Restaurants

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I will have to rescind my reccomendation for Cappucinnos.. with great sadness

I took an
African American friend there for dinner last night and the place has really changed since the
Consulate moved

there is now a big screen tv ..ok.. well they probably need that tokeep the children interested in something since they do not have the patronage of the embassy personnel

but we were rushed through dinner

presented the bill before we asked for it

and the poor dominican waitress who came out from behind the counter to race us through our selection of petit fours had such bad body odor that i almost fell over

i have actually never
SMELLED a dominican and was really SHOCKED
\

So... eventhough

the lasasgne is good

i am sure that

Villar Hermanos will upgrade theirs

and we

can scratch Cappucinos off the recommendations for tourists

they will do fine withtheir

local businesses

i do not patronize racist establishments

nor would i reccommend them for tourists

lest some american traveler meet with the same treatment as my friend last night

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yeah. Bad service in DR is not unusual. In fact it is more par for the course. If they were in fact treating him badly because of race that would be unusual and shameful.

racist treatment is par for the course in the DR. i have two friends from NJ who visit on a regular basis, and they always reserve one night to go to an upscale restaurant. we made the joint decision that i do not accompany them on that particular night, because the service they get when i am not with them is completely different than that which they get when i am. it is so obvious that we all know what is behind it. if two white people are accompanied by a person of color, the estabishment reflexively believes that the dark skinned person is operating in a server `capacity to the white persons, such as a guide. they absolutely abhor the idea of having servant types eating in their place of business. it is a class thing.

i remember a particular night when we went to the Argentine Steakhouse, and the waiter brought the bill to me, and asked me to whch of my friends he should present the bill. i told him to give it to me, since i was the one paying. the guy almost died from shock. this could not be possible. a black guy with two white people, and he was the one spending the money.

it is not unusual, as you stated.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2014
I will have to rescind my reccomendation for Cappucinnos.. with great sadness

I took an
African American friend there for dinner last night and the place has really changed since the
Consulate moved

there is now a big screen tv ..ok.. well they probably need that tokeep the children interested in something since they do not have the patronage of the embassy personnel

but we were rushed through dinner

presented the bill before we asked for it

and the poor dominican waitress who came out from behind the counter to race us through our selection of petit fours had such bad body odor that i almost fell over

i have actually never
SMELLED a dominican and was really SHOCKED
\

So... eventhough

the lasasgne is good

i am sure that

Villar Hermanos will upgrade theirs

and we

can scratch Cappucinos off the recommendations for tourists

they will do fine withtheir

local businesses

i do not patronize racist establishments

nor would i reccommend them for tourists

lest some american traveler meet with the same treatment as my friend last night
Perdone moi....that is not Racism...but possibly colorism. I dont think Caribbean folks can be racist, but I do so declare they can be colorist or hue-ist.

In any event it is an ambiance killer.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
racist treatment is par for the course in the DR. i have two friends from NJ who visit on a regular basis, and they always reserve one night to go to an upscale restaurant. we made the joint decision that i do not accompany them on that particular night, because the service they get when i am not with them is completely different than that which they get when i am. it is so obvious that we all know what is behind it. if two white people are accompanied by a person of color, the estabishment reflexively believes that the dark skinned person is operating in a server `capacity to the white persons, such as a guide. they absolutely abhor the idea of having servant types eating in their place of business. it is a class thing.

i remember a particular night when we went to the Argentine Steakhouse, and the waiter brought the bill to me, and asked me to whch of my friends he should present the bill. i told him to give it to me, since i was the one paying. the guy almost died from shock. this could not be possible. a black guy with two white people, and he was the one spending the money.

it is not unusual, as you stated.

That is sad. I have had similar experiences in other countries when dining with my wife. As another poster mentioned, I am not sure it is racism.
More classism and culture. In the DR in many cases the waiters themselves are people of color. They would likely never be dining in a higher end restaurant.
If they were lucky enough to go to a upscale place, it is highly likely the white guy would pay the tab.

I don't think your not going will help the situation. They will continue to no understand that color has zero to do with station in life etc.
Having the black guy pay the check, sends a more clear message.

My wife's first trip was to argentina, uruguay and chile. In argentina we experienced rvery similar treament and uruguay was actually worse.
At the time, she returned to Hotel crying. Could not understand how people would treat her differently because of her color. I explained that they were the ones with the problem and she shouldn't give a crap what they think.
I did research and found that 90% of women of color in Uruguay are domestic help. You won't even find women of color working in the restaurants which is different from DR.They rarely see a woman of color that is not a maid, so hard for them to understand.

