Purchasing an Invertor

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Needing new batteries.
Is trojan red t-105 still the brand/model of choice??? (damned expensive) Americana in SD is showing about 7krd on their web site,

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Needing new batteries.
Is trojan red t-105 still the brand/model of choice??? (damned expensive) Americana in SD is showing about 7krd on their web site,

They are the only kind I go with after trying others that just did not last as long. They sell at a price that is about $150 US. Been that way for a while. 7,000RD/47.5= $147.37 US

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Needing new batteries.

I have Interstate, and like them so far. Plus Interstate has proven to be very good at honoring guarantees. (I have Interstate gel batteries in my vehicles as well)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have Interstate, and like them so far. Plus Interstate has proven to be very good at honoring guarantees. (I have Interstate gel batteries in my vehicles as well)

Interstate makes the best car batteries and I buy them when I can for cars. I suspect they will be good for deep cycle batteries but have no experience there.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Interstate makes the best car batteries and I buy them when I can for cars. I suspect they will be good for deep cycle batteries but have no experience there.

I have always gone with Trojans, but I always had to top them off occasionally. I've got a year with the Interstates, and have only topped them off once, and very little water at that.

I don't know if that indicates anything, but I'm a happy camper.

Edit: They were $120 each.

Last edited:

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Depend where they are

If they are like in our case in the maids room I would go with gel batteries, cost a bit more but no maintenance required and mine are 5 years already and still all good.

I have always gone with Trojans, but I always had to top them off occasionally. I've got a year with the Interstates, and have only topped them off once, and very little water at that.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004

Well that's 2k cheaper than the trojans. where did you get them I think interstate has a store on delgado/santiago in SD.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
If they are like in our case in the maids room I would go with gel batteries, cost a bit more but no maintenance required and mine are 5 years already and still all good.

My car batteries are gel, my inverter batteries are not.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Well that's 2k cheaper than the trojans. where did you get them I think interstate has a store on delgado/santiago in SD.

Their store is on the corner of Churchill and Calle Luis F. Thomen. A little south of the Metro bus Station.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

What is the AmpHour rating and Brand of the gel batteries?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am researching this road to emergency electricity. I have sold my wonderful 20 KVA diesel genset because we are moving into a much smaller place.

I am going to count on this board for advice.

I have seen cobraboy's posts and will contact those folks this week.

I would like information on where to purchase gel batteries for the inverter (if possible) and/or the Interstate brand.

Of course any and all information for my system will be well received and appreciated

/cordially,

hb

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I had gel batteries on my sailboat. They were OK. Very spendy.

The only advantage is lower maintenance. They do require a different charging algorithm that many inverter's may not have, so make sure your inverter can charge them properly.

Maintaining flooded lead acid batteries in neither challenging nor difficult : check water levels routinely, make sure the plates are never exposed, keep in a well-ventilated location and perform an equilization charge occasionally. I have a local electrician come to the house every three months for battery maintenance for RD$300 a visit, plus distilled water.

Unless you need 100% hands-off batteries in a closed, unventilated location or have money to burn, the value of gel batteries does not exceed that of flooded batteries. In fact, I swiched back to red Trojans on my boat after the gel battery experience.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I personally have seen no reason to go with gel batteries. Higher cost and less capacity where the issues I had when I looked into all battery types. Wet cell lead acid batteries are the most economical decision.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Probably last updated that site years ago.

(And keep in mind, Trojan does not make a Black battery and TRACE never made batteries in case you run across those items and feel tempted to try something different.)

We just saw TRACE batteries in the store today - so yes, you will seem them. Ferreteria Detailista. And the guy working there said something about Trojan black - did not see those. Bought the Trojan rojas. T-105.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
CB, many thanks. Will follow your path. Much appreciated. Now to make that decision: Small genset or inverter....jummmm.

I will have to count shekels and see which is better value...

Many thanks to all who contributed to this good thread.

HB