Radio reporter murdered during live show in San Pedro de Macoris

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
Dominican Republic radio hosts killed during Facebook Live broadcast

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/15/world/dominican-republic-radio-facebook-shooting-trnd/index.html

I wonder if this crime have anything to do with the reporting subject ?  I remember reading some where that one of our expresidentes has or had stocks, vested interest, in said company. Just wondering ...  

Have a great day everyone!

My Dominican says they reported on a company mis handling waste and it got shut down and that's why they got killed, not sure if he saw it on news or its Coconut Telegraph lol

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Absolutely there is a corruption scandal here, and there will be disinformation spewed to mislead.  To think otherwise is naive.  Either the police or another sicario got him- if he is in fact the killer.  The whole story is an example of what happens so often when corruption is exposed. While I will always remain cynical, I can only hope these two voices of the gritty, industrial, working class San Pedro de Macorís did not die in vain.  

http://www.diariolibre.com/m/notici...dos-comunicadores-san-pedro-macoris-FB6300546

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Speculation, and as you stated "unofficial word on the street". There are many unofficial words. Please stick to facts as they are released. This is an ongoing investigation, and the reason I have not posted anything regarding it. The facts will emerge shortly.

oftentimes, rumors in the streets have a degree of truth to them. Even police use these rumors to identify suspects. In countries like the DR and in small towns, those rumors are often true. What are you the DR1 General Counsel?

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
 My apologies SanPedrogringo, I didn't realize that I needed permission from your overruling authority to post about the topic. From my experience with "Leo", he was a professional and hardworking individual.  Part of my post was clearly identified as speculation, yes.  The other part was expressing my condolences. I will stick to the ever so reliable and trustworthy periódicos. 

Nice reply Auryn. Gringo does not understand the DR mindset. If you bring up corruption, you are bound to get killed, period.

Feb 7, 2007
What company are we talking about here?

Edit: I see it's been mentioned previously as a local Zona Franca company. No need to mention names, so we all stay on the safe side.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
Los muertos no hablan.

His profile does not make him to be a logical intellectual author for such a crime.

Una fuente policial dijo, a Diario Libre, que a Rodríguez se le ordenó entregarse, pero que prefirió enfrentar a tiros a los agentes, que se vieron obligados a repeler la agresión. "If they are about to get you, make sure you die. Your family will be taken care of." were most likely his orders. We've seen that in all Colombian narcoseries. He was not going to be alive, even if captured alive he would have an accident in preventive jail the first night.

Last edited:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The killer was well known to the employees of the radio station; he had visited them on numerous occasions.

He was identified by the secretary.

Some news stations have reported she has since died from her injuries, others are saying she is still alive and recuperating.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
oftentimes, rumors in the streets have a degree of truth to them. Even police use these rumors to identify suspects. In countries like the DR and in small towns, those rumors are often true. What are you the DR1 General Counsel?

Yes, you are correct, that sometimes the rumors have a degree of truth to them, when these rumors are consistent. In regards to this tragedy, there were rumors all over the place and the local authorities do not have the resources to follow them all. The suspect was still on the loose. No, I am not DR1's General Counsel, and never proclaimed to be.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Nice reply Auryn. Gringo does not understand the DR mindset. If you bring up corruption, you are bound to get killed, period.

I'm not here to get into yet another sword fight with other posters, but you shouldn't pass judgments on people you don't know. I understand the DR mindset more than some posters may want to believe. Don't let the word gringo following San Pedro mislead you. You may not have liked what I posted, but sometimes the truth hurts. The reality is that there was an active investigation and manhunt underway, and more speculation added to the many false rumors that were being spread was impeding the investigation. As mentioned above, no I am not the General Counsel of DR1. But, as learned through DR1, I may be 1 of 2 posters from San Pedro de Macoris, with the other being Rivas31. So, yes, maybe I do know just a little bit more about what is occurring here in real time. I wouldn't tell people in Santiago, Santo Domingo, the Northcoast, or wherever for that matter what was occurring in front of their house, if I wasn't there. I also would never try to educate an economist on the economy. A chef in regards to cooking. An engineer on engineering. But I do have a background in a certain world/profession that yes, was my forte. It was this background which has put me in close touch with many people that were/are involved in this investigation. Some may resent this. Why? Only you know. I once posted background information about myself on another thread. Not to brag, but to explain my experience and the basis for my opinions and responses, and the post was deleted by a Mod. Why? I don't know. Maybe too much personal information? Ok, understood, but it was only provided to assist those that seem to take major umbrage with some of my postings.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I'm not here to get into yet another sword fight with other posters, but you shouldn't pass judgments on people you don't know. I understand the DR mindset more than some posters may want to believe. Don't let the word gringo following San Pedro mislead you. You may not have liked what I posted, but sometimes the truth hurts. The reality is that there was an active investigation and manhunt underway, and more speculation added to the many false rumors that were being spread was impeding the investigation. As mentioned above, no I am not the General Counsel of DR1. But, as learned through DR1, I may be 1 of 2 posters from San Pedro de Macoris, with the other being Rivas31. So, yes, maybe I do know just a little bit more about what is occurring here in real time. I wouldn't tell people in Santiago, Santo Domingo, the Northcoast, or wherever for that matter what was occurring in front of their house, if I wasn't there. I also would never try to educate an economist on the economy. A chef in regards to cooking. An engineer on engineering. But I do have a background in a certain world/profession that yes, was my forte. It was this background which has put me in close touch with many people that were/are involved in this investigation. Some may resent this. Why? Only you know. I once posted background information about myself on another thread. Not to brag, but to explain my experience and the basis for my opinions and responses, and the post was deleted by a Mod. Why? I don't know. Maybe too much personal information? Ok, understood, but it was only provided to assist those that seem to take major umbrage with some of my postings.