One night we went to Splendor. A steakhouse famous for being where politicians and movers and shakers dine. I didn't know that, just heard they had great steaks.
We went and the steaks were very good. At one point the waiter brought a snooty couple to the table next to us and asked if it was OK. The wife looked down at my wife, turned her nose up and said "no". They sat at a table across the room.
The woman was giving us looks all during dinner. My wife had already learned the way to deal with snobs. Very similar to your approach.

She ordered a bottle of Rutini and did the whole tasting ritual while I ordered Quilmes. White guy with no class. . . lol. When the bill came she grabbed it and paid. The snobby woman looked horrified.

Now, if they are not treating you equally to other customers, that is BS. I still think not going is not the best move. Shove it in their face or better explain to owner why you are going to take your guests to a different restaurant.

Which argentine steakhouse was it? My wife and I have eaten at all the argentinan places in santo domingo and the ones that used to be in STI.We get treated well in all of them.
I have no doubt that if my wife went to these restaurants without me, she would get same service. If not, we would never dine there again. After I explained to the owner why we would no longer dine there.

In santo domingo, I can honestly say the only place my wife got looks was at Sofia's. The staff were fine, but other diners were giving my wife looks. Honestly in Sofia'sI am probably
getting looks as well. Most of the diners there could buy and sell me, but I don't give a crap. Again my wife ordered bottle of wine and paid the bill. You drop 350 bucks for dinner the staff had better treat you equally, the other patons? I couldn't care less. They are the ones with issues not us.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That is sad. I have had similar experiences in other countries when dining with my wife. As another poster mentioned, I am not sure it is racism.
More classism and culture. In the DR in many cases the waiters themselves are people of color. They would likely never be dining in a higher end restaurant.
If they were lucky enough to go to a upscale place, it is highly likely the white guy would pay the tab.

I don't think your not going will help the situation. They will continue to no understand that color has zero to do with station in life etc.
Having the black guy pay the check, sends a more clear message.

My wife's first trip was to argentina, uruguay and chile. In argentina we experienced rvery similar treament and uruguay was actually worse.
At the time, she returned to Hotel crying. Could not understand how people would treat her differently because of her color. I explained that they were the ones with the problem and she shouldn't give a crap what they think.
I did research and found that 90% of women of color in Uruguay are domestic help. You won't even find women of color working in the restaurants which is different from DR.They rarely see a woman of color that is not a maid, so hard for them to understand.

One night we went to Splendor. A steakhouse famous for being where politicians and movers and shakers dine. I didn't know that, just heard they had great steaks.
We went and the steaks were very good. At one point the waiter brought a snooty couple to the table next to us and asked if it was OK. The wife looked down at my wife, turned her nose up and said "no". They sat at a table across the room.
The woman was giving us looks all during dinner. My wife had already learned the way to deal with snobs. Very similar to your approach.

She ordered a bottle of Rutini and did the whole tasting ritual while I ordered Quilmes. White guy with no class. . . lol. When the bill came she grabbed it and paid. The snobby woman looked horrified.

Now, if they are not treating you equally to other customers, that is BS. I still think not going is not the best move. Shove it in their face or better explain to owner why you are going to take your guests to a different restaurant.

Which argentine steakhouse was it? My wife and I have eaten at all the argentinan places in santo domingo and the ones that used to be in STI.We get treated well in all of them.
I have no doubt that if my wife went to these restaurants without me, she would get same service. If not, we would never dine there again. After I explained to the owner why we would no longer dine there.

In santo domingo, I can honestly say the only place my wife got looks was at Sofia's. The staff were fine, but other diners were giving my wife looks. Honestly in Sofia'sI am probably
getting looks as well. Most of the diners there could buy and sell me, but I don't give a crap. Again my wife ordered bottle of wine and paid the bill. You drop 350 bucks for dinner the staff had better treat you equally, the other patons? I couldn't care less. They are the ones with issues not us.

i can?t remember which of the Argentine Steakhouses it was. i was unaware there are many of them. they just always said they wanted to either go to Davy Crocketts or the Argentine Steakhouse.

i don?t have any desire to be in the company of such people. they are simply philistines in designer jeans. i am a very fortunate guy in terms of the people with whom i have spent meaningful time, and they have all been humble and down to earth. some guy in a third world backwater who has an inflated sense of self importance is not the kind of person i wish to see at a table near me.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Perdone moi....that is not Racism...but possibly colorism. I dont think Caribbean folks can be racist, but I do so declare they can be colorist or hue-ist.

