property rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
OK

Don't give us his name if you don't want to, but if he plays in the USA can you let us know the team he works for? I can take it from there.

TW

R&JRivas

Apr 28, 2002
ok lets figure this out

She said she live in Las Vegas - Las Vegas is AAA Dodgers - if you check roster there are plenty of Latino on it.

R&JRivas

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Lasvegas here is the name and 800 number for that agency. JK Harris and Co.
1800-399-5082

If he is on Licey's Roster and is active in the winter league you can place a garnishment on his wages IF you divorce him....for child support. If you do it in the states they will respoect your verdict in the Dominican Courts. If you do it here, it will be all the faster. Either way, you can get money and property in you favor.

Good Luck

Never did like Licey.

HB
Edited so as not to use 'garnish' incorrectly. Funny word: Garnishee and garnishment but not a verb-garnish...Hummm, only as an illegal payment from a new worker.

Last edited:

lasvegas

Sep 21, 2002
He played in the U.S. for the Orioles and Blue Jays but broke his leg in 2000 (the year I petitioned for his residency) after that he played in Mexico and in the Independent League. For Licey he plays 3rd base and DH and sometimes 1st base. Will they give me child support even if the child is not mine biologically? I am trying to find out the in's and out's of INS and if I can take my name off his petition. I have e-mailed some lawyers in DR. re a divorce but the money they want is a little steep because they say it is complicated. I guess I am wondering how someone can enter and leave the U.S. and the IRS knows this but yet they do nothing to stop him. I assume he is using my address for his residency but he does not live here, he never has. I am wondering if that is enough to make immigration take notice or that he has not paid his taxes in over 3 years. I have told the IRS exactly where he is employed in DR. but they show no interest and because he has not ever reported his income from winterball they could stick me with the tax bill for that. Isn't it illegal not to report foreign income if you have residency in the U.S. or I am just grasping here? I saw in one of the newspapers in the DR. where he said he prays to GOD he does not get hurt anymore so he can help his family. It took everything I had not to choke on that because he has never helped a person in his life if he wasn't going to get something out of it. I wonder what newspapers in DR. would think if they knew the truth about him. Probably nothing. It seems like this is nothing new down there with people like him. I know all people from DR are not the same but I have to say I think some of them think why not take advantage of the American?? Sorry if that offended anyone. I didn't mean for it to include everyone from there. Again thanks for your replies and Mr. Hillbilly thank you so much for the number. Glad to hear your not a Licey fan. Oh and I just moved here from New York. Western New York so I was not aware there is a Dodger team out here but funny because when he first signed to play basaeball it was with the Dodgers but they traded him because they thought he might " have some problems" I guess they saw it coming.

Jerry

Jan 1, 2002
www.livinginsantiago.com
Hey lasvegas

I am presently living in Western NY. What an eye opener when I moved here. But that is a different story.

Here is the web site to one of the lawyers that monitors that newsgroup I was talking about. His contact info is there and you can always drop him a line.

http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/index.htm

What exactly is his status with the INS? Are you still in the process, he has his condictional card or was his condictions removed?

Jerry

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Las Vegas
You have all the reasons to be rightfully pissed,all Dominicans do not fit in the category of your s##t eating ex,consider telling your story to the press but first make sure it wont harm your efforts to collect what is owed you or cause you to lose custody of the child
good luck:angry:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Lasvegas: Here is a list of the infielders on the Licey team this week:
Raymond Nu?ez #48
Willis Ota?ez #25
Henry Mateo #29
Wendell Campa?a #71
Wilmy C?ceres #10
Juan Lorenzo #64
Erick Almonte #28
Ronnie Belliard #1

Why not give us a hint?

BTW, DR divorces are NOT expensive, not at all. A "quickie" divorce is much more expensive, but if it has to be done there is no way it can be cheaper in the US. You come here, get a really nasty lawyer, file the papers, publish the decree and done...Costs less than the simplest divorce in the US and you get 1/2 of everything you can catch him with..

HB

P.S. Check with some other lawyers about this..

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I am sorry that I am going to rain on this novella, folks, but stop and think a minute. Every story has TWO sides, and the entire lot of you have all quickly piled on this manure spreader. You don't have enough information to start throwing (mud), and this thread started out asking how to find out about legal rights to some land in la Republica, and now has turned into a lynch mob. Will it end up with a bunch of DR1-ers storming the first Licey game to drag this guy away to the nearest canefield?

One of the few things I agree with in this thread is that the lady definitely needs a lawyer- both in the DR and in Las Vegas too.

