Question about traveling ( minor)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Everything I have seen for a child that is born in the DR is that the proper permissions from both parents are needed for the child to leave the DR. I am not sure if simple notarized signatures are needed or the more complicated path through the government offices in Santo Domingo are required from those documents. I am guessing it is the more expensive and complicated documents through the Cancilleria in Santo Domingo.

My wife and I took her grandson with a US passport, born in the US of Dominican parents with his father a citizen in the DR and mother a legal resident in the US, through Santo Domingo to the US without a hitch (except for paying his three month overstay fee since he as a US citizen.) There were no permissions needed at all in our case.

We called the Migracion people in Puerto Plata, Santo Domingo and Punta Cana airports before we made our trip and they all told us that we would have no issues since the child was a US Citizen travelling on a US passport. I suggest calling at least Santo Domingo Migracion at the airport to confirm what you need for a child born in the DR.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Whether it was due to a recent flood of inquiries, or just a coincidence, the Direccion General de Migracion tweeted out the requirements for obtaining permission for adults to leave the country with minors this morning.
"REQUISITOS PARA OBTENER EL PERMISO DE SALIDA DE LOS MENORES DE EDAD"
https://www.migracion.gob.do/

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Whether it was due to a recent flood of inquiries, or just a coincidence, the Direccion General de Migracion tweeted out the requirements for obtaining permission for adults to leave the country with minors this morning.
"REQUISITOS PARA OBTENER EL PERMISO DE SALIDA DE LOS MENORES DE EDAD"
https://www.migracion.gob.do/

Schools out, so likely more minors travelling. A friend of mine remembers how her parents would just look for someone in the airport to "watch out for her and her sister" each time they flew to NY and back as children. Can't do that any more like back in the day, but not everyone may realize it!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Update posted today about extended hours to get paperwork for child to travel:

MIGRACIÓN EXTIENDE HORARIO PARA EMISIÓN DE CERTIFICACIÓN SALIDA DE MENORES

También habilita una nueva oficina de recepción de documentos e incrementa el personal de atención al usuario.
Santo Domingo.La Dirección General de Migración(DGM), en respuesta a la alta demanda de servicios durante el período vacacional junio-agosto 2017, ha dispuesto la extensión provisional del horario laboral en la División de Certificaciones, departamento encargado de la expedición de permisos de salidas de menores de edad y movimientos migratorios.

La medida entró en vigencia a partir del lunes 19 de junio 2017 y según lo planificado, el nuevo horario de servicios será desde las 08:00 am hasta las 06:00 pm de lunes a viernes y los sábados de 08:00 a 12:00,y se extenderá hasta el 31 de julio de los corrientes, en la oficina ubicada en Malecón Center en la Avenida George Washington, Distrito Nacional.

Adicionalmente, fue habilitada una nueva oficina de recepción de documentos y también se incrementó el personal de atención al usuario, con lo cual se reducirá significativamente el tiempo de espera para la entrega de los permisos.

La institución resaltó que este reajuste de horario temporal, incluirá la oficina regional de Migración en Santiago, para facilitar el proceso de obtención del permiso a los ciudadanos residentes en la zona del Cibao.
Asimismo podrán solicitar dichos servicios en las oficinas regionales de Migración en Puerto Plata y Punta Cana, en horario normal de 08:00 am a 04:00 pm.

OFICINA DE COMUNICACIONES
23 de junio de 2017.

bennymack

Apr 12, 2006
Per the information on the websites below, any families living here with Dominican residency, will need to get permission for their children to fly with just one parent or alone. This was a surprise to us. We ran into it in Santo Domingo in June of 2016. Here are the websites that talk about minors traveling. The last section in the first website, has a chart with a lot of different scenarios, sharing if you do or don't need permission for each. The second website is specifically for extrajeros with residency.

https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/Index/30

https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/index/31

Hope this helps!