Rising Real Estate Prices

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
One thing you didn't take into consideration is that we weren't booming like we are now when I wrote that. I still have a hard time believing that that property went for that amount of money on a piece of dirt that was miniscule and being right on the road with no room for even a flower bed between the house and the road. PT Barnum once said that "There is an *** for every Seat" and I have always believed he was right.

But who knows this can be the proverbial Sows ear made into a silk purse also although there is much better to be had in that area as far as the dirt is concerned at that price.

I am also not a BEACHFRONT kind of guy. I think they are just dirty and you suffer becasue of the Salt. Maybe that is just a personal thing.

Regards

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Are you adding

johne said:
Just curious as to your interest in this and why second guessing another's decisions is important to you.Do you have an agenda that somehow I'm missing?( ie: "allegedly") Just curious because real estate is my business and Scott is a friend of mine with a whole lot of experience and I learn from him all the time. Scott is the man!!

JOHN

some substance or comment to the thread (rising real estate prices....remember) from your position in the real estate business?

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Escott said:
I still have a hard time believing that that property went for that amount of money on a piece of dirt that was miniscule

Great you get the point then!

I do not know of any other remodel, new sale etc in Sosua/Cabarete where the guy seems to have made $200k more or less in 6 months or so.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Paul Thate said:
I was that Paul.

The finer details were.
You were screwed because your real-estate agent allegedly did not show the offer you made to the seller. This was the reason why you did not get the property. You ask for the cost of the improvement he made .? My guess not more the 60 or 70 thousand .Giving him a profit of over 200 000 dollars.
While that was my neighbor from hell the way he behaved I must congratulate him . He did a fantastic deal, in no more then 6 months. What a return on investment. Actually He had a vision.
Maybe this person should be our resident expert instead of you.
Plus I thank him for it. Based on that deal I have now a proven value for
neighborhood houses sold. It now values my house.

I PM ed all this info to you. You could and probably have confirmed the validity of all my statements . But for personal reasons choose to ignore them.
But you continue you advertise the services of this person. That's wrong, morally wrong.

When I brought up these facts a while ago Robert , the owner of this board
criticized me severely. He accused me of attacking you but he allowed you to continue to advertise for this un ethical person.
Without verifying my or your statements. This was unfair to me and more so
unfair to his readers.
I have been living here in the DR , have been an owner for over 8 years.
I learned how to live here over the years the hard way and probably made many mistakes.
But I learned I have many experiences that many forum readers could benefit from.
But I was criticizing the innercircle and that seems to be a NONO .
You however lived here a few years only at best or even part time and still have an lot to learn.

This was the reason why I lost interest in posting to this forum.

When you mentioned my name in your post I was forced to respond.

By now it seems clear that if you are not a member of the inner circle
Scott, Ken , Rocky, Larry, AZB etc one will be silenced if it does not suit
the agenda of the inner group.

Many of the old members stopped posting for this reason.
It even created a new forum..

It seems to me that a little open mind from the owner would have saved him some trouble .
And we would still have a united board with members that respect each others.

Look at the fighting that seems to go on.
And Scott it seems you are in the middle of it all.
You do not do your friend Robert any favors or any of us readers and contributors.
Take some time of learn to be pleasant and get some local experience.
Well Paul, I did check out your information at the time. It didn't check out. I was even told some interesting stories that dont even need repeating.

Why would you think I would recommend someone that screwed me? I am a funny guy, I am the most loyal friend you will ever run across but screw me once and I will be an enemy for life without extenuating circumstances.

Seems that you have a problem with some things that go on here. I am sorry about that. I only post my experiences and opinions and when I express opinions based just on my take I say as much. I don't get commissions on anything here unlike many others and have refused to take commissions when offered. My typical response when they insist is that I wont recommend anyone else to you and they back off. I offer a lot of help to many people here Paul and don't ask for one darn thing in return unlike others here.

We have had differences of opinions here dating even further back before Baninter where I was advising people NOT to put there money there. You had all your eggs in that one basket and in Pesos as well which I preached against. Looks like we all have a lot to learn Paul and I am the first one to admit it. Only thing is my mistakes haven't cost me half my savings.

Funny thing about your inner circle is that the funny part is that some of the people you mention feel that they are given a hard time here. As far as that "OTHER" board it didn't spring up out of the blue. I have been told that it was in the works for 6 months before the person was not wanted here. Besides that other board is a joke and is not even close to being in this league or even in the league of what kids put up 20 years ago as a Bulliten Board.