My questions for one and all:
*Nevada may have community property rights, and the DR has community property rights. I guess that logically that means that yes, lasvegas might get a quickie DR divorce, and then yes, you can grab half of the land he owns here. Of course, unless you had a pre-nuptial, you better sell your (or his AND yours) house in Vegas and hand over HIS half of that too, as well as half of everything else he left behind there too. Justice is justice.

*There may be a tax bill due to the IRS. That doesn't make him a tax-cheater, as some have implied. That only means that the IRS and the State of New York don't agree with the facts and numbers presented versus their version of the numbers and the amount they think is due. You have to either fight it, or pay up. With the IRS, you are guilty until you prove your innocence. Sooner is definitely cheaper than later to settle up with those folks.

That also doesn't make it HIS tax bill if you filed jointly, it makes it the tax bill for BOTH of you. Who's the American and who's the da*! foreigner, and which one should either understand how US taxes work, or how to find an H & R tax office to figure it out for you? Now you will probably need an expensive tax lawyer as well, instead of a cheap tax-return mill.

*If he abandoned HIS son, and the child is not yours biologically, does that mean you adopted him, or if you didn't adopt him, how do YOU have legal custody and why should you receive child support if you don't? Is the child a US citizen, or does the child have US residency based on your husband's residency? If so, you might also have an INS hearing on the child's status in the US (I am not attempting to be brutal, I am only looking at the facts presented, which is what a judge will do too). IMHO, DR1 really isn't the place to be talking about stuff like this- too personal.

*If there is a tax bill due, the IRS NEVER cares if they know where either you or he physically are- the US doesn't have debtor's prisons. The IRS only cares about knowing where your assets are, so they can easily grab enough to settle their judgement.

I truly believe that getting the residency was his final reason for staying, and he then had no reason to stay any longer, so he came back to the DR. I also believe that he probably IS taking care of his family - mama, papa, his sisters, his brothers, cousins, grandma, and his other kids here in the DR.

Side note: The term "Garnish" is the proper term, and is defined as the action "to attach a debtor's property or wages by the authority of the court, to pay a debt." (just go to Google, and enter "legal definition garnish" and read anything that isn't related to food stuff.) The court will garnish your wages if the IRS gets a judgement against the TWO of you, because your wages, cars, bank accounts, and the house in the U.S. are the easiest things for them to try and grab to settle the judgement.

The term "garnishee" is the person they are doing it TO, and the term "garnishment" is the property or money they are taking to satisfy the court's judgement.

And last, just to wipe that grim look off of your faces:

What is the difference between the IRS and a hooker? The hooker will stop trying to screw you once you are dead.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Will it end up with a bunch of DR1-ers storming the first Licey game to drag this guy away to the nearest canefield?
Thanks for that great mental image, carlos - classic!

Also, "garnish" as a legal term has been duly noted. Even though it doesn't appear in the dictionary as such, its popular usage is obvious to me now.

lasvegas

Sep 21, 2002
This was not meant for a group of people to show up at a game and do or say anything. First of all the child does not have residency and his visa has expired. I have not legally adopted him. Noone was taking care of him and so I stepped in. Secondly the house in Las Vegas is in my name not his. As far as the land is concerned if I can't sell it to pay off his tax bill than I would at least like to put it in his son's name so one day he might have something. Now for his side of the story. Tell me what could it possibly be?? My problem is simple. It is not about revenge or making him look foolish. He can do that by himself. I looked for some help as far as the IRS is concerned and maybe someone knew alittle more about law in the DR. As far as your comment about the judge. Well facts are facts and leaving the country and leaving someone else with your problems is wrong. The tax bill has nothing to do with my income. It was based on him not claiming earned income while playing. Something the IRS frowns upon. Lastly your comment about people from here going to a Licey game, well the people who have replied here do not sound to me like people who would resort to those types of behavior. Again I thank people for their replies. I have received alot of info on lawyers and law in DR. That is what I was looking for in the first place. If the info got alittle personal for some, then I apologize. It was never meant for that purpose. And yes it is # 25.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh yes, it is "grin" not "grim"-funny anyhow. And the guy is a sh!thead.

Why not see if you can "garnish" his wages at Licey? Get a local lawyer to do it for you. It will let him know that you are serious. Also, endangerment of a minor (abandoning a child with no supervision?? give me a break!) is a felony in most states so Wee Willy is also guilty of a felony as I can see it. Whatever his excuse. This is a typical example of what a lot of us here have been preaching when people from a first world nation get mixed up with people from a third world nation with a mentality that is unfathomable to the people in the first world nation. It just is. You have a lot of ammunition to get this guy so go for it!

