Question about traveling ( minor)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Had the permission paper before.. I was told I don't need it now... This is what and open forum is for to have discussions . The problem is in this country things change by the moment. Who knows what the heck you need.

Ok, I get it now
You might have disclosed all that at the start.

Have there been any changes to the minor/ permiso situation?

Faster answering would be forthcoming 

Sorry for my part of the confusion 

Feb 7, 2007
what if a child is american, born in the states, currently living in DR, mother is a foreigner (not american) and the father is dominican?

According to my DGM contact if the place of birth states USA on USA passport, even with dual nationality, can leave on USA passport if entered with one, upon paying overstay fee. Else, the same paperwork applies.

Feb 7, 2007
LET ME PUT HIS TWIST ON IT FOR YOU .What if the mother no longer resides in Rd , and she is living in another county

She needs to go to DR consulate and sign Permiso there, if no consulta around, draft permiso, notarized and apostilize and send paperwork to the DR.

There is another option, whoever the child lives with if the mother is not in DR can petition for sole custody, and when granted, they petition the minors court for travel authorization (because Permiso is required also in cases of sole custody, as the other person is not living in the DR the minors family court can approve such travel authorization).

Feb 7, 2007
Had the permission paper before.. I was told I don't need it now... This is what and open forum is for to have discussions . The problem is in this country things change by the moment. Who knows what the heck you need.

Then was then, and now is now. As I said, things changed back in August 2016.my daughter was also traveling with me before without authorization on her European passport, ain't no good now, gotta do the paperwork, and had to do it last December. I was fortunate enough that I checked with my DGM contact 10 days before the travel so I still had the chance to get the paperwork done. We arrived January 13 if she leaves with me again by April 10 she can do so without a permit, after that date, permit is required again.

Feb 7, 2007
At least that's what they did to our children born in Europe, residing in DR, with double nationality and EU passport. 

AND the European authorities are well aware of what the DR requires, when flying back to DR with my daughter, the German border control asked me for a copy of the permit, saying I shall have it as the DR for sure required one from me before leaving. Never happened to me in the years past. It would have been more logical upon entering from DR and not when leaving Schengen, but the border control said they can request that permit during any moment of the trip doesn't matter if just coming in or going back.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
She needs to go to DR consulate and sign Permiso there, if no consulta around, draft permiso, notarized and apostilize and send paperwork to the DR.

There is another option, whoever the child lives with if the mother is not in DR can petition for sole custody, and when granted, they petition the minors court for travel authorization (because Permiso is required also in cases of sole custody, as the other person is not living in the DR the minors family court can approve such travel authorization).
 I get the whole picture now ... Thank you... The key for me is where the child was born .... 

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
If you've been in and out before then that's that.
I come and go with one child and never an ask for anything, only the first time. She is D.R. born and thus no overstay.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
According to my DGM contact if the place of birth states USA on USA passport, even with dual nationality, can leave on USA passport if entered with one, upon paying overstay fee. Else, the same paperwork applies.

thanks. i believe that's the case. the kid does not have a dominican passport, only american and entered DR with it.

sorry about chipping in with my question.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
What type of documentation does a minor need to leave Rd and go to USA for a vacation.. Child was born in Dominican Republic ( Mom is Dominican and Father is American) child has a American Passport
,does not have a Dominican passport.

Is his American passport enough or does he need more Documents? if so what are they?

How old is the child and who is accompanying him/her?

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
My expierence... I'm Canadian, daughter is Canadian with Canadian passport, Dominican born, Dominican mother. I have travelled twice with my child without the mother. The first time I got the letter signed and notarized from mother. At the POP airport (late 2014) they were not interested at all in the letter. Immigration words were shes Canadian go ahead. into Canada no problems. Leaving Canada they asked for the letter and then all ok. This last time (last month) I didn't get the letter but I did have a custody agreement giving me all rights and full custody. Again they were not interested in POP. arriving in Canada they asked for custody papers and glanced at it and waving me through after he saw it was in Spanish.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Just noticed today that at SDQ they now have an immigration desk on departure dedicated to persons travelling with a minor. Right side next to autogates. Suggest one makes use of it if travelling with minor to avoid double queueing.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L23 using Tapatalk

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
2 years ago I traveled with a relative who has a US passport but was born here. He was 15, so no problem! But last year, age 17, at check in, the airline told us that he'd need a permit and that this was a new thing and Immigration wouldn't let him depart.

Early last year, my friend was given a tough time while leaving with her daughter. She had the same papers she had always used before, but they told her that it was missing a clause that was now needed.

It's hard to keep track of these things, as they keep changing. Wouldn't be surprised if in six months, there was a whole new procedure.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
in related news DGM trained 40 new migration inspectors and already placed them at the busiest airports and dajabon border crossing. this is to improve migratory services, allegedly. so i would not be surprised if the checks were more frequent now.
http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...en-aeropuertos-y-puntos-de-control-fronterizo

This is not the first time in the past three or so months that DGM have announced the training of additional staff.

