QUARK (cream cheese)

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Quark available again at Playero in Sosus today

That means it should show up in Jumbo too.

After searching for it for so long every week, I'm going to buy one just to see what it's like.

Maybe it would go good on salads?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
If worse comes to worst you can easily make your own cottage cheese. Sounds very simple to make with common ingredients.

Ingredients you need:
1 gallon 2% milk
1⁄2 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Heat the milk to 190F.
You will need a thermometer for other cheeses but you can get by here turning off the heat just before the milk begins to boil.
Add the vinegar and allow the mixture to cool.
When cool, pour the mixture, which now consists of curds and whey into a colander and drain off the whey.
Pour the curds into a bowl and sprinkle on the salt and mix well.
You may wish to use less salt or more, depending on your taste.
A little cream could also be added, for a more silky variation.

When I was a kid my mother had a wood burning stove and made cottage cheese on a regular basis. I always kind of assumed it had something to do with the fact that the stove had a fire in it from about this time of year until Easter.
Der Fish

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
When I was a kid my mother had a wood burning stove and made cottage cheese on a regular basis. I always kind of assumed it had something to do with the fact that the stove had a fire in it from about this time of year until Easter.
Der Fish

I've become accustomed to the fat free stuff I get at jumbo. I mix in some chopped onions and use it as dressing on my salad dinners.

That and some bacon bits and I'm good to go.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
quark available again in jose luis too. i bought a box and will make lime and matcha cheesecake. the consistency of quark should work well in this recipe.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Yes and I did get the Quark I needed in Playero. At last.

Yayyyyy.. Oddly enough, it hasn't shown up on JUMBO's shelves yet.

I hope you bought all of it and stuck a bunch in the freezer Jim.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
quark is a winner for creamy cheesecakes for me, now i grab a box when i see it. thanks, james.

james

Jan 14, 2002
I actually saw it again in the Playero in Sosua but only for a couple of days.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
quark is a winner for creamy cheesecakes for me, now i grab a box when i see it. thanks, james.

I saw a tub of this at La Sirena.........is this like cream cheese or more like cottage cheese?  I hesitated because I wasn’t sure which it was   

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
In the low fat version it is like a smoother cottage cheese, as in you don't really see the curds. Higher fat version is more like cream cheese.

I don't remember if you can get low and high fat in RD.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I saw a tub of this at La Sirena.........is this like cream cheese or more like cottage cheese?  I hesitated because I wasn’t sure which it was   

the particular quark james is after is very much like cream cheese. maybe even sour cream-ish. very smooth. i use it for extra creamy textured cheesecakes. and it's less calories so win-win situation for me.

Razgreb

Feb 10, 2018
It's probably very tasty.
APOKALIPTIS

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's actually not tasty at all unless you mix it with sugar, eggs and baileys and then bake in 160 degrees for about an hour.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Or layer it between a garlicy tomato sauce, lasagna noodles and mozzarella cheese and bake at 200 for about an hour.

:classic: mob