Protest actions against the new residency renewal rules (vexations)

Duece

Mar 11, 2004
I think what has many people upset is not that the law should not but be changed but the fact that long time legal residents now have to do the same thing a first time applicant has to do. Usually, when a law such as this is changed the current residents are "Grand fathered" into the law. Why should a person who lives here permanently have to do anything but simply renew? I have been here 12 years and I have a friend who has been here 27 years and married to a Dominican and we both had to make two trips to Santo Domingo, spend all day both times, get blood tests and exrays and pay out the you know what. Of course I did it but sometimes things go too far. Hopefully sanity will prevail. I love the DR and will continue to live here.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Castle, Don't misunderstand me.
I never said the new regs were good or fair or well thought out.

I am not in favour of them but one must remember that we actually do exist/stay here at the whim of this gov't.

As I mentioned about the US. Renewing visa were sent home to renew their status.
Somewhere, somehow somebody figured out that it was onerous to leave the job for that rrenewal time frame and adjusted the regulation to allow renewal from inside the US.

We can only hope that we will enjoy a similar development.

I just renewed my residency in March - well before my July deadline- and i'm glad I did.

I am no happier with this situation than anybody else is.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I am with WW on this point, although I am guilty of living here for the past 3 years without residency.

I kept postponing it... you know the tale, yes, I will start the process next month..., and something popped up, and you postponed it another month, etc...

Guilty as charged, and not whining about it...

And I can understand the new laws will be a pain in the butt for a lot of long time stayers here...

But, there are some positive developments as well...

- retirees can go for permanent residency immediately ( proving their income...)
- investors can (proving their ...)
- and some other exceptions...

All in all, the DR is still one of the most reasonable countries in the world for well-meaning immigrants.

Yes, I will have to jump through the loops, and I will have to spend some money... but guess what... the DR government is the easy part...

Me having to get my wife on my bank-account as a full partner is proving to be a lot more hassle...

And damn, ordered loads of stuff from the States, had loads of letters delivered from Europe, and guess what??? The first one ever to get lost were the apostilled papers I needed... ouchhh... Oh well, requested them again, will have them delivered to my parents house, will get a good friend, once again, to jump into her car, drive over to the government office, and then...

No, luckily this friend is coming over later this month... so no post, but she will bring them with her...

BelgianK

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Wow, but w/ these papers you was a step ahead of me and I got my visa yesterday :), next week to the Doc...

I am with WW on this point, although I am guilty of living here for the past 3 years without residency.

I kept postponing it... you know the tale, yes, I will start the process next month..., and something popped up, and you postponed it another month, etc...

Guilty as charged, and not whining about it...

And I can understand the new laws will be a pain in the butt for a lot of long time stayers here...

But, there are some positive developments as well...

- retirees can go for permanent residency immediately ( proving their income...)
- investors can (proving their ...)
- and some other exceptions...

All in all, the DR is still one of the most reasonable countries in the world for well-meaning immigrants.

Yes, I will have to jump through the loops, and I will have to spend some money... but guess what... the DR government is the easy part...

Me having to get my wife on my bank-account as a full partner is proving to be a lot more hassle...

And damn, ordered loads of stuff from the States, had loads of letters delivered from Europe, and guess what??? The first one ever to get lost were the apostilled papers I needed... ouchhh... Oh well, requested them again, will have them delivered to my parents house, will get a good friend, once again, to jump into her car, drive over to the government office, and then...

No, luckily this friend is coming over later this month... so no post, but she will bring them with her...

BelgianK

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Der Fish, first of all you do not need a lawyer to get residency here because all they do is charge a lot of money and then pay one of those guys that do that for a living so my suggestion to you is that if you speaks spanish go the inmigration office and get it done yourself or even better have your love help you do it. It shouldn't cost you more than 16000.00RD pesos doing it your own and if you hire a lawyer it will cost you between 1500.00 to 2000.00USD.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Der Fish, first of all you do not need a lawyer to get residency here because all they do is charge a lot of money and then pay one of those guys that do that for a living so my suggestion to you is that if you speaks spanish go the inmigration office and get it done yourself or even better have your love help you do it. It shouldn't cost you more than 16000.00RD pesos doing it your own and if you hire a lawyer it will cost you between 1500.00 to 2000.00USD.

What he said. Do it yourself.

Norberto

Oct 15, 2012
Got a lady love who tells me that she can get me residency if I want. Don't know what she means exactly. She says her bro in law is abogado and these new rules that are talked about here are easy to circumvent. I'll be getting into thw process soon and keep everyone deformed.
Der Fish
In the past we did it with corruption because there was no other way to do. What we want ist a legal security. Right now nobody knows what will happen in the airport in case your residencia is in process.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

The most recent reliable information is legal fees, everything included, are around $1400 USD. Doing it on your own will be in excess of 16,000 RD. The fees were raised within the past few months.

I would agree it can be done on your own, but that would depend on the individual. Some just want to pay and sign while others may not mind running around doing all the paperwork. In my case it is so much easier to let the lawyer handle it. I just show up at the required times, sign on the dotted line, and Bingo..it's a done deal.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
To me, it sounds like there is so much confusion that I would be wary of the DIY route.

Until we get better answers, or the system settles down, it seems like a game for the professionals.

Norberto

Oct 15, 2012
The Dominican Law IS the Law.