HB grinning!

Last edited:

lasvegas

Sep 21, 2002
The sad thing is the child does not understand why his father never calls or for that matter never bothers to send him anything. But the child came in real handy when he needed to use him as a dependent on his income tax. I don't like to think all people from DR. are like this. Surely they are not. They want to come to the U.S. work here make money here but they don't want the responsibility that comes with it. I guess he just felt he could leave this country and because he is in the DR. nothing can happen. Like he always said he plays ball noone will do anything to him. It is like there is some excuse. I am not trying to make myself sound angelic but since I have known him and have been married to him I have always worked. Now because of this problem I work 2 jobs. If he would stay in the U.S. long enough as my lawyer I had in New York said there would be something I could do easily but with him running off to the DR. it makes it alittle harder. Especially getting info on his whereabouts when he is in the DR. to serve him with papers. I am sure the ball club will protect his whereabouts. Outside of the ball park I have no idea where he is. He does not go to his hometown very much. See most everyone there knows what he did so he is embarrassed. Leaving a child well that is rather unspeakable. Well again the replies are appreciated. It is nice to know that there are some people out there who realize the difference between right and wrong.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
If you know his number and team why not serve the papers on the feild? That would be interesting. Aren't teams easy to follow? Sorry I know nada about baseball but aren't the games planned ahead of time?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just what Anna said: You know where he is every day of the season. YOu can get a schedule of the games and he will be there. Get that lawyer to move..You have 2 1/2 months to do something.....
I think that abandoning a child is considered reckless endangerment of a minor and is certainly extraditable. Check it out and see if it is true..
HB

lasvegas

Sep 21, 2002
The problem is the Licey office. They don't let anyone go in before the game and I doubt he would answer to anyone calling his name. My lawyer in New York wanted me to try and get as much info as I could on where he lived in the capital but the only thing I knew is what kind of a car he drove. Please believe me when I say I have tried almost everything with him. That is why I turned to this website. See most lawyers from the U.S. will tell you if he is in the DR. there is not much they can do. They say to serve him in DR. is almost impossible. Lawyers from DR say it will be hard to get any papers served to him. I have received another letter from the IRS and I do not know how to tell my family I owe over $ 10,000 because of him. They are helping me take care of his son. A nine year old is not cheap. Especially one who is growing by leaps and bounds. Plus my lawyer here wants me to get as much info on him as I can. Now that is impossible. Of course former teammates will tell me things here and there because they saw what went on but other than that I know nothing. I hate to sound like some pathetic woman who cries because her man left. I think you can all tell that is not my concern. My concern is this child and the tax bill. I mean if I lose my house over this where will we live??? What will happen when I go to immigration for papers for his son and I have to tell them I have no idea where his father is ???? That is my concern. I am in Las Vegas, it is very hard to judge what happens in DR let alone the law there. I have seen some very shady things by lawyers there, that is what bothers me. What kind of " rights" does a foreigner have there??? I was married there but I question my rights down there. Can you really find a honest lawyer there? I have not had a good experience there as you can tell. I thank you for replies. They are encouraging and ever so welcome. Again I hope I am not offending anyone by this.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
http://dr1.com/divorce/

Get all your answers there! Look above in the banner. Mr Guzman's office has already given you an answer to your original question.
Fabio Guzman is a well respected lawyer. Get in touch with the office and see if they will handle this. We are not lawyers and I think everyone has tried to help all they can. I'm begining to lose track of what exactly your looking for.
Ask the experts. That's why they have a degree! Good luck

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Jesus folks, I wonder if the kid is even HIS let alone hers. Quick to hang the guy but women scorned will do and say anything and even rewrite history in my experience to suck the lifes blood out of a guy.

Sound harsh? She could be a stalker for all you know.

I am not sticking up for him but have seen what some women would do to get back at a man first hand.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Jazz, while you may be right, I think this girl's story rings true. However, her lack of knowledge about how to go about persuit of this guy is amazing. He has abandoned a child to the US Welfare system. There is recourse for this. lasvegas What do you mean you can't? Shoot, you can walk onto the field before a game with little or no problems if you look important. To serve the guy with papers would never be a problem, The problem is "what"papers to serve him with.
Real life case: Guy gets divorce in NYC, says "f*ck the US"
and goes back to the DR. Out of work, he falls behind in his child support payments. A couple of weeks later he is served with papers, under Dominican law, obliging him to show up in court and get that money to the US asap! What is so different in your case? Come on girl, get with it...and call that guy Harris...

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.