the rica plant just past the new hospital

tuition (Includes registration fees but not admission fees or multi child discounts)

pK $87034($2719 US)
kinder-5th $114940RD ($3591us)
6TH-8TH $$164,191 rd ($5130 us)

If you need more specific info on either school feel free to pm me!

emmy

Apr 18, 2006
hi - can anyone tell me if 12th grade is the same as year 12 in the UK? and if so are there any alternatives to school for 16 - 18 year olds? (like the further education colleges we have here)

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
St. George

Thanks for mentioning this school, GringoCarlos. Has anyone enrolled their kids at St. George? Or does anyone know much about it?

Much appreciated.

Montessorian

Apr 1, 2002
www.patriaquerida.homestead.com
st. george

Hello, I have two children in st. George and we have been very pleased with the results. My daughters feel that they fit in. They feel that the children are not to clickish, and have made friends.

They were required to spend an hour after school in special spanish class and an hour in homework help. Because being non spainish speakers they needed the extra help. There is no homework on the weekends !

The list of students reads like a who's who list of the Dominican Republic.

If you have specific questions I would be happy to respond.

When you go somewhrere with your children and they are in the ST. George uniform, it draws attention.

Enverswife

Jan 12, 2005
Does the school have a website?
I am trying to get tuition information, current tuition information, thanks!

charliegirl

Oct 16, 2005
School

Montessorian said:
We have opened a new montessori school in La Isabelita.

Von Wedel Montessori School
Calle 4, #21
Entre calles 3 y 5
La Isabelita
Santo Domingo ESTE
809-609-5207

Bilingual, Montessori pre-school and kindergarten.

Is this school only preschool and Kindergarten or are there higher grades

thanks
Char

charliegirl

Oct 16, 2005
Does anyone know anything more about Bilingual schools in Boca Chica or Juan Dolio. I am looking for a bilingual Spanish/English school for Grade 3.

Thanks

junglemonkey

Jun 24, 2006
St. Thomas School

Here's another private school i dont think was mentioned earlier,

St. Thomas School
its in Arroyo Hondo in Santodomingo
all english
teachers from US/CAN
SACS approved
prekinder to grade 12

good school to get your kids into university in DR or US

as for that school in juan dolio....if you dont have any other choice....'want to be a boys in the hood-speaking english like its another dialect' was my impression...

I think there is a school in La Romana thats supposed to be good...The Lincoln school?

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
I will add one to the list that may not appeal to those of you with kids in St domingo, since it is not bilingual, but I have to say that it is quite good, very good ambience,a nd very cheap. The Escuela Nueva in the Ciudad Universitaria zone is a lovely little school that has a pretty liberal and progressive attitude toward education with an emphasis on encouraging a child's independent imagination. There are many parents from other countries sending their children there,a nd the children have none of the classist attitude that is an inevitable result of attending an elite institution, particularly in a poor developing nation. St. Pat's looks good to me too, but for now I am going to send my daughter to Escuela Nueva. The tuition is very low, which means that middle class Dominicans can afford it, and the student mix is thus very balanced. Btw, the tuition is low enough so that if you wanted to enroll your child in after-school English classes, say at Progressive or some other such school, you could well afford to do so and still pay less than you would be paying at these other elite schools. This school is worth looking into.

mgregoir

Jun 20, 2006
International School of Santo Domingo

I was reading the private schools listings in another thread and I noticed that the international school of santo domingo was never mentioned. Has anyone had any experience with this school?