There is no legal security in this country. That means you have to deal with corruption and money. And that is what I want to change, nothing more.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Norberto's Change

The Dominican Law IS the Law.

There is no legal security in this country. That means you have to deal with corruption and money. And that is what I want to change, nothing more.

Change how?
Don't fool yourself, my friend.
Unless you are a few million voters with some super corrupt crook leading them, you won't change a bit of the Dominican "culture".

donP

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When I arrive at "Las Americas" and they don't let me "IN", I'll believe it!
Until then, I'm not worried.
How many posts have you sen on DR1 so far, by "Expats" who have been denied entry?
NONE!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
- a lot of Germans protested at there embassy, so at 9/26/2012 the German embassy had a meeting with the director of the migracion. For example more then half of the members of the IRC (Internationaler Residenten Club) sent personal emails to the German ambassador. At the moment the result of the meeting is unknown, I don?t received any massage from them.
- a lot of Spanish protested (see Espa?oles preocupados por obst?culos para renovar residencia en Rep?blica Dominicana - DiarioLibre.com

but what about the big and strong America?? As I read in http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/126...ions-would-you-recommend-someone-move-dr.html also a lot of people hate the new rules.

I think as more strong countries as United States, Canada, Italian and so on, protests against the new rules as bigger is the chance to lower the level or cancel the new vexatious and expensive rules!!

Four what do they need every 4 years a new medical examen for long time living residents?? If someone receives for example tbc or other dangerous illness here, had he leave the country?? (it is against article 9 of the international human rights!!)
Four what do we need every 4 years a new garanteers-paper??

D.R. benefits a lot from as foreign residents (they bring money in the country, force the economic, give work to D.R.-people, buy the products of the country, pay development aid from there taxes and so on) and what is the thanks from D.R., they persecute us!!

STAND UP, DON?T LET YOURSELF PERSECUTE AND FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS!!

I am sorry for all of you Germans. How the Dominican government can do this to such a country with such open immigration law as Germany. Do not make me laugh please.

The last time I was in Germany, I took a train from Frankfurt to Paris and German immigration officers literally came into the train and almost gave cavity search to many of the people that did not look Europeans. Are you kidding me??? At least they are not stopping you here and returning the favor.

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
Just out of curiosity,
What did the German ambassador have to say following the much anticipated meeting with Migracion ?
Was anything changed thanks to that meeting ?

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Different people different scenarios

Harden the F up is not what I need to hear
I live and work in Houston ,born in Germany
so flying home to start my paperwork is more than irritating and an expense and time consuming
cant call home right quick and have Mom send me some missing paperwork that needs to be ueber apostilled

but I am glad you got yours :)

Manu

Hmmmm... it's not such a bad time for a trip to Germany... it's freekin' OCTOBERFEST!!!! Go get your papers... drink a liter or two of good beer, and you won't care about the inconvenience. LOL

I was at Hoffbrauhause this past weekend.... gotta' love that German beer... not to mention the girls in the low cut blouses!!!!

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
When I arrive at "Las Americas" and they don't let me "IN", I'll believe it!
Until then, I'm not worried.
How many posts have you sen on DR1 so far, by "Expats" who have been denied entry?
NONE!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

That's what I have been looking for and not seeing, any evidence that the "rumored" change in policy on tourist card overstay has actually caused any real person any real inconvenience. As the snowbird season ramps up and thousands of non-dr1 reading folk come in on seasonal migrations with no idea anything is different...will they actually find anything is different? Will the processing of tourist card overstays of several months remain a pro forma fee as before with those folk blissfully unaware of a lot of rumors and discussion? Will real people be put on some re-entry denied blacklist for overstaying? Should know by March.
Meanwhile if like Cobraboy I had serious assets in jeopardy if denied reentry I wouldn't gamble even at good odds.

sunshinedon

Jul 28, 2012
I just bought a place just before all of these changes. It is ridiculous,I am supposed to go the the Consulate in Miami, this is just a waste. Panama just changed their rules to make it much easier , this is a much better plan to bring in the incomes and technology from educated successful people. I see alot of casas sitting empty that cost too much for most locals. Where is the realestate industry?. They should be lobbying to change this as we speak. A clean record, a good bill of health and some invesment in D R should be enough. The new restrictions make me hesitant to proceed in investing more and possibly invest in another country with a positive aproach towards foreign investment and retirement..

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Cry me a frickin' river.

Who the f@<k are="" you="" to="" tell="" dominicans="" how="" run="" their="" country?
k do you think YOU are to complain how DOMINICANS choose to run their country and decide who and how foreigners are allowed in?

They've been lax for YEARS in not enforcing many immigration policies, and many for YEARS-myself included-have taken advantage of that lack of enforcement to overstay a tourist visa granted by the Dominican gubmint.

NOW they want to control their borders, just like your German gubmint does-and you b!tch about it?

Yeah, it's a pain...but so what?

If you want to be here do what others-including me-are doing: shut up, get your documents together and become legit and legal.</k>

Save the histrionics for complaining about the strict GERMAN immigration policies that many immigrants think are an unfair, colossal PITA...
It seems to me you have a problem with Germans? We don't speak about illegal staying in DR we talk about people who live here legal for years. In my case for 7 years. Of course I can collect my papers and apply again but its cost a lot of time and money. As they have the right to change their roles, we have the right to protest.