reflections of Vodou

dave6

Aug 31, 2010
you should read many of the interviews with me or listen to one of the many interviews with me if you are interested about who I am and what i do. but i am most certainly not a missionary.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
you should read many of the interviews with me or listen to one of the many interviews with me if you are interested about who I am and what i do. but i am most certainly not a missionary.

So what are you?

You were on a pleasure vacation in Haiti?

Post one of these interviews.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Gosh!
I never bothered to read a Haiti thread before.

Are you guys always so fractious?
I've seen 'Voodoo' all over Africa and it's all charlatanism, no more, no less. There is no spirit or spiritualism.

If one chooses to believe in a a benign spirit, then one must accept that there are more nasties outside trying to get ya.
I don't.

So far, I have no desire to visit Haiti, is there a reason?
What am I missing?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Brujeria is STILL BAD!!!

this attitude is one of the reasons that Haiti does not progress.. for instance.. aid groups cannot give medical aid and training to the hougans and mambos for THEM to distribute among the people because that would be somehow promoting "socery" and "empowering the witch doctor" . So rather than incorporate the local culture, the aid groups have set up another system in contrast to it. Just food for thought.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
Gosh!
I never bothered to read a Haiti thread before.

Are you guys always so fractious?
I've seen 'Voodoo' all over Africa and it's all charlatanism, no more, no less. There is no spirit or spiritualism.

If one chooses to believe in a a benign spirit, then one must accept that there are more nasties outside trying to get ya.
I don't.

So far, I have no desire to visit Haiti, is there a reason?
What am I missing?

1. Voodoo in africa is not Haitian Vaudou.

2. You don't need a reason...you should not have any desire to visit Haiti.

Only Haitians can enjoy Haiti.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
this attitude is one of the reasons that Haiti does not progress.. for instance.. aid groups cannot give medical aid and training to the hougans and mambos for THEM to distribute among the people because that would be somehow promoting "socery" and "empowering the witch doctor" . So rather than incorporate the local culture, the aid groups have set up another system in contrast to it. Just food for thought.

Good point mountainannie.

But it is the fault of the haitians themselves...for failing to protect their Haitian Vaudou religion from religious imperialism.

The most virulent anti-vaudou creatures are haitian protestants.

I am looking forward to a head to head combat...if the vaudouizants would stop being so peaceful.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
1. Voodoo in africa is not Haitian Vaudou.

2. You don't need a reason...you should not have any desire to visit Haiti.

Only Haitians can enjoy Haiti.

I'll go with that...

Voodoo, Vaudou.Is it just because the spelling is different?

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012
I'll go with that...

Voodoo, Vaudou, .Is it just because the spelling is different?

First, Voodoo in Africa is only located and sometimes still practised in the Bight of Benin ( mainly in Benin or Ancient Dahomey, and Togo), so if you say that you saw Vodoo/ Vaudou all other Africa , it must be a mistake because they don't practise Voodoo/Vaudou outside those two countries, and if it the case it is surely an importation (or due to migration of people) because Vodoun belongs and originates to / from Benin/Togo.

Second, Vodoo in Africa is the original form, and Voodoo in Haiti in a syncretism between the different groups deported there : Araras ( those to which belonged Vodoo in Benin), Congos, Senegambians ( who were mostly muslims), Nigerians etc. Hence you have some muslim loas in the Haitian Vodoo ( according to Alfred M?traux), which is quite impossible in the Voodoo practised in actual Benin or Togo.

The same can be said of all the religious/spirituals forms found in all the Iberians salve colonies : Brazil (Candombl?), Cuba (Santeria), Puerto Rico (Santeria) , DR ( Santeria and Dominican Vudu) etc, their forms have been influenced by the biggest slave group.

The Cuban Santeria is mostly influenced by Nigerian creeds ( Shango, Yemanya etc)
The Dominican Santeria is mostly influenced by Bantus believes ( Congos / Angolas)
The Brazilian Candombl? is also influenced by Bantus (Angola/Congo) and Nigerian creeds.

Africans deported into the new world, created new forms compared to the original forms of Africa , which have been modified with "Europeans" inputs like Christianity (in quotes, knowing that Christianity reached Africa before Europe) and also Native Indians inputs ( like for the Dominican Vudu,where you can find native indians loas).

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
I'll go with that...

Voodoo, Vaudou.Is it just because the spelling is different?

African vaudoun is a Dahomean (Benin)belief system.

Haitian Vaudou is a synchretized religion with input from Dahomey (Benin), Nigeria, Congo and European catholicism and Haitian creole beliefs.

It is uniquely Haitian and practiced in Haiti and in New Orleans due to migration. (Not to be confused with Louisiana Hoodoo)

Someone suggested the creole name "Zantray" a few years back but it never caught on.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
Haitian Vaudou song for ERZULIE the loa of love.

[video=youtube_share;v6ACuKgQ6d0]http://youtu.be/v6ACuKgQ6d0[/video]