Scott

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
No substance

gjsuk said:
some substance or comment to the thread (rising real estate prices....remember) from your position in the real estate business?

in your posting as you are using one comp to justify a trend. My experience is in NYC but if you think one sale makes a neighborhood, so be it. (not my kind of investing) Maybe, just maybe, the last buyer made a mistake??
Actuallly, I was more curious about the tone of your posting than your "substance" >:

JOHN

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
gjsuk said:
Great you get the point then!

I do not know of any other remodel, new sale etc in Sosua/Cabarete where the guy seems to have made $200k more or less in 6 months or so.
He may have done a hell of a job or he may have found the biggest turkey. Who knows. I am 100% invested here with all the funds I have in the country. I am doing just fine thanks and dont even have a thing to sell. Do you get the point? Not every deal is for the same investor although I don't know what you are going on about since I was actively trying to purchase this property and quit at a certain price which I was happy to leave at.

Scott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
johne said:
in your posting as you are using one comp to justify a trend. My experience is in NYC but if you think one sale makes a neighborhood, so be it. (not my kind of investing) Maybe, just maybe, the last buyer made a mistake??
Actuallly, I was more curious about the tone of your posting than your "substance" >:

JOHN
The tone was to try to put my talents for lack of a better word in a bad light.

Nothing new here and it usually comes from someone without posting their experience in anything and just to knock others down. I usually just look at it from a prospective that people go through life being jealous of everyone else for different reasons. I am comfortable being myself and doing what I do. I even enjoy myself and my life so that is all that counts and not the feelings of the Unwashed:)

I am only kidding guys. Have at it and I hope you get as much enjoyment out of your post as I certainly do out of mine!

Funny thing John is that they question your experience also without laying out one thing that they have done other than live and obviously b1tch! LOL

Scott

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Cabarete real estate

Escott said:
Well Paul, I did check out your information at the time. It didn't check out. I was even told some interesting stories that dont even need repeating.

Scott

Scott as you told me before you checked with the real estate person in question.
Of course she denied. I suggested to check with my lawyer who
is your lawyer as well . He closed that sales. He had all the facts.
He confirmed the facts as I reported.
I am right no question about it.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
cabarete real estate

Escott Seems that you have a problem with some things that go on here. I am sorry about that. Scott[/QUOTE said:
Scott I have no problem with anything going on here.
First I dont even know nor have I ever met your real estate person in question. I only dont like her business practice as it was reported to me.
And I believe that the readership of this forum need to know the facts.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Cabarete real estate

Escott said:
We have had differences of opinions here dating even further back before Baninter where I was advising people NOT to put there money there. You had all your eggs in that one basket and in Pesos as well which I preached against. Looks like we all have a lot to learn Paul and I am the first one to admit it. Only thing is my mistakes haven't cost me half my savings.

Scott

Scott don't try to hijack the real estate thread with the financial peso question.
Start your own thread and I meet you there any time you wish.
I did not make a mistake there . In fact I am way ahead even if the whole system collapsed tomorrow. It did not cost me half of my savings as you suggest.With that statement you are wrong again.
The peso rate may go to 100 and I am still ahead.

The advise about the peso by the many DR1 experts is ( many of them don't even live here) is plain wrong, especially for residents with peso expenses.

Scott we had very few discussions and we will keep it so. I never gave you any indication of my personal finances.
Your very cheap attempt to publicly imply I put all my eggs in Banninter or any where here is false and misleading. You don't have a clue about all
my eggs or where they are. In fact that you try to bring this in this discussion is dishonest and hypocritical.
The nerve you have to suggest to the readership of this forum that you have intimate knowledge of my personal finances is repugnant and offensive to me.
I would hope you won't do that again.

Looking back to the last few postings it looks like you rather distort the facts
to try to win an argument then to advice the readership of this forum
with the real problems that face us here.

The facts in real estate here are.

A title means absolutly nothing here.
By now I know of 5 people that lost their condos because some lawyer
wanted them.

I know of one American who lost his house because a judge and a lawyer wanted it.
This case was shown to most North Coast lawyers who refused to take the case as it was to political.
I would have thought they all would take the case pro bono just to prove to the community that there are some property rights.

If I knew then what I know now I would never have bought here.

We all have heard and seen what hapened here on the North coast
more scandals will follow.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Paul Thate said:
Scott as you told me before you checked with the real estate person in question.
Of course she denied. I suggested to check with my lawyer who
is your lawyer as well . He closed that sales. He had all the facts.
He confirmed the facts as I reported.
I am right no question about it.
Paul, I did check with the Lawyer. He told me different than you are telling me. Matter of fact in my investigation everything you said didn't hold water.

Scott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Paul Thate said:
Scott don't try to hijack the real estate thread with the financial peso question.
Start your own thread and I meet you there any time you wish.
I did not make a mistake there . In fact I am way ahead even if the whole system collapsed tomorrow. It did not cost me half of my savings as you suggest.With that statement you are wrong again.
The peso rate may go to 100 and I am still ahead.

