QUARK (cream cheese)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
james, what is it exactly that you are after? quark only or other types of cottage cheese like breakstones?

james

Jan 14, 2002
Hi dv8,
Quark is the best for what I need, second option would be Breakstones low fat (2%) Must be low fat. Someone told me that Food Club has a low fat product cottage cheese (STGO and STDGO). Cannot understand why all the supermarkets seem to not have the products at the same time and they dont have an answer the ones I asked why not. I hope to go to Santiago Sunday and have a look. Thanks for asking.

james

Jan 14, 2002
Who lives in the Turks Joe? not me thats for sure. North coast DR, 32 years.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
report from stores in PP:
la sirena had none but they are remodeling fridge/freezer sections so they may not be ordering as much stuff.
jose luis had none but they do have regular cream cheese (rica, sosua, philadephia) as well as creamy ricotta.

sorry i could not be of more help.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
also, wanted to add. for a while i did not see any feta cheese in PP either (it's back now). finally i asked the guys in jose luis and they told me there was an issue with licensing/labeling/import.
so maybe cottage cheese and related products are going through some problems in terms of sanitary laws and regulations? there's a new law regarding labeling of dairy products too (since january, i believe).

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
If I found some in SD, would it be worth it to you for me to throw some in a cooler and fill it with ice and throw it on a Metro bus?

By the way, Food Club is a multi product supplier to CCN (National/Jumbo) There's no Food Club stores here.

Last edited:

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Someone posted on Facebook quark will be at playero next week small producer private label looks like...

james

Jan 14, 2002
Quark

I went to Santiago yesterday (Sunday). Found 1 ONLY Food Club 2% fat cottage cheese in National, found 1 ONLY Breakstones 4% cottage cheese in the older National and no other of any kind at Jumbo. I bought the 2 just mentioned even thoough the Breakstones is high fat.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Is it just delivery issues or does it sel out that fast ?

Delivery would be my guess.

The other day at Bravo, they didn't have what I wanted.
The department manager gave me personal phone number to call in the future.

See if you can call Nacional.... 2% is a staple there, as I recall 

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Is it just delivery issues or does it sel out that fast ?

Delivery would be my guess.

The other day at Bravo, they didn't have what I wanted.
The department manager gave me personal phone number to call in the future.

See if you can call Nacional.... 2% is a staple there, as I recall 

Sells out fast.

Folks hoard the stuff when it shows up because either the CNN purchasing folks can't get their act together or they don't understand the demand.

I buy 4-6 every time they get it. I can't do more than that because it can go bad.

I'm so used to the Food Club 2% now that I like it more than the Breakstone stuff.

James, what about Pricesmart?

james

Jan 14, 2002
JD Jones, Sorry I made an error in my report. The Breakstones cottage cheese was in Pricesmart...there was only the one container and it was the high fat version. I did buy it though...."and then there was none"

james

Jan 14, 2002
Well its me back again as there is still no Cottage Cheese (low fat or normal) or Quark showed up in the supermarkets in Cabarete, Sosua or Puerto Plata. None of the places that I was able to speak to anyone had any idea why not. Said that the suppliers just send it to them whenever and when it shows up it shows up. Wierd. Its getting on like 6 weeks none of these available.
In the Playero I filled out those forms for items desired or out of stock for a long time) but they have no response either)

SO if any of you nice folks out there in Santiago happen to see any of those items when you are doing your shopping it would really be appreciated if you were able to let me know. (as I mentioned I bought the only one container of cottage cheese in all of Santiago the previous weekend)

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
If worse comes to worst you can easily make your own cottage cheese. Sounds very simple to make with common ingredients.

Ingredients you need:
1 gallon 2% milk
1⁄2 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Heat the milk to 190F.
You will need a thermometer for other cheeses but you can get by here turning off the heat just before the milk begins to boil.
Add the vinegar and allow the mixture to cool.
When cool, pour the mixture, which now consists of curds and whey into a colander and drain off the whey.
Pour the curds into a bowl and sprinkle on the salt and mix well.
You may wish to use less salt or more, depending on your taste.
A little cream could also be added, for a more silky variation.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I saw about 10-12 of the Food Club 2% yesterday at Jumbo. No QUARK though. The dept guy said it's on and off just as you mentioned.