Restaurants

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Totally forgot that tune existed. Will have the DL and add to my classic disco playlist. . .

Doesn't seem restaurant related though ;-)

Listen to the lyrics!
PM the email addy, I'll send the emay pay tres.

Cheers.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
It was def racism MA? They treated only him horribly? Just want to understand the situation.

I have been eating there for about 8 years..

not that they treated HIM that horribly,,, they treated ME andtherefore US horribly

When I talked to him the next day.. he just said "oh, you picked up on that?"

so I guess he is used to it.

He has been here a long time

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Listen to the lyrics!
PM the email addy, I'll send the emay pay tres.

Cheers.

Had to google the lyrics as I am getting too old to hear like I used to. Heady lyrics for a disco tune. Nothing to do with restaurants though;-)

As for emay pay tres .. . .already purchased on itunes. I support the arts and I am thinking machine or whoever wrote the tune can use some cash. . . lol. .

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I have been eating there for about 8 years..

not that they treated HIM that horribly,,, they treated ME andtherefore US horribly

When I talked to him the next day.. he just said "oh, you picked up on that?"

so I guess he is used to it.

He has been here a long time

i have heard it said that Dominicans do not think it is possible for a man and a woman to be friends

so that I guess they assume that whatever man I am with is a man that I am sleeping with

which is simply not the case

it is an idiotic assumption

but, of course, there are people who cannot stand the thought that a very white blue eyed person

should be having dinner out with very dark skinned man

they would perhaps assume.. since we had been to the pool .. and he had perhaps turned darker.. although I doubt that possible

and I was a bit sunburned

that I was a foreign tourist

which I suppose I am

and he was a sankie

which he is not... rather an accountant

but ok..

nevertheless..

whatever..

I cannot be bothered to go into their convoluted mindsets

I only know that Cappucino's ought not to be patronized by Americans

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Apr 7, 2014
i have heard it said that Dominicans do not think it is possible for a man and a woman to be friends

so that I guess they assume that whatever man I am with is a man that I am sleeping with

which is simply not the case

Really??? Not even in slightest? Not even In the midnight hour with a full moon, when a little Captain & Tennille comes over the radio? I mean who can deny the hoochie coochie powers of "Muskrat Love"?

it is an idiotic assumption

but, of course, there are people who cannot stand the thought that a very white blue eyed person

should be having dinner out with very dark skinned man
You gotta admit it does sound a little Mandingo-y

they would perhaps assume.. since we had been to the pool .. and he had perhaps turned darker.. although I doubt that possible

and I was a bit sunburned

that I was a foreign tourist

which I suppose I am

and he was a sankie

which he is not... rather an accountant

but ok..

nevertheless..

whatever..

I cannot be bothered to go into their convoluted mindsets

I only know that Cappucino's ought not to be patronized by Americans

Agreed. How Sanki-timonious of them to be so presumptuous of his capabilities. To death with Cappucino's.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
On Casimira de Moira.. between Pasteur and Cervantes.. a little place formerlly called Louis Phillippe.. now called TIpico Dominicano.. best small place for lunch..very crowded at peak lunch but if you wait too long they will run out of chicken liver.. their pasta with chicken or fish is better than places for twice the price

Across the street from there is a Dominican place that serves the most excellent desserts...! AYEEEE the chocolate cakes.

Also Ananda which is vegetarian and has a sort of garden cafeteria .. live music, I have heard, on Fridays..

Also right opposite La Cadena.. outdoors.. the diner -- line up ... decent Dominican .. outside.. get a table in the shade and sit.. also go after the noon rush.. best place to meet the locals. Lawyers and such from the Court on the corner stop for lunch.

The cafeterias both at Clinic Abreu and Centro Gynocologo are very clean, air conditioned, fast, cheap and decent.

Not to forget Hermanos Villar on the corner of Pasteur and Independencia.. where you can simply spend the day .. full service from breakfast to lunch, to dinner. sit all afternoon in air conditioning.. watching the folks go by... bakery in the back.. or eat in the garden BEST coffee in the Hood..

More upscale is right across the park behind Clinic Abreu.. opposite the Boyscouts.. in a Hotel.. tableclothes. amazing food-- must be Swiss? because they have fondue and rosti but make a wonderful shishikabab of chicken....

The Nabu restuarant in Hotel Crowne Plaza is excellent.. they have the MOST amazing lambchops. Great service.. all around excellence

I have not been to the Sheraton since they closed their pool to the public.. I assume they have a restaurant.. The Hilton's food is mediocre..

There is excellent Charrasco at a little place called Charlie's .. it has a wooden front.. on the side street off the Malecon..one down from the Centro Cultural.

And my all time favorite..is Cappucino's which is on the edge of Gazcue.. across from the Texaco station. Amazing home made pasta..home made ice creams.. great dishes.. reasonable prices.. great service. never disappoints..

And there are others.. but .. that should be enough for a month.

Thanks everyone, I took some notes here and will review some of these recommendations. And I dont mind that the
thread went a little off topic. FWIW was staying at a resort in punta cana with a Dominican girl and her mother. My girl thought
there was a couple of times that the domincan staff treated her poorly because she was domincan and they
cater more to Gringo. Which I am LOL.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Also, I watched that Anthony Bourdain episode on DR, dam they got have some monster lobsters down there.
What restaurants have the big lobsters? Thanks

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Also, I watched that Anthony Bourdain episode on DR, dam they got have some monster lobsters down there.
What restaurants have the big lobsters? Thanks

Let's clarify big.

Like this?

lobster-king-1024x941.jpg

Cant get these here though.

Attachments

• maine lobster.jpg
    maine lobster.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 89

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Had lunch in very small bar/cafe in gazcue. Plaza jardines de gazcue. Next to pizza place. Only three tables and a bar and what appears to be a movers and shakers type clientele.

I had pork chops, wife had mero al ajillo. Both very good. Open 11am-10:30pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk