Punta Cana-Bavaro Weather Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcptnl

Nov 12, 2003
Weather

BeachBabe0182 said:
Hey! I was wondering if anyone has ever been to Punta Cana in or around the end of Septmeber and could tell me how the weather is... I just recently got back from there (5/11 - 5/18), I spoke to a travel agen and they said that it is just like it is now.. in Septmeber. Is this true.. Any information would be great!!! Thanks so much!!! :classic:

Check out this link:

http://english.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=punta+cana

And go to the section titled History & Almanac and put in your time but use last year...you will get an idea of what the weather is like for that time period....of course..no guarantees!!

BeachBabe0182

Jun 24, 2004
CaribbeanGeorge said:
Last 3 days raining every afternoon and night, sunny days.

About September, there will be plenty of scattered showers and its the peak for hurricane season !

Thanks! Still not sure if i should book!!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The possibility of any particular area getting a hurricane in September is minimal if you check the track record of hurricanes in the Dominican Republic. Yes, it can happen, and if there is a hurricane, it will most likely happen in September. But if you check our hurricane background page, you will notice how rare these are. See http://dr1.com/weather/hurricanes.shtml

In the past 75 years, Punta Cana has suffered from effects of two hurricanes -- Hortense (1996) and Georges (1998) -- and Hortense was not intense, while Georges passing through the area was weird -- some areas were untouched, in others, hotels lost rooftops.

Another good link to study hurricanes in the Caribbean is http://www.solar.ifa.hawaii.edu/Tropical/GifArchive/wld2003.gif

Shows, most move to the north. So definitely, a hurricane hitting in September should not be a reason to not take advantage of the great rates in September.

My own two cents... as we say on that page, if in the unlikely chance you get caught in a hurricane, you will be in for one big natural spectacle, a show of a lifetime. And for sure your hotel will just change your setting to another part of the island, if it is affected, so then you may end up with a 2 x 1 vacation.

So, concluding, how is weather in September -- the big heat of the summer is over, the odds are heavily stacked in your favor that you will have lovely weather.

BeachBabe0182

Jun 24, 2004
Thanks so much!!!! That was so helpful and made me feel so much better! Thanks all for all your input! I just hope the resorts arent slow... two young couples going... Hope its not boring.. LOL

Hockeyman200

Jun 25, 2004
Punta Cana - Rain?

I am travelling to Punta Cana the first week in August. I keep hearing that this is the most rainy time of year. How often does it rain??
What are the chances of a tropical storm or even a hurricane?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
August is the hottest month of the year. Chances of rain are not higher than other months, my personal experience is that August is a great month for internal tourism, so, cannot recall it being a particular rainy month. Check out our weather and hurricane pages. Note September is the hurricane hit month, and also note that if a hurricane hits one coast of the island, it can leave untouched another coast. This is a big island. Also note that hurricanes fortunately, in the past, have been well spaced out.
See http://dr1.com/travel/expect/weather.shtml
http://www.dr1.com/weather/hurricanes.shtml

To conclude, chances are you will have good weather in August.

babygirl722

Jun 14, 2004
How different is the weather in Higuey from Punta Cana?

Just wondering how different the weather is in Higuey vs Punta Cana? Planning a trip to a resort (Sunscape) located in Higuey and noticed that weather history shows quite a bit more rain in Higuey in November vs. Punta Cana (6inches vs 4inches)

Of course, you can't believe everything you read so I thought I would check the source!

Thanks for your help!! :D

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Please note that Higuey is a city that is 60 kms inland away from Punta Cana beach strip. Sunscape is not located in Higuey. Sunscape is located along the East Coast, in the Punta Cana beach strip area that stretches north and south for about 50 kilometers. Yes, it is more likely to rain in Higuey than in Punta Cana, but the difference could be a five minute occasional shower.

Chances are heavily stacked in your favor that your weather will be great. Lots of sun, and a scattered shower or two, with a cloudy day here and there (not meaning that you can't get burned in a cloudy day). Brings lots of sunblock as it can be expensive to buy it here.

See http://www.dr1.com/travel/expect/weather.shtml

If you dig weather, then see the Weather Links section of http://www.dr1.com/weather/hurricanes.shtml

CurlyTop

Jul 7, 2004
Hi BabyGirl722 - this may be an odd question (maybe not). Did you just get back from Punta Cana recently?
CT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
babygirl722 do not worry too much about about the weather in Punta Cana. The rain we received this last week, July 10th -16th, has been arriving after sunset in the form of thunder showers. The rain during the daylight hours lasts no more than 15 mins at a time. The weather is just great for sunning and the daylight rain gives you an opportunity to take a break from overexposure to the sun. Dolores did mention to bring sunblock, heed her advice.

Regards,
PJT

babygirl722

Jun 14, 2004
CurlyTop

Unfortunately, I did not just return from the DR!

Dolores and all,

Thanks for your help! Interesting that you say that Sunscape is not located in Higuey, because that's what there address states!

carolinaqui

Jul 17, 2004
Punta Cana Weather NOW

Hi. I would like to know if anyone has info on (or a good regular checkpoint for) weather updates in Punta Cana. I am leaving on Friday 7/23 and am concerned as we've had nothing but thunderstorms here in the eastern US.
I've tried using other weather sites, but they usually do not list Punta Cana. I've been there several times and the weather online always says rain, but we arrive in the sunshine and enjoy perfect weather. :nervous:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Let me get this straight.

carolinaqui said:
Hi. I would like to know if anyone has info on (or a good regular checkpoint for) weather updates in Punta Cana. I am leaving on Friday 7/23 and am concerned as we've had nothing but thunderstorms here in the eastern US.
I've tried using other weather sites, but they usually do not list Punta Cana. I've been there several times and the weather online always says rain, but we arrive in the sunshine and enjoy perfect weather. :nervous:

1) In the Eastern US the weather is not what you want in Punta Cana.

2) In the past even though the weater forecast says rain, you arrive in sunshine.

And this makes you NERVOUS.

Imagine this:

- I live in Canada.

- In January it is -20? F. here.

- The PUJ forecast says rain.

Am I nervous - heck NO!! A bad day in the DR is better than a good January day at home.

Caribbean forecasts are notoriously WRONG (but then you know that already) so I can point you to many forecasts but of course you know that they are unreliable and knowing the weather NOW has absolutely no bearing on what will happen a week from now.

Why don't you post from PUJ next week and tell us what the weather is like at that time. Then I can start obsessing about what the weather will be like for my October week in PUJ (LOL).

If you want some sites I WILL give them to you, and they do have a synopsis of today's weather; but I recommend you think about more important issues like packing enough sun block.

Mi dos pesos.

Gregg

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Sunny and Hot

You will observe weather forecasts online on sites such as the Weather Channel or CNN ( http://weather.cnn.com/weather/forecast.jsp?locCode=MDPC ) However, they can be quite repetitious showing sun and high temps, sort of a cookie cutter prognostication. These forecasts may allow you a sense of the climate but is not up to the minute.

Today, the 17th, it was sunny and hot all day in Punta Cana and Bavaro

Regards,
PJT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Sun Block Alert

The sun has come up this Tuesday morning with a vengence, no clouds, and the temperature at 08:45 hrs was 86 degrees Fahrenheit-30 Celsius. You best apply the sun block now or cover up with appropriate attire if today is going to be any repeat of yesterday.

Regards,
PJT

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Friday, 6 August was in Punta Cana for the day. Lovely weather. Blue skies, light breezes. Ditto for Juan Dolio, La Romana we passed on the way to Punta Cana.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Right now at 5:30 pm the temperature is 86 Fahrenheit - 30 Celsius. The day started off warmer at about 89 - 32 with scattered clouds. Around 3:00 pm the dark clouds rolled in and we caught some good cloudbursts and thunder-n-lightning to about 5:00 pm. It was great for the greenery and the better half does not have to water the lawn tonight. It is probable the rains may continue off and on throughout the evening and early morning as long as we are greeted by the sun at sunrise a little after 6:00 am on the morrow.

Regards,
PJT

Status
Not open for further replies.