Respect or Resent?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Huh! I was under the impression that the vast majority of US Dominicans really didn't care much for mass-killing and self-mutilation. I'll go out on a limb and speak for all 9,000,000 of us in saying that we don't agree with the Taliban, Sadam Hussein or Hitler's way or doctrine.:laugh:
I did say "extreme cases" - naming kids after SH, even Hitler; less extreme would be people nicknamed "El Taliban" or "Gadafi" porque son guapos.

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009
Huh! I was under the impression that the vast majority of US Dominicans really didn't care much for mass-killing and self-mutilation. I'll go out on a limb and speak for all 9,000,000 of us in saying that we don't agree with the Taliban, Sadam Hussein or Hitler's way or doctrine.:laugh:

To answer the OP's question, I "think" there are more of US that respect the Americans, than those that Resent them.

i met quite a few dominicans who told me they admired hitler. some because they had the impression that he build germany into a very powerfull country, and that germans where still profiting from his accomplishments (adding that what the dr needed was another hitler, a guy who was even stronger than trujillo) and some as one guy stated "porque acab? con tantos judios". this, i have to be honest, shocked me a bit, because i wasn't aware of antisemitism in the dr.
i think dominicans resent the us as a power, but if there is resentment towards individual gringos, it has more to do with cultural differences and what is percieved as arrogance.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
i met quite a few dominicans who told me they admired hitler. some because they had the impression that he build germany into a very powerfull country, and that germans where still profiting from his accomplishments (adding that what the dr needed was another hitler, a guy who was even stronger than trujillo) and some as one guy stated "porque acab? con tantos judios". this, i have to be honest, shocked me a bit, because i wasn't aware of antisemitism in the dr.
i think dominicans resent the us as a power, but if there is resentment towards individual gringos, it has more to do with cultural differences and what is percieved as arrogance.

You know what, I'll concede that there could be a few of us who might admire Hitler, however, that fact that these people actually believe that "Hitler single handedly built Germany, and that Germany is still profiting from Hitler's brilliance" speaks volume towards their ignorance, Sooo these Dominican's opinion don't count in my book.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
mariot observes

but if there is resentment towards individual gringos, it has more to do with cultural differences and what is percieved as arrogance.

it is not just perceived as arrogance. it is. when people come to your country, and are upset with you for not speaking to them in their language, i call that arrogance.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
mariot observes

but if there is resentment towards individual gringos, it has more to do with cultural differences and what is percieved as arrogance.

it is not just perceived as arrogance. it is. when people come to your country, and are upset with you for not speaking to them in their language, i call that arrogance.

I've never heard a Dominican complain about that. Rather, they complain that gringos are always in a hurry and get upset quickly and appear to be real sour pusses from the expression on their faces. On the other hand a gringo that speaks very little Spanish yet smiles and says hi to people appears patient and not bothered by every little inconvenience would not offend any Dominican.

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009
mariot observes

funny and true. there certainly are arrogant gringos. but there are also things that gringos do which would bother nobody at home, yet dmonicans consider them to be extremely rude. and there is stuff dominicans do which ticks gringos off, meanwhile dominicans think that they are behaving perfectly normal.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
there are, most certainly, actions of Dominicans which tick off just about anyone whom has a pulse. the most irritating of all is the complete disregard for anyone but themselves. they will play their music at aircraft levels at all hours of day, or night, with completely oblivious of the neighbors. as i mentioned before, in other postings,they will come into an internet cafe, where people are trying to get some work done, and cavort and bellow at the top of their lungs, oblivious to the existence of others. they will lean on your chair, and, in some cases, even kick it from where they are sitting. yesterday, i saw some adolescents playing stickball in the street. a middle aged matron was walking by, on the sidewalk. instead of allowing her to pass by safely, these imbeciles continued with the game, whereupon the batter smashed the ball into the side of the passerby, who doubled over in pain. those types make me believe in the theory of evolution even more. as i said before, i have met people from just about any country i can name, but Dominicans take the cake when it comes to absolute disregard for the next guy.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
An example of the attitude toward foreigners is when I met my wife at the Santiago airport and asked her for her address when she went home to Moca she told her family about me and they all told her to forget about me because gringos don't marry Dominicans they only get them pregnant then leave.