The advise about the peso by the many DR1 experts is ( many of them don't even live here) is plain wrong, especially for residents with peso expenses.

Scott we had very few discussions and we will keep it so. I never gave you any indication of my personal finances.
Your very cheap attempt to publicly imply I put all my eggs in Banninter or any where here is false and misleading. You don't have a clue about all
my eggs or where they are. In fact that you try to bring this in this discussion is dishonest and hypocritical.
The nerve you have to suggest to the readership of this forum that you have intimate knowledge of my personal finances is repugnant and offensive to me.
I would hope you won't do that again.

Looking back to the last few postings it looks like you rather distort the facts
to try to win an argument then to advice the readership of this forum
with the real problems that face us here.

The facts in real estate here are.

A title means absolutly nothing here.
By now I know of 5 people that lost their condos because some lawyer
wanted them.

I know of one American who lost his house because a judge and a lawyer wanted it.
This case was shown to most North Coast lawyers who refused to take the case as it was to political.
I would have thought they all would take the case pro bono just to prove to the community that there are some property rights.

If I knew then what I know now I would never have bought here.

We all have heard and seen what hapened here on the North coast
more scandals will follow.
Paul, you are the one that told me about your budget, the ammounts you had in the banks and which banks you had it in, what you live on, and when you expected your retirement in the future. You even gave me your monthly budget and what it went for.

You were then in Pesos and I told you I was in dollars. The peso went from 16 to 1 to 54 to 1. It is about 45 to 1 today. I am glad you are doing what you consider well and I am glad I passed on the higher rates in Pesos and stayed in dollars 2 years ago when we had this discussion. I don't know how you do your math and frankly am not interested in finding out. I wish you all the best.

Scott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Paul Thate said:
Scott we had very few discussions and we will keep it so. I never gave you any indication of my personal finances..
The one thing you did get right is that we will NEVER have another discussion about anything again Paul. It is truly not on my agenda.

Not only did you give me total info on your personal finances but you told me to the penny what you make and how you spend it which of course I never would have asked about because it is none of my business. You were also quite proud of it at the time.

The one thing I did learn from you or partially learned from you was how much I should budget for living which in my entire life I never ever even thought of doing a budget. This is the last time I will even respond to your nonsense Paul so if you reply and I don't respond you will know why.

I have used what you said was your monthly budget to advise others but never attached a name to it because I didn't want to talk about anothers business publicly.

Scott

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Escott said:
The tone was to try to put my talents for lack of a better word in a bad light.

Nothing new here and it usually comes from someone without posting their experience in anything and just to knock others down. I usually just look at it from a prospective that people go through life being jealous of everyone else for different reasons. I am comfortable being myself and doing what I do. I even enjoy myself and my life so that is all that counts and not the feelings of the Unwashed:)

I am only kidding guys. Have at it and I hope you get as much enjoyment out of your post as I certainly do out of mine!

Funny thing John is that they question your experience also without laying out one thing that they have done other than live and obviously b1tch! LOL

Scott

I truly look forward to discussing my tone, your talents,my jealousy,your comfort levels and our mutual enjoyment at Breezes on Friday night.

I will even wash LOL

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Really?

johne said:

JOHN

I fail to see anywhere that I am attempting to justify a trend. Merely reporting a fact that I saw as interesting and absolutely supports this thread topic of rising real estate prices and the views of many of us that actually live here, including those of your man.

Maybe you are getting way tooooo stressed by the current and immediate security warnings in your city....oh weren't they were 4 years old?

Perhaps you would like to retreat to my home in the Hamptons for the weekend to chill a bit....(that's a genuine offer) and ponder the latest intel chatter that states apparently (or even allegedly) the Japs are going to bomb Pearl Harbour. LOL

have a nice day ;)

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Ken said:
Hey, Paul, if you have a bone to pick with Scott, leave me out of it.

Regarding the supposed "inner circle", that's a laugh. At least if there is one, I am not part of it.

If we all dropped out because we were offended by something, who would be here to answer the legitimate questions of the newcomers.

Ken I have no bone to pick with Scott .
I just don't like the man at all. And that since for one of the DR1 parties
we were going to come with about 15 people. We were told by him we were welcome except a good friend of ours who was uninvited.
Uninvited for the reason you would not believe.
My friend was uninvited because he made a joke about George Bush.
And who would not , Bush is a wingnut.
So nobody of us showed up at the DR1 party.
This disinvitation I found so small-minded, we all lost total respect for the man.

