Resources for human trafficking victims

joselowe

May 5, 2015
I am just sayin' how do you know the dude doesn't really like working where he is at? Sort of like recently when those poor helpless Pasion girls got "rescued" in Santiago.

If he had a cedula and liked working there or needed to work there (but still had a cedula) for money or cause he likes it, then I'd say fine, whatever, he's a grown man who has the opprotunity to do as he please... But he's told me to my face that he hates it and looked at me crazy when I asked him if he liked doing it? Also the fact that he constantly lies for his mother and she constantly changes the stories for the cedula...He honestly believes that she has to go to Europe to get his birth certificate...everything I;ve heard is that from the country he was born in all the parent has to do is mail proof of birth

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
All you can do is give him the info that you have received from DR1.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
Unfortunately what you are telling us is a part of the seedy side of Dominican culture. The story you are telling us is getting worse with every post. All those lies, more lies and damn lies.
Good luck

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
If he had a cedula and liked working there or needed to work there (but still had a cedula) for money or cause he likes it, then I'd say fine, whatever, he's a grown man who has the opprotunity to do as he please... But he's told me to my face that he hates it and looked at me crazy when I asked him if he liked doing it? Also the fact that he constantly lies for his mother and she constantly changes the stories for the cedula...He honestly believes that she has to go to Europe to get his birth certificate...everything I;ve heard is that from the country he was born in all the parent has to do is mail proof of birth

Well you are a grown man also, right? The dude is playin' you plain and simple.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Jose, I would advise you to drop this like a hot potato. We gringos simply can't comprehend the inner workings of a situation like this. I've seen a place called juan bobo binbin, or something like that. never been there. I'm totally vanilla anyway, plus I don't mess around in countries where my liberty is at risk. If he is 19 he can do all he needs to do on his own. He doesn't need his mother. If he is a citizen of a European country he can just go to their nearest consulate.

he won't pursue the trafficking thing because his mother will be arrested. If you say there are minors involved, damn. scary situation. stay far away. nothing you can do.

joselowe

May 5, 2015
Jose, I would advise you to drop this like a hot potato. We gringos simply can't comprehend the inner workings of a situation like this. I've seen a place called juan bobo binbin, or something like that. never been there. I'm totally vanilla anyway, plus I don't mess around in countries where my liberty is at risk. If he is 19 he can do all he needs to do on his own. He doesn't need his mother. If he is a citizen of a European country he can just go to their nearest consulate.

he won't pursue the trafficking thing because his mother will be arrested. If you say there are minors involved, damn. scary situation. stay far away. nothing you can do.
Without a birth certificate he is pretty much an unclaimed refugee. Undocumented to any country.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
If his birth is registered somewhere you don't need the actual piece of paper. birth certificates get lost or damaged all the time. it's just a piece of paper, distributed by an authority that keeps a copy. He is 19. he doesn't need his mother for any civic function.

joselowe

May 5, 2015
If his birth is registered somewhere you don't need the actual piece of paper. birth certificates get lost or damaged all the time. it's just a piece of paper, distributed by an authority that keeps a copy. He is 19. he doesn't need his mother for any civic function.

You do https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statelessness

In the DR he would need a birth certificate and if it doesnt state that he was born in the DR then he'd have to go back to the country of the birth certificate and get the proper documentation to remain in the DR and without help from his mother he cant get a copy of his birth certificate. To get a copy of my birth certificate here in the US for example I need to give my id number, social security number and provide information about my place of birth. It's not that easy.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
In some countries you can order your bc online and have it shipped. As was also already mentioned, he could contact his embassy and see what assistance they could provide him. But he would need to want to get out of this situation to take those steps.

joselowe

May 5, 2015
In some countries you can order your bc online and have it shipped. As was also already mentioned, he could contact his embassy and see what assistance they could provide him. But he would need to want to get out of this situation to take those steps.

Almost all European countries require some proof, most require parents or form of identification. And as far as embassy he has actively been trying to go the embassy route, but with his mother...but from what he's told me the same situation that his mother needs the birth certificate. But that makes sense, how do they know it isnt just John Doe trying to steal someones identity?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
So this guy decides he doesn't want to do whatever anymore. If he was born in Europe then he needs to go to the embassy of the country for which he is a citizen and ask them for help. I'm sure he knows his birthday and where he was born. Maybe his Mother will even tell him the name of the hospital, maybe not. The embassy will help. That what embassies do. You did say earlier that Mom would have to return to a European country to get his birth certificate so he is clearly not a Dominican Citizen; otherwise he'd have a cedula or at least there would be a record of his Father applying for citizenship on his behalf.