And this is perhaps the explanation why the more rigid procedures that now exist at SDQ and STI have not fully extended, by all accounts, to POP and other airports yet. You need newly or re-trained officers to ensure the new procedures are consistently applied for starters.

To prove a point, the officer assigned to dealing with travelers with minors at SDQ, refused to deal with other travelers. Her job is to process those travelling with minors and she probably knows the specific requirements as posted in post #2 and emphasized in post #7 with clarity.

Things ain't what they used to be.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
last week a family member left with her kids to the states from POP. the father is a foreigner who does not live in DR, kids were born here and have dominican passports. the father signed paperwork in a dominican embassy/consulate in miami to give a dominican lawyer power to sign of permits and whatnot in regards to kids' travels (not sure what this document is called). she had no problem leaving DR or entering USA.

Feb 7, 2007
One more thing, all foreign passports whose holders got to DR but had not left, are locked. Including dual nationality minors. Passports must be unlocked for minor to travel, if he is minor born outside of DR, he needs to pay overstay fee, if it is minor born in the DR must have the Permit issues by DGM. No Permit, no unlock, no unlock, no crossing.

I just remembered this with a post that mentioned a specific booth for processing minors, when I experienced this last December it was just a day or two days after locking procedure being introduced to Punta Cana Airport, and it was chaos, people with minors unlocking, people with overstay unlocking etc. the staff nervous doing some things two times because they were just freaking out in the unlock booth, taking 2 photocopies of one passport and 0 of other, printing paperwork and messing up, misplacing paperwork, then finding it, the supervisor running like crazy around herself stressed out to knees, she accidentally took my daughter's passport with other group's passport to her office and it was one officer saying to another you have it, no, you have it, no it's he who has it, no it's not me it's her, etc. I finally realized the supervisor left with a bunch of passports a moment ago and I ran after her, she had her passport.

It was crazy, 4 DGM people in unlock booth and 2 outside, all freaking out, on top of that every passenger yelling at them to move it and work faster as they were going to miss their flights, etc... Utter chaos. It took us like 40 minutes to get past the unlock booth.

I am sure in meantime they got a hang of it, so should be more streamlined... But, that foreign passport of kid mentioned here, it's most likely now locked and when the father will go through airport and they will be unlocking it the system will ask for paperwork. The permit.

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
One more thing, all foreign passports whose holders got to DR but had not left, are locked. Including dual nationality minors. Passports must be unlocked for minor to travel, if he is minor born outside of DR, he needs to pay overstay fee, if it is minor born in the DR must have the Permit issues by DGM. No Permit, no unlock, no unlock, no crossing.

I just remembered this with a post that mentioned a specific booth for processing minors, when I experienced this last December it was just a day or two days after locking procedure being introduced to Punta Cana Airport, and it was chaos, people with minors unlocking, people with overstay unlocking etc. the staff nervous doing some things two times because they were just freaking out in the unlock booth, taking 2 photocopies of one passport and 0 of other, printing paperwork and messing up, misplacing paperwork, then finding it, the supervisor running like crazy around herself stressed out to knees, she accidentally took my daughter's passport with other group's passport to her office and it was one officer saying to another you have it, no, you have it, no it's he who has it, no it's not me it's her, etc. I finally realized the supervisor left with a bunch of passports a moment ago and I ran after her, she had her passport.

It was crazy, 4 DGM people in unlock booth and 2 outside, all freaking out, on top of that every passenger yelling at them to move it and work faster as they were going to miss their flights, etc... Utter chaos. It took us like 40 minutes to get past the unlock booth.

I am sure in meantime they got a hang of it, so should be more streamlined... But, that foreign passport of kid mentioned here, it's most likely now locked and when the father will go through airport and they will be unlocking it the system will ask for paperwork. The permit.

I am all confused about the passport unlock and DGM permit. can you please explain this in simple words?
My kid is 4 yrs old. US passport (no dominican passport) born in santiago to a dominican mother.
thanks in advance
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am afraid, Rubio is correct. The rules for minors have changed since oct. 2016.
I took my kid out last year alone with me and no permission papers were checked. But this year a friend (similar case- american father, dominican mother and kid with US passport) were stopped from leaving the country without mom's permission.
My kid is born in DR, has my last name (only) on the US passport and we both live in DR. His mom is dominican and lives in santiago. The kid has traveled many times out of the country, with both parents and alone with me as well. Now I am afraid I will need the permission from the mom when leaving the country. as I understand, I may just need a notarized signature of the mom and permission from departamento de menores but not from immigration office with 2000 pesos fee. The rules are very confusing and I have a feeling the process is long and time consuming.
Can someone confirm if they had left the country without problems with their kid accompanied by a foreign single parent in 2017 without any problems? I am afraid rubio is right and rules have changed for everyone.
AZB