As opposed to what Dominican men do? They have NEVER done that have they? O Horatio, isnt THAT the reason they prefer foreign men over Dominican men? Doesnt the adjective "to be responsible" find its way all over the conversation in courting relationships?

And the whole thing about being "too cheap" what the hell is that? How can someone with NO money dictate the manner which the other party should spend THEIR money? If you dont throw it at the sun then there is something wrong with you. This is why I say they resent the foreigner. Talk to them about politics and they want to read you the riot act, spend your money and leave. As though they do the outsider a favor by letting him come here. This a incredibly short-sighted way of seeing things. Or make an admission that according to business practices in my country Terra Mall is a tremendous flop.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
there are, most certainly, actions of Dominicans which tick off just about anyone whom has a pulse. the most irritating of all is the complete disregard for anyone but themselves. they will play their music at aircraft levels at all hours of day, or night, with completely oblivious of the neighbors. as i mentioned before, in other postings,they will come into an internet cafe, where people are trying to get some work done, and cavort and bellow at the top of their lungs, oblivious to the existence of others. they will lean on your chair, and, in some cases, even kick it from where they are sitting. yesterday, i saw some adolescents playing stickball in the street. a middle aged matron was walking by, on the sidewalk. instead of allowing her to pass by safely, these imbeciles continued with the game, whereupon the batter smashed the ball into the side of the passerby, who doubled over in pain. those types make me believe in the theory of evolution even more. as i said before, i have met people from just about any country i can name, but Dominicans take the cake when it comes to absolute disregard for the next guy.

I on the other hand have seen plenty of examples where kids stop to let adults go by and in fact when I lived in the campo I played baseball in the streets almost everyday for 6 months and we always stopped for people.

Furthermore it is apparent some of you guys will never "get" Dominican culture and what is considered important/civilized and furthermore I think none of you really care but prefer to think that you guys are la creme de la creme living amongst animals.

Why is it too that 90% of said can barely ask for bread in the colmado much less understand anything that is spoken to them? I believe it a lot easier to blame the locals for whatever they don't understand and assume the worst than to give them the benefit of the doubt.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I think this is one of the reasons why there are so many sanki-women; they all think gringos are coming to play (sometimes pay :p) so they make sure they get all they can, the problem is someone usually falls in love, the one who doesnt is the bad one in most cases the sanki.
i heard many times and many people saying dont get involved with these gringos 'cause they dont feel anything... i think is a mix bag

In the red, I would suspect it is more because your interpretation of love may be more complex than theirs. There have many times when you get the "I love you" after only consorting with the woman for 3 days. That cannot be love. If anything, she appreciates the time you spend together immensely and it has countered the years of boredom she had experienced in the past.

In the blue I think they prefer to have a dude who has some disposable income-to share, they envision what it would be like to date a guy who has excessive amounts(objectively) of money and the things they could do. The decisions they could make. Plus all of that sharing, caring stuff they dont seem to get in abundance.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
chip chastises

Furthermore it is apparent some of you guys will never "get" Dominican culture and what is considered important/civilized and furthermore I think none of you really care but prefer to think that you guys are la creme de la creme living amongst animals.

when i am sitting with my group of friends on the beach, and some guy pulls up with an SUV, opens the liftgate, and gives me a dose of 120 decibels of reggaeton, i do not consider that to be culture. if you are dismayed by my resentment of such conduct, then more power to you. i cannot fathom how you can consider opposition to such behavior as being a display of some superiority complex. i have a basic problem in this regard. my buddy lives in a neighborhood in which the noise is non stop, and he cannot even hear the tv in his apartment over the noise from all the stereos in the building. you might find that appealing. sorry, Chip. i do not. that does not mean that i have a superiority complex.