Me dropping out from this forum has nothing to do with being offended .
Years ago this board was fun and informative. Then a group took over and made it no more fun.
Its not my board , I did not complain I quietly left and have not posted since January.
I needed to come back because Scott invoked my name.
In an unnecceraiy answer to somebody else.
So again he starts all this nonsense.

I did not start it , I did not ask for it,

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Escott said:
Paul, you are the one that told me about your budget, the ammounts you had in the banks and which banks you had it in, what you live on, and when you expected your retirement in the future.
Scott

Yes I told you about my peso accounts.
And when I told you that that was in a private discussion.
To see those details posted in a public Forum without my permission
shows us all what an uncouth man you really are.
That is totally unacceptable behavior.

You mentioned my pesos account were all my nest eggs or what ever.
while again my personal finances are nobodies business and since you attempted to make it public. My pesos here is just play money.
It has nothing todo with any nest egg.

All this has nothing to on this board, It adds nothing . Nobody learns anything.
Except may be to watch out for you.
And that most of us do already.

It shows again what type of role you play here.

And stop hijacking this thread . It was started by someone else
about realestate surely not my personal finances.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
gjsuk said:
I truly look forward to discussing my tone, your talents,my jealousy,your comfort levels and our mutual enjoyment at Breezes on Friday night.

I will even wash LOL
Does this mean I have to wash also? LOL

I don't mind your tone in the slightest. There is NOTHING I mind about you. See you on Friday evening unless there is something unforseen that comes up.

To Paul and this is the last post to you, for you or about you.

I disinvited a fellow who I believe was a Brit. On a thread that I started to have a "PARTY" and not a "ROAST" just using US Thanksgiving as a day to do this, not to celebrate anything really, just to bring people together, he took the opportunity to show his LOW CLASS to Roast the US President, the US as a country for no reason other than to be a jerk. Yes it bothered me and I figured I didn't want a guy to come to my PARTY who had nothing to offer other than gratuitous BS about the country I am from and the people that govern it. I wasn't the only person that took offense from his post. It was really low class but hey, he has the right to be LOW CLASS just as I had the right to disinvite him because I didn't like his post nor his attitude.

Too bad you didn't come in protest. Broke my heart! After all we only had 150 NON whiners that had a fabulous time.

Scott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Paul Thate said:
Yes I told you about my peso accounts.
And when I told you that that was in a private discussion.
To see those details posted in a public Forum without my permission
shows us all what an uncouth man you really are.
That is totally unacceptable behavior.

You mentioned my pesos account were all my nest eggs or what ever.
while again my personal finances are nobodies business and since you attempted to make it public. My pesos here is just play money.
It has nothing todo with any nest egg.

All this has nothing to on this board, It adds nothing . Nobody learns anything.
Except may be to watch out for you.
And that most of us do already.

It shows again what type of role you play here.

And stop hijacking this thread . It was started by someone else
about realestate surely not my personal finances.
I never discussed your personal finances with any specifics. I just quoted the exchange rates at the times we spoke and nothing more other than you were pushing pesos to people and I was pushing Dollars to people. Marshall is a perfect example of someone that listened to your advice who wished he hadn't. Keep on kidding yourself about how good you do and that you don't care if the peso goes to 100. I have a friggin bridge to sell you after that happens.

I will quote right from this thread.

"Scott we had very few discussions and we will keep it so. I never gave you any indication of my personal finances.
I would hope you won't do that again."

You just said this and now you change your tune. You are a crazy man and I cant argue with a crazy because it would make me crazy. End of discussion. You are simply crazy and a bore.

Bye bye

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
Well if you live in Calif ....

then the DR is still a real bargain :). The owners of SeaHorse visited us a few weeks ago here and they were also dumbfounded as to what is going on. The lot I bought a year ago has doubled and they have even sold a non-ocean front home for 1.1 million. I think Cabarete is the "driving source" (and now a zoo) and it has moved back towards Sosua. It is 90% gringos (as pointed out a big change from 5 years ago) for they realize what a bargain it is ...

But, buyers be aware ...

1.) Security
2.) Location
3.) Good lawyer
4.) Power
5.) AND good management, for when you are away, things will still be there :)

I hear a golf course is going up and a convention center for Sosua?? If the DR solves a few of their problems, then watch out!! But, as we all know, it is a calculated gamble for it is a third world country. My advice to friends is always the same -- spend money you can afford to loose and I wouldn't have all my eggs in the DR. BUT, if you plan to live there, well, even with all the problems it is great!!

I'm building a new home in SH now and in three month or so I will sell my Penthouse (upscale Sosua). Robert, a little spam???

www.singletravel.com/penthouse/

Singletravel@hotmail.com