Worst case scenario his embassy determines that he is a citizen and has been exploited and helps return him to the country of his birth. Or he walks into the DR "Dept of lost souls" and asks them for help and they send him back to the country of his birth. Either way he is out of the DR and no longer has to subject himself to his mom's chosen means of support. The social safety net in this European country has to be better than it is here.

Best case scenario, he gets a birth certificate and if he can get enough cash together can apply to stay in the DR. Not much chance of that by the sounds of it. He's an adult, a young adult but an adult nonetheless. If he wants a change, he knows what to do.

More likely, this guy has no interest in going to another country or striking out on his own. He is resigned to do whatever he has to, to keep mom happy so the family can stay together.

In msg #10 you state, the you "want him to take the next steps". This sounds to be more about you than him. You state that you don't want to get involved but by reading between the lines you are already involved, up to your eyeballs.

There is lot about this story that doesn't make much sense; Both what you have said and the realities of this persons situation and his status here.

Just saying...

joselowe

May 5, 2015
So this guy decides he doesn't want to do whatever anymore. If he was born in Europe then he needs to go to the embassy of the country for which he is a citizen and ask them for help. I'm sure he knows his birthday and where he was born. Maybe his Mother will even tell him the name of the hospital, maybe not. The embassy will help. That what embassies do. You did say earlier that Mom would have to return to a European country to get his birth certificate so he is clearly not a Dominican Citizen; otherwise he'd have a cedula or at least there would be a record of his Father applying for citizenship on his behalf.

Worst case scenario his embassy determines that he is a citizen and has been exploited and helps return him to the country of his birth. Or he walks into the DR "Dept of lost souls" and asks them for help and they send him back to the country of his birth. Either way he is out of the DR and no longer has to subject himself to his mom's chosen means of support. The social safety net in this European country has to be better than it is here.

Best case scenario, he gets a birth certificate and if he can get enough cash together can apply to stay in the DR. Not much chance of that by the sounds of it. He's an adult, a young adult but an adult nonetheless. If he wants a change, he knows what to do.

More likely, this guy has no interest in going to another country or striking out on his own. He is resigned to do whatever he has to, to keep mom happy so the family can stay together.

In msg #10 you state, the you "want him to take the next steps". This sounds to be more about you than him. You state that you don't want to get involved but by reading between the lines you are already involved, up to your eyeballs.

There is lot about this story that doesn't make much sense; Both what you have said and the realities of this persons situation and his status here.

Just saying...

Why are you even posting here? Since your first post you haven't given any info just negativity. I dont understand your purpose in my thread? You arent here to give advice just post negativeity! I am trying to hlep someone that I love while you are clearly just hitting buttons for fun GTFOH!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004

He does need to be able to prove he is who he says he is (an old passport would be a start). It's feasible but when you don't have any documents, it can be quite a challenge. I would doubt though that his embassy would simply turn their back on him and not try to assist him up to some point. These types of cases are taken very seriously.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Since you asked. You are not being completely truthful here. This situation and your involvement in it is bizarre to say the least. Any right thinking individual who knows that someone is being forcefully exploited, especially someone who lives in the USA, has untold number of avenues of recourse to report such abuse to the authorities.

Rather, you have latched on to a hard case, and are trying to impose a more acceptable lifestyle on someone who may be stringing you along. You come into a public forum and present this type of scenario and ask for suggestions. Whenever you ask a question there are at least two possible answers. The answer you want to hear and the answer you do not want to hear. This time, I'm telling you what you don't want to hear.

You are inserting yourself into and imposing your sense or morality onto the lifestyle and choices of another adult. If you genuinely care about the welfare of this individual and if they have genuinely asked for your help in extracting themselves from this situation, claiming to only be willing to hand them a list of resources falls far short of the minimum effort that a decent person would expend. If on the other hand, you are attempting to convince this guy that his life choices don't meet with your approval, you are sticking your NA nose where it doesn't belong.