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009
well, dominicans have a pulse, but they are not ticked off by people blasting their radios on aircraft levels. this i one of the first things i noticed when i first came to the dr, dominicans are not bothered by noise. so if nobody is bothered by it, why would they assume that being noisy is a sign of disregard for the next guy?
another thing i noticed was the extreme helpfulness of dominicans, with most people i met i got the impression that they kind of felt a responsibility to take care of me, because i was a foreigner and did not know my way around. they made sure i was safe, told me where i could go and where i should be careful, explained to me how to behave, washed my clothes, gave me food, tried to show me a good time, and drove me to places i needed to go. all without me ever asking for it, and without expecting anything in return. at times it was like having overbearing parents, who think that you can't even tie your own shoelaces.that is not what i would consider a total disregard for the next guy, people went out of their way to be helpful.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Mariot, there is a difference between being helpful, and being oblivious of other people?s needs for certain things. i have posted , many a time and oft, regarding the generosity of many Dominicans i have met. that does not mean that i am not dismayed groups of people who congregate outside my bedroom window at 2 am, bellowing at the tops of their lungs, with absolute disregard for the simple fact that they might just be disturbing my sleep.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You say this:

... i cannot fathom how you can consider opposition to such behavior as being a display of some superiority complex.

Yet you posted this:

those types make me believe in the theory of evolution even more.

I think it fairly evident what you think of Dominicans as a whole; they are an inferior variety at very bottom of the "human race".

What you apparently can't conceive is the whole idea of "personal space" as is commonplace in Western countries does not exist here and therefore noise is not considered an intrusion. The fact is that Dominicans tolerate other's loud behavior is actually considered considerate. No doubt you've never heard of a serenata.

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009
they only disregard your needs when they know that you need silence to sleep or work or whatever and don't care. how are they to know that they are bothering you, when nobody else is bothered? since nobody in the dr considers silence to be essential, they are behaving perfectly normal.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
well, dominicans have a pulse, but they are not ticked off by people blasting their radios on aircraft levels. this i one of the first things i noticed when i first came to the dr, dominicans are not bothered by noise. so if nobody is bothered by it, why would they assume that being noisy is a sign of disregard for the next guy?
another thing i noticed was the extreme helpfulness of dominicans, with most people i met i got the impression that they kind of felt a responsibility to take care of me, because i was a foreigner and did not know my way around. they made sure i was safe, told me where i could go and where i should be careful, explained to me how to behave, washed my clothes, gave me food, tried to show me a good time, and drove me to places i needed to go. all without me ever asking for it, and without expecting anything in return. at times it was like having overbearing parents, who think that you can't even tie your own shoelaces.that is not what i would consider a total disregard for the next guy, people went out of their way to be helpful.

Oh please! They are like the GODFATHER, they always expect something in return. May not be today, may not be 5 years from now....but you WILL be called upon one day. So you keep taking those rides, eating that food....you are writing a check that you'd better be able to cash in the future.

SHALENA

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Nonetheless, this attitude isn't necessarily on display otherwise the gringos would never come back. :)

I can?t count the amount of times in the last couple of years I?ve heard a native say to me, ?if we don?t get our act together one day foreigners will stop coming here?. I know what it means as this usually comes after something in the newspaper, on tv or after a negative event of some sort, and I?ve heard it a lot, is this an impact or is it a reaction I?m unsure, we?ll see. In general those with half a mind do respect foreigners (I don?t want to pigeon hole yanks as being the be all and end all) and realize most of us are here to somply get on with life, make no statement, live a quiet under radar lifestyle. Those that resent, I feel do so through jelousy of what they think they know, yet don?t understand.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010

I get where you are coming from but don?t go as far or as strong as that. Getting ?it?, I think a lot can be said for where people decide to settle as to how they feel about living here. In the end it is a free country, hate for hate probably balances out from foreigners to natives. I have ahd times when I have felt every native was a scumbag and I hated them, just for the actions of one individual or three over a week or two. I had the same thoughts for Brits when I lived there, and I am British, I hated the pi$$ed up fighting after hours, chav mentality for the sakes of things getting on top. At the end of the day it is just an emotion, we all have them, when we are switched on and cool headed we all know that everyone is an individual and to resent, or adore an entire race is impossible and stupid. Take it all as it comes, and everyone as they are, if you don?t think like that then you have problems.