True. However I have seen staff that were black or morenos treat darker dominicans badly. Not because they are racist or snobby obviously But envy and jealousy.

A few years back at a resort in Bayahibe, we had a bartender fired. I hate resorts mostly because the beer isn't cold. This place had a cigar bar that sold budweiser. I prefer presidente but these were cold bottles vs the war presidente on tap.
We would have few beers in the cigar bar each night. The first few nights the staff were friendly. The bartender even helped me when I decided to smoke a cigar. I have no clue as don't smoke.

The fourth night or so, there was a different barmaid. We decided we wanted to sit by the pool but order beer from cigar bar as it was colder. We ordered a few rounds and then apparently after shift change my wife went to get us a round of beers. The haitian or black dominican, refused to serve her! Said I would have to come and sign. My wife, who was fiance at time showed the rock on her hand and the bracelet as well.
The girl still refused and had an ugly look on her face.

I went inside and asked what the problem was. The girl still had a hateful face on and said that she had no problem. teh problem was with my fiance. I said I wanted to speak to management.
She said no. I said who is your boss? She said she didn't have a boss.

I went to front desk and got supervisor. She walked us back to bar. I told the barmaid, "you said you don't have a boss, I want to introduce you to her".
The girl actually started giving the supervisor and I crap. I told the supervisor that the girl wasn't qualified or have the personality to ever be in front of customers. I said maybe cleaning bathrooms was more her style. The girl was now screaming at me.
Supervisor fired her on the spot.

The girl had likely never been to a resort and was jealous of a morena living large at the resort. Screw that. The rest of the staff were very friendly and treated my wife very well. Just this one girl with a horrible attitude, and jealousy.
I don't think the girl was even capable of smiling. You know people that just always have a ****ed off face? That was her.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
i can?t remember which of the Argentine Steakhouses it was. i was unaware there are many of them. they just always said they wanted to either go to Davy Crocketts or the Argentine Steakhouse.

i don?t have any desire to be in the company of such people. they are simply philistines in designer jeans. i am a very fortunate guy in terms of the people with whom i have spent meaningful time, and they have all been humble and down to earth. some guy in a third world backwater who has an inflated sense of self importance is not the kind of person i wish to see at a table near me.

I agree 100%.

Argentinan places in la capital include Antonio's on cesar nicholas penson. Asadero Argetina that is at entrance to hotel embajador and has been in DR for 43 years. They also have another location in naco I believe. Patagonia in Naco is very good. Don Nestor used to be in a plaza on lope de vega and may still be there but also have a spot at entrance to embajador a few doors down from Asadero Argetino. Makes zero sense to have two argentina steakhouses on same block but what do I know. Last time we ate at Asadero they were packed although it was their 43rd anniversary but Don Nestor's was empty.

If your buddy's like good steaks and one place is treating you badly, take the business elsewhere and maybe explain to manager or owner. The only thing they understand is lost pesos.

I am not saying you then give them another shot and possibly suffer mistreatment, but you possibly make it better for the next guy.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I agree 100%.

Argentinan places in la capital include Antonio's on cesar nicholas penson. Asadero Argetina that is at entrance to hotel embajador and has been in DR for 43 years. They also have another location in naco I believe. Patagonia in Naco is very good. Don Nestor used to be in a plaza on lope de vega and may still be there but also have a spot at entrance to embajador a few doors down from Asadero Argetino. Makes zero sense to have two argentina steakhouses on same block but what do I know. Last time we ate at Asadero they were packed although it was their 43rd anniversary but Don Nestor's was empty.

If your buddy's like good steaks and one place is treating you badly, take the business elsewhere and maybe explain to manager or owner. The only thing they understand is lost pesos.

I am not saying you then give them another shot and possibly suffer mistreatment, but you possibly make it better for the next guy.

thanks for the exchange. i have grown older and wiser since those days, maybe 20 years ago. now things like those just run off me like water on the back of a duck.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
thanks for the exchange. i have grown older and wiser since those days, maybe 20 years ago. now things like those just run off me like water on the back of a duck.

As it should. As it does with my wife. THEY have issues or problems. . .not you. In buenos aires a salon actually told my wife they didn't want her business. They were a salon for white people with money. My wife told them it was their loss as we were living down the block for two months and she would spend her money elsewhere.
She would cab to another part of town to get hair done. They treated her well. . . .well. . . until the scammed her and changed her bill to a counterfeit one. Then it wss time for a new place. . .lol.