What was your previous profession?  A cop?  There's nothing wrong with posting your profession on here.  i'm an engineer.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Yes and while you certainly will have an ear to the ground living in San Pedro, you do not have the right to tell other posters what they can or cannot post. It has nothing to do with resent on my part. There is no need to get territorial, or make assumptions about the locations or experiences of other contributing dr1 members either.

Like I said before, I hope the truth comes out but I will not take what the newspapers say as the gospel - that's for sure.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
el caribe has an article with an explanation of this crime, according to a politician from PRSC:
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2017/02/...s-fue-por-conflicto-por-venta-tierras-del-cea

the story is very complicated and bad writing does not help much. but as far as i can make it out the alleged issue was regarding payment for the land. there are also further scandals involving more violent acts. maybe someone with more patience can go through this stream of consciousness and list the main points. i cannot get over the fact that the last, longest paragraph consists of only three sentences...

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
el caribe has an article with an explanation of this crime, according to a politician from PRSC:
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2017/02/...s-fue-por-conflicto-por-venta-tierras-del-cea

the story is very complicated and bad writing does not help much. but as far as i can make it out the alleged issue was regarding payment for the land. there are also further scandals involving more violent acts. maybe someone with more patience can go through this stream of consciousness and list the main points. i cannot get over the fact that the last, longest paragraph consists of only three sentences...

Ahora ya tu sabes. This account is the truth from what I have heard. RIP.

Matilda

Feb 7, 2007
The assassin bought land from CEA which later sold it supposedly to a son of politician and canceled the sale. No land no money back.

CEA representative was in a radio program some time ago and this guy came in to kill him, but was calmed down.

The now deceased radio host offered to mediate.

After some time the assassin got 200k pesos from CEA through the mediator but assassin said no good wants more.

The now deceased radio host refused to be involved any further as mediator.

A son of local politician was shot 4 times in connection with this deal and another politician's Finca was set on fire.

Radio host got killed soon after that.

People say there were two groups after the assessin, one from police and one some muscle boys from CEA.

Assassin was not going to get alive from this because people from CEA did not want him to talk about supposed corruption with land sale.

Calls for chief of police to clear up what happened the night the assessin was killed or committed suicide

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
Sad that he was just trying to bring attention to the environmental pollution and was killed after over 30 years of operating in SPM. May he rest in peace.

Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

..........and part of it stated the reason for his killing which has not been determined as yet

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
No hitmen/hired assassins. No ties to environmental pollution. May all respective parties Rest In Peace.

From DR1 Daily News - Thursday, 2 March 2017:

CEA held responsible for double crime in San Pedro de Macorís
The high-ranking government commission appointed by President Danilo Medina to investigate the murder of two broadcasters in San Pedro de Macorís concluded that the State Sugar Council (CEA) should be held responsible for three deaths, as reported in MetroRD. The murders happened on 14 and 15 February 2017, when enraged José Rodríguez barged in on the broadcasters who were at the radio station that is located in a city shopping mall. The Police reported that Rodríguez committed suicide from accosted by the Police. 

In a press conference on Wednesday, 1 March 2017, legal advisor to the President Flavio Darío Espinal read from the commission report: “What can be said is that José Rodríguez was a victim of an obscure dysfunctional system, questionable from an ethics perspective, that operates in the State Sugar Council (CEA), causing him an enormous frustration, anxiety and desperation that unleashed the rage that caused the tragic deaths of Leo Martínez and Luis Medina and his own death, and the serious injuries to Dayana García.” 

The investigation revealed that Rodríguez had been negotiating for two years with the CEA and had paid RD$627,739 for the land in San Pedro de Macorís, only to discover that the government entity would maneuver and renegotiate the same property and when Rodríguez demanded the money he had paid, he only received RD$119,000. 

On the day of the crime, Rodríguez had demanded the missing cash and when he did not receive a satisfactory response from Leo Martínez, who had served as mediator between himself and the CEA, filled with rage he opened fire against the three persons that were in the radio station where Leo Martínez worked. 

The commission prepared a 24-page chronological summary of the events leading to the murder of the two broadcasters. 

Espinal said that the commission has recommended an overhaul of the management of the CEA (that had already taken place), removal of the eastern regional director of the CEA, and the intervening of the CEA departments that deal with the sale of property to third parties. Changes in the directors for Boca Chica and Hato Nuevo are recommended.  

An assessment of the administrative staff to determine if these have the necessary skills and if not proceed with their cancellations is also recommended. The commission also recommends a purge of all staff that does not carry out any valuable role. 

It also recommends that the CEA receive budget allotments so not to depend on the sale of property to avoid more corrupt acts. 

The commission recommended giving six months to the commission that is assessing the CEA property to complete the land inventory. 

The commission also delegates in the Attorney General Office determining if any CEA officer should be sent to justice. 

In addition to legal advisor Flavio Darío Espinal, the other members of the commission are the director of the Permanent Commission for State Land Titling José Dantes and the director of Government Ethics and Integrity, Lidio Cadet.  

http://presidencia.gob.do/noticias/c...oder-ejecutivo

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015