Radio reporter murdered during live show in San Pedro de Macoris

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Kipling333 - What does your source say about the murders in the radio station in SPM? I read recently that they have not arrested those responsible.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I thought that they had arrested the killer and that he was in prison ..he was identified by the station secretary . Maybe I am wrong but I thought the motive was the only thing in doubt . The station had publicly stated that a small business had badly polluted an inlet along the river but then there was the issue that land in that location had been sold illegally and at a very low price and there were problems with the title. I had always regarded the second issue as a blind. The people they have not arrested are accessories to the murder .. Will try to find out

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I thought that they had arrested the killer and that he was in prison ..he was identified by the station secretary . Maybe I am wrong but I thought the motive was the only thing in doubt . The station had publicly stated that a small business had badly polluted an inlet along the river but then there was the issue that land in that location had been sold illegally and at a very low price and there were problems with the title. I had always regarded the second issue as a blind. The people they have not arrested are accessories to the murder .. Will try to find out

The killer in the radio station case committed suicide several days later, while being pursued by police during a large manhunt. He was tracked down to the apartment complex across the street from the Zona Franca, on the road that exits San Pedro, and leads to La Romana. The murders had nothing to do with the contamination of the lagoon from the textile business in the Zona Franca (as widely speculated on social media), but rather the murderer being a victim to a land swindle where he lost his entire life savings. The victims in the radio station had attempted to act as intermediaries in the dispute over the land conflict, but nothing was resolved. The man went over the deep end, and killed two innocent men. Very sad situation all around.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Thank you for that information which I had missed..yes I know that rather depressing apartment area opposite zona franca ..all seems so strange when he had been positively identified many months ago ..I wonder if he remained in San Pedro all the time or had just returned because once the police really are on to you, they seem to find you quite quickly.
More proof yet of false information in the public arena .

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
My mistake. Thinking back, I thought it was a few days later. It was actually the next night. The guy was on the run for approximately 36 hours. He committed the murders on the morning of February 14th, and committed suicide the next night within the confines of La Multi (the apartment complex). It seemed like a longer amount of time due to the brutal nature of the crime, the false speculations involved, media coverage, and the large scale manhunt for the suspect. It was a long 36 hours. Besides knowing several people directly involved in the manhunt, I live down the road from the scene of the crime (Jumbo), as well as several of the victim's co-workers at the radio station. There was a thread on here regarding it. Here's a link to an article regarding the suicide/apprehension. It's in Spanish, but you can copy and paste it into Google Translate if need be.
Muere en San Pedro de Macorís Sospechoso de Asesinar a Dos Locutores:
http://noticiassin.com/2017/02/muer...esunto-autor-de-asesinato-a-locutores-en-spm/

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It has been reported in the press that the person responsible (not for the actual killings but the reason behind them) is well known but due to his elevated position within the government, he is unlikely to be prosecuted, Plus ca change.

matilda

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It has been reported in the press that the person responsible (not for the actual killings but the reason behind them) is well known but due to his elevated position within the government, he is unlikely to be prosecuted, Plus ca change.

matilda

With respect to you and your sources, I do not think that this is correct ..I believe that he has been removed from his post,,albeit with a pension

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Thank you Sanpedrogringo for the correction ..many would not have done that !! ,,Yes I now remember the reporting of the final incident.. People in the area said that they heard the police shooting at the man and that he had not committed suicide . The police denied it all and said that the man had been dead for some time ..The government medical officer said that he found only one bullet in the deceased .I thought the area mentioned was near the Hato Mayor road but I suppose the details now are not material . I still do not fully understand why he wanted to shoot the two radio people instead of the officer who was selling government land without due process. A very sad case . As was the case of the drivers of the gua guas who were murdered so their buses could be stolen and sent to Haiti ...case still not concluded .

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
With respect to you and your sources, I do not think that this is correct ..I believe that he has been removed from his post,,albeit with a pension

The source was the press. Yes he was removed from post, yes with generous pension, and as I said will not be prosecuted. Plus ca change.

Matilda