reflections of Vodou

dave6

Aug 31, 2010
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Us2tYEQsjO0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This movie scared the living **** out of me in 1975.

i saw this way back when. scared the **** out of me when i was a little boy. i had forgotten it for the past two decades. thanks for jolting that memory back into the forefront of my mind.

dave6

Aug 31, 2010
I too have a pin doll, On one side is the anti-cop, anti-establishment guy Professor Gates and on the other side is Rev Al Sharpton both are overly concerned with skin pigmentation.
To Xavier Onassis, congratulations on your ownership of a Mercedes, truly impressive and if you have a problem with cops in Miami I strongly advise you not to live on the Island full time, as the Police play by a totally different set of rules here. Being inconvenienced will be the least of your concerns.

I do not think the cop incident should reflect on gates insight and knowledge or his documentary work. but i do recall when it happened. I was visiting the USA/Massachusetts when it happened so there was a big hype. what frustrated me was the fact that the police officer saw a man trying to budge a door to a house. the cop asked the man to stop and give him ID the man" gates" flips out and screams at the cop. let me tell you a story about me the light skinned/white man in Haiti.
One day in the city of Cap Haitien there is a road block.
police are checking for south/central american drug dealers suspected of being in the country. ever vehicle is waved on except!! the one i am in being i was the only person that was light skinned/caucasoid enough to fit the profile of this suspected criminal element.
I am asked to step out of the vehicle and a UZI and pointed at me.
The police man begins to question me in spanish i reply in creole.
I state I am on my way home. this is were i work and this is who i am. he asks for my ID.
he glances at it. he saus ok move along have a nice day.
the end. imagine if i began screaming " you racist son of a bitch" your stopping me because im white!!!!!!!!!! do you think i would be in a good spot?

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012
The vision of Vud? explained by Pr Dagoberto Tejada Ortiz : see 2nd link

"...Para justificar sus actividades en contra del vud?, los imperialistas, contando con la ayuda, como vimos anteriormente, de la iglesia cat?lica, en su campa?a antisupersticiosa, de car?cter inquisidora medieval y fascista, orquestaron durante a?os una campa?a de mala fe, racista, discriminadora, en la que se planteaba que el atraso de Hait?, era responsabilidad de su origen africano y sobre todo, del vud?, culto diab?lico, degradante a la dignidad humana, verg?enza para occidente y el mundo civilizado...."

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012
Another crucial point pointed by PR Tejada : 2nd link

"...En este sentido, el m?s valiente de todos nosotros, ha sido el folklorista Fradique Lizardo quien afirm?: “El hecho de que a nuestro territorio llegaron esclavos africanos con sus creencias religiosas mucho antes de la existencia de la colonia francesa de Saint Domingue y por supuesto del nacimiento de la naci?n haitiana, echa por tierra la afirmaci?n de que el vud? arribara a nuestro pa?s procedente de Hait?..."

I agree 100 % with this statement, the group called arar?s ( sometimes called ardas or arad?) and known for practising vud? in Haiti, entered first on the Spanish side of la Hispaniola , so we can say without fear that they also practised the religion of their ancestors : Vud?.

Carlos Larrazabal Blanco, says that the arar?s founded in the 17th century 2 confreries in Santo Domingo : cofradias de San Cosme and San Dami?n.

He also recorded some slaves on the Spanish side with the last name Arara before Saint Domingue existed officially in 1697( until late 18th century some slaves on the Spanish side had still their last name according to their African original tribe")

- Antonia Arar? married to Damian Herero Angola in 1658

- Luc?a Arar? married to Pedro Congo in 1667

- Nicolas Arar? , 1672

- Maria Ard?, 1690

So technically speaking vud? with all probability started first on the Spanish side of la Hispaniola, since the first Africans of the bight of Benin were introduced there first ( before Haiti became a slave plantation economy in the 18 th century).

Last edited:

dave6

Aug 31, 2010

"...En este sentido, el m?s valiente de todos nosotros, ha sido el folklorista Fradique Lizardo quien afirm?: ?El hecho de que a nuestro territorio llegaron esclavos africanos con sus creencias religiosas mucho antes de la existencia de la colonia francesa de Saint Domingue y por supuesto del nacimiento de la naci?n haitiana, echa por tierra la afirmaci?n de que el vud? arribara a nuestro pa?s procedente de Hait?..."

I agree 100 % with this statement, the group called arar?s ( sometimes called ardas or arad?) and known for practising vud? in Haiti, entered first on the Spanish side of la Hispaniola , so we can say without fear that they also practised the religion of their ancestors : Vud?.

Carlos Larrazabal Blanco, says that the arar?s founded in the 17th century 2 confreries in Santo Domingo : cofradias de San Cosme and San Dami?n.

He also recorded some slaves on the Spanish side with the last name Arara before Saint Domingue existed officially in 1697( until late 18th century some slaves on the Spanish side had still their last name according to their African original tribe")

- Nicolas Arar? , 1672

- Maria Ard?, 1690

So technically speaking vud? with all probability started first on the Spanish side of la Hispaniola, since the first Africans of the bight of Benin were introduced there first ( before Haiti became a slave plantation economy in the 18 th century).

your always a fountain of interesting info kmel thanks

dave6

Aug 31, 2010
I heard that Haiti has some nice places and beaches, personally I will visit Haiti one day

yes there are some very nice beaches and areas but when you re a local and live your life in Haiti the inconvenience, stress and problems of the country make the idea of being a tourist looking for fun in the sun a abstract idea. but tourism is increasing in Haiti and i am sure you can have a good time.

TP666

Sep 6, 2005
In this PBS documentary, Prof. Gates analyses the effects of Africa and its culture on Haiti and the DR, and even presents a scholarly guy who speaks of voodoo as a very serious religion. But it is pretty hard to reconcile this with the silliness of voodoo as it generally is practiced. Santer?a is not much different, so far as my limited experiences with it have seemed to me. Of course, if a totally logical being from say, the Planet Vulcan, were to pay a visit to most of the world's religions, it seems that they might not fare much better. I think there is a difference between brujeria and voodoo, though.

http://http://www.pbs.org/wnet/black-in-latin-america/featured/haiti-the-dominican-republic-an-island-divided-watch-full-episode/165/

Same junk as the RC church! Let me hang garlic over my front door said the Italian.

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012
In the same line of Vodou but in North Africa (Morocco) : Gnawa

Not presented in this video but the sacrifice animals to spiritual beings, fall in Transe , it is the powerful african heritage (spiritual of course and not witchcraft) present in Vodou, Candombl?, Santeria, Gnawa and many others religious/spiritual forms

[video=youtube;V5UFau6ZOLg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5UFau6ZOLg[/video]

Last edited:

Dumbar

Dec 16, 2010
Resp?, but there's no such thing like Dominican Vodou. Vodou stand by itself with no mixtures. 21 division (which is the so called Dominican Vodou) mixes a lot.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Resp?, but there's no such thing like Dominican Vodou. Vodou stand by itself with no mixtures. 21 division (which is the so called Dominican Vodou) mixes a lot.

This is the Haiti forum - we're discussing Haitian Voudou.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
very interesting. thank you.

"...En este sentido, el m?s valiente de todos nosotros, ha sido el folklorista Fradique Lizardo quien afirm?: ?El hecho de que a nuestro territorio llegaron esclavos africanos con sus creencias religiosas mucho antes de la existencia de la colonia francesa de Saint Domingue y por supuesto del nacimiento de la naci?n haitiana, echa por tierra la afirmaci?n de que el vud? arribara a nuestro pa?s procedente de Hait?..."

- Nicolas Arar? , 1672

- Maria Ard?, 1690