Apr 7, 2014
True. However I have seen staff that were black or morenos treat darker dominicans badly. Not because they are racist or snobby obviously But envy and jealousy.

A few years back at a resort in Bayahibe, we had a bartender fired. I hate resorts mostly because the beer isn't cold. This place had a cigar bar that sold budweiser. I prefer presidente but these were cold bottles vs the war presidente on tap.
We would have few beers in the cigar bar each night. The first few nights the staff were friendly. The bartender even helped me when I decided to smoke a cigar. I have no clue as don't smoke.

The fourth night or so, there was a different barmaid. We decided we wanted to sit by the pool but order beer from cigar bar as it was colder. We ordered a few rounds and then apparently after shift change my wife went to get us a round of beers. The haitian or black dominican, refused to serve her! Said I would have to come and sign. My wife, who was fiance at time showed the rock on her hand and the bracelet as well.
The girl still refused and had an ugly look on her face.

I went inside and asked what the problem was. The girl still had a hateful face on and said that she had no problem. teh problem was with my fiance. I said I wanted to speak to management.
She said no. I said who is your boss? She said she didn't have a boss.

I went to front desk and got supervisor. She walked us back to bar. I told the barmaid, "you said you don't have a boss, I want to introduce you to her".
The girl actually started giving the supervisor and I crap. I told the supervisor that the girl wasn't qualified or have the personality to ever be in front of customers. I said maybe cleaning bathrooms was more her style. The girl was now screaming at me.
Supervisor fired her on the spot.

The girl had likely never been to a resort and was jealous of a morena living large at the resort. Screw that. The rest of the staff were very friendly and treated my wife very well. Just this one girl with a horrible attitude, and jealousy.
I don't think the girl was even capable of smiling. You know people that just always have a ****ed off face? That was her.
"It should have been me" was what the barmaid was thinking. Self hating Negroes will do that. She should have been that woman with the ring on her finger and the white man to marry. It is kind of a mental, psychological solipsism where I am the subject of my own reality and this reality I find detestable.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
"It should have been me" was what the barmaid was thinking. Self hating Negroes will do that. She should have been that woman with the ring on her finger and the white man to marry. It is kind of a mental, psychological solipsism where I am the subject of my own reality and this reality I find detestable.

now there is a man who understands humankind!!!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I never had my doubts that a restaurant thread wouldn't turn into a racial thread.
A little spin on Ground Hog's Day.
'am a gonna have my grits now.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I never had my doubts that a restaurant thread wouldn't turn into a racial thread.
A little spin on Ground Hog's Day.
'am a gonna have my grits now.

actually, someone asked for recommendations on restaurants, and MA simply made the OP aware of racial nuances in one particular place. that does not mean that the thread has turned into a racial one. it is more of a cautionary note than anything else.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I'll leave you with this tune to ponder the meaning of life, while I get rid of my grits:

[video=youtube;o_lPHjn0Aqk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_lPHjn0Aqk[/video]

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv

It even happens at immigration when my wife leaves the country. She has been dragged into offices and grilled. Never when traveling with me. The immigration employees are bummed that they have never traveled and take it out on someone else.

Also it seems dominicans that don't have that much "power" like to use or abuse that power whenever possible. A way to show they are important.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

With that so called fine tooth comb ,,, the Haitians lead the world in what the rest of the world terms "child slavery"

look.whatever you want to call it

i don't experience it .. unless I am out with a black skinned friend

my Haitian friend was made to stand outside the Casino at the Melia.. simply not permited entry..

I was just going inside to use the ATM machine.

Last time I did.

OK.. they do not allow Haitians.

This is their country.

And as someone pointed out, I am only pointing out.. that there is a discrimination.. here .. in public places

in restuarants..

here in Santo Domingo

I have had African Americans who were visiting who contacted me that they did not stay at the old inter contenental because of what you would so politely call "colorism"

I suspect they would be treated the same at the Crowne
Plaza which is owned by Venezuelans

They would probably be welcomed at the Jaragua as I know Haitians who have stayed there

but I cannot say for certain

our job here on DR1 is to make folks aware of the reality on the ground

There are a huge number of African American tourists that come down here to Santo Domingo

They should know that they will not have a great experience at some places

why should they want to go there?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'll leave you with this tune to ponder the meaning of life, while I get rid of my grits:

i am through with trying to ponder the meaning of life. i still have not gotten it, and see no indication i ever will.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv

Totally forgot that tune existed. Will have the DL and add to my classic disco playlist. . .

Doesn't seem restaurant related though ;-)