$RD 1200 for a local pie guru

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
family and frens, basically. i like to see them all grow fat so my size S looks even nicer in comparison ;)

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
When doing the measurements for your ingredients - Just remember Pi are round cornbread are squared.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Scratch the bakery idea then. Tag you're it DV8. Thank you. Tell me where and when and I'll be there.

i can make your pie the first dish of the day so it has time to cool. will you be coming using a car or public transport?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Little Jack Horner
BY MOTHER GOOSE

Little Jack Horner (aka Gringo)
Sat in the corner, in dv8's house
Eating a Christmas pie;
He put in his thumbkin,
And pulled out a pumpkin,
And said, "What a good boy am I!"

Last edited:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Little Jack Horner
BY MOTHER GOOSE

Little Jack Horner (aka Gringo)
Sat in the corner, in dv8's house
Eating a Christmas pie;
He put in his thumbkin,
And pulled out a pumpkin,
And said, "What a good boy am I!"

No mas tragos para ti esta noche !

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
The effect that I am going for is that homemade flare and texture with that little bit of "Mom" that commercial bakeries can't quite duplicate. I'm not suggesting the baker must be female, only that stuff mixed with a wooden spoon at home with a bit of individuality produces a finished product that is subtly different each time but is always recognizable.

I figured if I am going to shell out $30 CDN for a pie, I should dream big. I don't expect a successful quest but if you don't ask. I will fall back to the original plan if need be.

Now commercial Christmas fruit cake in two pound blocks full of colourful bits of questionable fruit and the density of a brick, that I can get behind in a big way. Thought about ordering some from Amazon this year but I was already over my shipping bidget. :)

If you want the recipe for a Rum Cake pm me. All you need is a bundt pan. The consistency is that of a heavier sponge cake, with rum and nuts, add a little whip cream and it is wonderful. Rum cake gets better as it ages over a couple of days.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
i can make your pie the first dish of the day so it has time to cool. will you be coming using a car or public transport?

Ever stick a little vinegar in the mix? A measly tablespoon makes for a perfect crust.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Ever stick a little vinegar in the mix? A measly tablespoon makes for a perfect crust.

thanks for the tip. i will try it with some of my tarts. but for pumpkin pie i will go with a traditional recipe. i don't know if i can get the crust OP longs for but i will put my heart into it :)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'll bring some extra pumpkin and a bag of flour. I'm staying until you get it right. Should I bring my own Christmas presents or do you have extras? :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I'll bring some extra pumpkin and a bag of flour. I'm staying until you get it right. Should I bring my own Christmas presents or do you have extras? :)

no need :) i have about a kilo of homemade puree and imported flour, spanish, italian and american. there ain't no gifts under festivus pole but we can air our grievances :)