You're not being honest with us and he is not being honest with you. I'm not just hitting buttons, I'm calling you out as a fraud with a hidden agenda and you just don't like it one bit. I'm not going anywhere. I live here. I'm not the one visiting to take advantage of the exploited in SD. You were asked how you met this guy a few messages back and I notice you declined to answer that one... Or more plainly, what were you doing in the brothel? Did you decide to help this guy before or after you slept with him? In a previous thread you were all excited to announce to the whole world that you were interested in sampling the "culture" when you flew down.

Come on, out with the truth, the whole truth this time, not just the parts that attempt to show you as having no culpability here.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Why are you even posting here? Since your first post you haven't given any info just negativity. I dont understand your purpose in my thread? You arent here to give advice just post negativeity! I am trying to hlep someone that I love while you are clearly just hitting buttons for fun GTFOH!

Jose, Chill. CDNGringo always writes thoughtful and pertinent posts. Even when I don't like what he writes, it's always on point. He is giving you good advice, but you won't hear it.

you are being coy in this thread and it is confusing.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Your comments:

1. I'm American and have no plans on going back to the DR anytime soon, I'm fully aware the government is corrupt as hell and would harm me.

2. I dont know if you're trying to be funny or not, but without a cedula or birth certificate, what exactly could he do

3. but I found out 100% today that she is fully aware of it and appears to have been prostituting him out while he was still in high school.

A number of things you have said don't make sense to me.

My responses:

1. Why would the corrupt Gov try to hurt you for saving someone out of human trafficking when they are actively doing the same (some questions exist on if they are "saving" the girls).

2. He could get plenty of other jobs without a cedula, plenty of off the books businesses paying in cash (better than where he currently is)

3. If he went to high school, I am not 100% but I am 99.9% sure he needed to provide some sort of documentation, if not cedula then SOMETHING.

If your story is true and complete (which I doubt) follow the good advice given by some of the concerned members of DR1

joselowe

May 5, 2015
Your comments:

1. I'm American and have no plans on going back to the DR anytime soon, I'm fully aware the government is corrupt as hell and would harm me.

2. I dont know if you're trying to be funny or not, but without a cedula or birth certificate, what exactly could he do

3. but I found out 100% today that she is fully aware of it and appears to have been prostituting him out while he was still in high school.

A number of things you have said don't make sense to me.

My responses:

1. Why would the corrupt Gov try to hurt you for saving someone out of human trafficking when they are actively doing the same (some questions exist on if they are "saving" the girls).

2. He could get plenty of other jobs without a cedula, plenty of off the books businesses paying in cash (better than where he currently is)

3. If he went to high school, I am not 100% but I am 99.9% sure he needed to provide some sort of documentation, if not cedula then SOMETHING.

If your story is true and complete (which I doubt) follow the good advice given by some of the concerned members of DR1

Gary your responses
1. Before I created this thread I read this http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/158010-child-abuse and even people in here (this thread) have told me to be careful. Also when researching, the US state department stated that some Dominican police officers were involved in DR child prostitution rings. I also hear about the police killing people for snitching. If you dont believe me then do the research yourself.
2. There are NOT plenty of jobs in DR without a Cedula, technically it's illegal unless you are working under the table, which would pay scraps
3. That part I am not sure of

joselowe

May 5, 2015
Jose, Chill. CDNGringo always writes thoughtful and pertinent posts. Even when I don't like what he writes, it's always on point. He is giving you good advice, but you won't hear it.

you are being coy in this thread and it is confusing.
I asked for resources...Katie P and DV8 were the only ones who gave me resources. Otherwise I was asked questions (some I answered directly to those individuals in private messages and some I answered on here)

I take this matter very seriously I am also looking for resources in other areas (by calling people directly, with little luck). But I find it sad that I asked for some simple resources to help a young man in this country and I get advice telling me to be careful, let it go, and told that he's playing me and that I'm a liar and that maybe he likes having sex for money.
All I asked for was for resources, I dont mind the advice from some, as some has been helpful, but the responses here are just sad! This topic has NOTHING to do with me, I asked for simple resources, not to be judged or lectured, I am a grown ass man and I have resources in my country, but I dont know the Dominican resources hence why I brought my ass to a Dominican forum to ask, the responses from many here are unnecessary and is why human trafficking is such an issue there