Residency.... Citizenship what?s the difference?

Macy Kai

Jul 7, 2012
What is the difference in practical terms... ie. staying here and working legally etc! Costs.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Certainly citizenship has more implications and probably a few more requisites, but you can look that up in the Dominican Constitution.

Residency is for long term stays here and facilitates coming and going. With either one you can work, do business, buy property and so on with fewer problems.

HB (Yeah I know, not much help at all but nobody else had said anything!)

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Citizenship ,you can apply for after you are a permanent resident and this gives you a passport and of course voting rights .having two passports is always a good idea ,but this will be more work ,however it will be cheaper than anywhere else in the world More or less

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
1. You dont have to be a resident first if you are married to a Dominican.
2. In some ways it is less work to be a citizen - no medical needed, no proof of income, no lawyer.
3. To be a citizen you need:
a letter of intent as to why you want to be a citizen
your birth certificate translated and certified.
a copy of marriage certificate legalized
a colour photocopy of husband/wifes cedula (front and back)
the first four pages of your passport colour copied.
a receipt from a national newspaper for ad space for "intent of naturalization" (around 1,000pesos).

4 copies of all of those to the department of policia and interior in santo domingo (13thfloor). $1500 pesos for the right to process.

Then you have an interview in Spanish on the country and history,
Then you are sworn in as a citizen and can have Dominican cedula, voting rights, passport and birth certificate.

Total cost - significantly less than a residency.

Thanks to La Teacher for the info

Matilda

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Yes it does and if your Canadian I have been told that you need a lawyer to verify they know you verifying the birth certificate ,and then getting it apostilized.if you need more pm me

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Apparently there is quite a bit of paperwork involved so you may need a lawyer ,re - La Teacher

jafo

Dec 16, 2006
Matilda

I have a couple questions for you. If you wouldn't mind.

Have you gone through this process your self?

If so. When?

Are you male or female ? Just curios if it makes a difference under new rules.

Did you have a Lawyer involved at all ?

Was it as easy as you make it sound?

Thanks

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Matilda

I have a couple questions for you. If you wouldn't mind.

Have you gone through this process your self? No, but will do this year.

If so. When?

Are you male or female ? Just curios if it makes a difference under new rules. Female and it used to make a difference but doesn't now.

Did you have a Lawyer involved at all ? I wouldnt bother as I feel comfortable enough with the system and obviously you need to be able to speak Spanish to become a citizen. And as LA Teacher said in her post as she was going through it " i am in the process of naturalization right now and it's really easy - no lawyer necessary".

Was it as easy as you make it sound? Well that is what La Teacher said and I spoke to her about it afterwards as well.

Thanks

These are the conditions to apply for citizenship.
In order to become a Dominican citizen it is necessary to be a child of a Dominican citizen; be married to a Dominican; or to have lived in the country for at least 6 months after acquiring residency, with a total time in the country of at least two years and have a business, have bought real estate or have served in the Dominican Armed Forces.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Any examples of the knowledge requirements, I presume this is a similar test that they are brining out to qualify for British visa this year?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I don't know that much about it apart from that it is in Spanish and involves the history and culture of the country.

Matilda

jafo

Dec 16, 2006
Matilda

Sounds like your on your way .

I'm married to a Dominicana.

As of yet have you run into any , hidden fees?

What do you expect your final cost to be?

Thanks Jafo

jafo

Dec 16, 2006
Thanks .

I will keep an eye out for your posts and see how you make out.

Thanks again.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
I am married to a Dominican, too, and have considered taking this route, although I have permanent residency, in the hope of cutting costs in the future. The main thing that has held me back is that I understand that if you hold dual citizenship you would no longer have the right to any form of support or protection from your own Embassy should the need arise. This applies to British citizens, but may also be the case for others. Now, this may not be a huge disincentive (depending on your past experiences here), but something to be aware of.

1. You dont have to be a resident first if you are married to a Dominican.
2. In some ways it is less work to be a citizen - no medical needed, no proof of income, no lawyer.
3. To be a citizen you need:
a letter of intent as to why you want to be a citizen
your birth certificate translated and certified.
a copy of marriage certificate legalized
a colour photocopy of husband/wifes cedula (front and back)
the first four pages of your passport colour copied.
a receipt from a national newspaper for ad space for "intent of naturalization" (around 1,000pesos).

4 copies of all of those to the department of policia and interior in santo domingo (13thfloor). $1500 pesos for the right to process.

Then you have an interview in Spanish on the country and history,
Then you are sworn in as a citizen and can have Dominican cedula, voting rights, passport and birth certificate.

Total cost - significantly less than a residency.

Thanks to La Teacher for the info

Matilda

If a foreign woman marries a Dominican man she gets citizenship, if she wants it, without first being a resident, but a foreign man who marries a Dominican woman must obtain residency for six months, and then he can be a DR citizen.
I am going through this right now. I applied for residency in April, and when it comes through I will be able to apply for DR citizenship 6 months later. This information is right from Guzm?n Ariza's law firm

Oh great, two opposing 'facts' again.

If you rely on the DR1 forum as the a place to find truth, you'll be overwhelmed with opposing "facts".....if you contact a reliable attorney like Guzman Ariza as I did, you'll just recieve the simple truth.

Here is an excerpt of the e-mail I recieved back that contains said truth:

"Thank you for your interest in our services. We would be more than happy to assist you.

To start the citizenship process you need to provide the followings documents:

1) Certified copy of the marriage certificate, legalized at the Junta Central Electoral. If the marriage took place abroad, the certificate should be apostilled and if the country is not signatory of the Hague Convetion for the Apostille, it should be authenticated at the nearest Dominican Consulate. If the marriage certificate is in a foreign language, it should be translated into Spanish by a translator certified in the DR and authenticated at the General Attorney’s office in Santo Domingo.

2) Certified copy of the husband’s birth apostilled and if the country is not signatory of the Hague Convetion for the Apostille, authenticated at the nearest Dominican Consulate.

3) Certified copy of the wife’s birth certificate, legalized at the Junta Central Electoral.

4) 5 pictures, 2 x 2, of the husband.

5) Photocopy of the wife’s C?dula.

6) Photocopy of the husband’s Passport.

7) Stamps, government fees, etc.

The couple should be married for at least six months before submitting the application and you should be provisional dominican resident by at least six months."

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hmmmmm...... that last sentence gets me.

If I want to apply for Dominican citizenship [married to Dominican for 36 years] I have to first live there for six months?????

I can't do that under the current/upcoming law.

What is a "provisional" resident? Temporary resident?