Quicky

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I did read your post.......

and understood that you found the phrase "offensive". However might I remind you that most people would not have known the "double" meaning it could have. To know the "other" connotation one must have been exposed to the "racist" area of the southern USA or be either a racist or a black person who has suffered racial slurs.
Most "northerners", either Canadian or American and most Dominicans would have taken the phrase at face value (in which it was written) and rightfully assumed raccoon.
Since you took the time to explain the connotation that you placed on it I have responded as best I can to your taking a "hillbilly" expression and injecting a racial slant that was not intended.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
MommC.

Actually you have it all wrong. In the South if you say "Coon Hunting" people automaticaly assume you mean Raccn Hunting. It is only the Liberals fromthe NorthEast who would think of the Racist connotations. Where do you think the term "Knee Jerk Liberal" comes from?

Mondongo.

You have to come to grips with the fact that most people are not from NY. Just because a term or word is offensive to you do people have to not use it even if it is not intended to be offensive? Do people of a certain Color or ethnic Background have the right to use a word but also can tell others that they can't? I refer to the word "nigger." Is it ok for Blacks to use it but not people of other races? I find that racist.

Everybody!

Haven't you all heard of "Stick and Stones?"

Tony C.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
TonyC and MommC..If you ask the average white guy/gal in the US canada what "coon hunting" is....you will probably will get a blank stare. My guess is that most white folk are not racoon hunters or racists....However, If you ask the average black person what "coon hunting" is, my guess is that a larger percentage of them will see that as a racist term.....and there is a very good reason for that...most blacks in the USA have heard all these racial terms over and over again....heck, i'm not black, and I have had them directed at me also.

sooooo......

This is a free country. You can say whatever (pretty much) you want. If I ask you politely not to use certain (but VERY FEW) terms around me, then that is your choice to make. If you make these statements, then just be prepared to get an earful of tripe!Now...off to bed....18 holes await me tomorrow morning...

Last edited:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
mondongo said:
TonyC and MommC..If you ask the average white guy/gal in the US canada what "coon hunting" is....you will probably will get a blank stare.

Wrong again my Culinary challenged friend!
The average american Guy/gal(not from NY) would know that "Coon Hunting" means Raccoon Hunting! You should ge out more!

Tony C.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Just one small question Mondongo......

Quote If you ask the average white guy/gal in the US canada what "coon hunting" is....you will probably will get a blank stare. My guess is that most white folk are not racoon hunters or racists....However, If you ask the average black person what "coon hunting" is, my guess is that a larger percentage of them will see that as a racist term.....Unquote

If the average white guy/gal doesn't know what "coon hunting" is and the average black person sees that phrase as racist - who's calling who "coons"??????????????

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Your payments are late!!

TonyC: you have a past due account for the Reading Comprehension 101 class I'm giving you. I will not help you anymore unless payment is received in full.

MommC: you are also in arrears for the Logic for Poets class you seem to be struggling with. Please remit payment immediately.

Prof. Tripe, M.D.,Phd,A.S.S

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Re: K.I.S.S. me I'm Dominican!

mondongo said:

Now a couple assertions:

1) Dr1 message board is not in the backwoods of West Virginia.
2) the context of the usage of the phrase "coon hunting" was the discussion of two black men who were being accused of speaking "ebonics".
3) there have been no references to small game hunting in this thread.
4) in back-to-back sentences, MommC used the phrase "coon hunting" and ebonics.

Conclusion: the context clearly shows malicious intent on MommC's part.

most blacks in the USA have heard all these racial terms over and over again....heck, i'm not black, and I have had them directed at me also.

The reading comphrehension class has been cancelled due to the incompetence of the professor. And the Logics for Poets class has been deemed a total farse due to the originator of the course material.

It doesn't take much reading comprehension to examine the above quote and see who really is the racist in this thread.
Assertion # 1 fails to mention that the thread started as a "take" on Hillbillies (of which West Virginia has many including if memory serves the "Beverly Hillbillies referred to by Bob Saunders).
Assertion #2 is totally erroneous as the discussion was of Wud's erroneous "hillbilly" post about one man talking to a judge(no colour given however seen one doesn't hear of "black" hillbillies one must assume both men were white). It was HB who "corrected" Wud and said his supposed "Hillbilly" came off sounding more like an "ebonic speaker".
assertion #4 has already been replied to in this thread.
Hence the "Conclusion" shows a racist trying to turn attention from himself and point the finger at someone else.

The final quote from a subsequent post by the same person shoes that although he himself has been targetted as the recipient of racial slurs and is "wounded" by them,he himself as a Dominican harbours racist thoughts.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
jazzcom said:
Wow, I aint even gonna get into this one.

I am affraid that my humor may just not cut it here now.

Haven't you learned anything Jazz? There are 2 things that Canadians women and Dominicans have in common. Sankies and a very weak sense of humor!

Tony C.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Well Tony C.........

Some Canadian women don't find being called a racist "humorous" especially when it goes against the grain and we are anything but!
Seems to me I'm not the one that has a problem with humour, rather it is the person who took a "humorus" post and turned it into something it wasn't!!!

My apologies to HB for having his thread "hijacked"!!!

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Come on guys/gals...don't take it so personally...what's a little nasty brawl betwen friends?...plus, can't a culinary challenged piece of tripe have a lttle fun too?...as Jazzcom likes to say (paraphrased) :"I have broad shoulders, I can take it as well as I can dish it out". No harm done on my part.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
No harm done? You take a Joke thread, that was posted as a joke where it belonged and made people angry at each other for no reasons other than you being your old ANAL self.

I stuck up for you the other day. Someone said that you weren't good enough to lick the DOG DOO off of their shoes. I said you were!

Escott