Robbed in La Sirena

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Most large companies have someone who is responsible for checking all Facebook posts and ensuring that nothing negative is left there. But these people always work in head office and always know what to do about an unhappy customer, so if you do post, although it usually gets deleted, "strangely" you find that someone important responds to your complaint quite quickly after that. I use this a lot for US and UK companies, usually works.

I obviously don?t know the situation of all companies, but based on what I have seen, I disagree.

I also deal with online reputation management, and any company, that only has positive content on their FB page, would appear suspicious to me. A few companies I know, have specific rules, that everything must stay, due to transparency reasons. Like I said above, only pointless swearing and attacks (for obvious reasons) are deleted, but nothing legitimate.

I think nobody expects companies to do everything perfectly, there are normal people working everywhere, so making mistakes is part of life, it?s the way the mistakes are handled, that?s important. Again, if I saw a FB page with nothing negative on it, I?d think there?s something they want to hide.

Besides, how a company can handle public complaints, would be a change to show their prospective clients what are the capable of...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I obviously don?t know the situation of all companies, but based on what I have seen, I disagree.

I also deal with online reputation management, and any company, that only has positive content on their FB page, would appear suspicious to me. A few companies I know, have specific rules, that everything must stay, due to transparency reasons. Like I said above, only pointless swearing and attacks (for obvious reasons) are deleted, but nothing legitimate.

I think nobody expects companies to do everything perfectly, there are normal people working everywhere, so making mistakes is part of life, it?s the way the mistakes are handled, that?s important. Again, if I saw a FB page with nothing negative on it, I?d think there?s something they want to hide.

Besides, how a company can handle public complaints, would be a change to show their prospective clients what are the capable of...

josh, i understand what you are saying, but this is too egregious to be characterized as a mistake.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
josh, i understand what you are saying, but this is too egregious to be characterized as a mistake.

Good point, my comment was more in the general level though... As the poster I responded to, was speaking of US/UK companies.

I did not even think at this particular case per se. We have left a few times a couple of food or other insignificant items to these lockers, I would never leave anything with more value...

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
In case any of you don't have this on your laptop, put it on now, don't hesitate.

https://preyproject.com/

Who has a laptop and doesn't connect to the internet?

When the thief connects it will tell you exactly where they are, it can take a photo of them from the webcam, you can take screenshots of what they are looking at, wipe device, lock device, get reports.

It's awesome.

Sorry for your loss.

If any of you have a laptop I can't stress enough about how much this program is a necessity for your device.

thats great i dont understand why all the cell phone /comp/tablet robberies...my comp. is supposed to be for me until i sell/give away etc...

Valletta

Dec 13, 2009
Valletta, you never mentioned.. what was in your bags? Value? I would go ballistic over a laptop disappearing, but a bag or two of cheap clothes.... not so much.

It was our first port of call. I usually take a camera but I forgot it that day and just had my glasses case and a small tripod. I had put my wife's carrier bag inside with a cold bag for the frozen stuff and we had two baseball caps.
The boss and the employee were trying to suggest that I was making up the story and I had no proof. They were pretty smug on that point. I felt at one stage that they were calling me a liar.
I am sure that the woman must have remembered just handing out the bags. She remembered the laptop.
I guess the value to replace the stuff is about $70.00USD.

Valletta

Dec 13, 2009
We are not too upset about having to replace this stuff but I feel really sorry for the Dominican kid who had his laptop handed over to thieves by the staff of La Sirena. They didn't deal with situation very well at all. I have never liked their stupid see thru secure boxes - I forgot the number once and it took me ages to get someone to open the box. Also half the boxes have been sabotaged by kids I guess, so that they are unusable.
I didn't like the way that the staff just smugly wrote us off. It was like winners and losers.

Last edited:

Valletta

Dec 13, 2009
I have put a little comment on their facebook page. It wasn't taken off quickly. It is still there after a half hour.

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
I do not believe this was an accident. I believe the store employee was in on it. Dominicans keep a good eye on their s$%t, they are street smart. No way this lady believed that story and let the thieves walk off with gringo stuff and a laptop. I could see this being an act of pure stupidity in some rural North American community where people don't lock their doors waaaaaay more than I could see this happening here. Dominicans reeeeeaaaaallly like to lock their stuff up and they all seem to know a million ways someone could "work around" my pretty substantial security measures at home, jejejejeje…. they think about theft a lot here.

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
It was probably her "chulo" who pulled the pre-arranged caper to get her the free school supplies and laptop!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It was probably her "chulo" who pulled the pre-arranged caper to get her the free school supplies and laptop!!

now you?re talking!! she probably saw the guy put the laptop in the box, and texted chulo to come get it.

i repeat...nobody is that stupid to have done that by mistake.

Valletta

Dec 13, 2009
After leaving a message on facebook, I got an email soon afterwards. I just chatted to the main office and the lady was fluent in English.
She is going to deal with this now.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
After leaving a message on facebook, I got an email soon afterwards. I just chatted to the main office and the lady was fluent in English.

kudos to you! this is 2015. stuff like this should not be only the center of an internet conversation. you could have had something in that parcel which was extremely valuable and important to you, and of no use to the guy who mooched it. you might have just struck a blow for future would be victims.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

Nice !!!!!!!!
Applause.....

The Power of Social Media never ceases to amaze me...
good stuff.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Nice !!!!!!!!
Applause.....

good stuff.

not to mention the power of someone who is willing to use it to fight a good fight. too many people here get away with too much crap. to this mutt, the OP was just another gringo looking to drink some Brugal and get some cheap poon. well, someone is not looking so good right now. it has gotten to management, which means some Spaniards might be involved. i am sure they have a different approach to how things should be done.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Nice !!!!!!!!
Applause.....

good stuff.

Completely agree, and well done OP!

FB and other social media is also not dependent on the know-how of the user, as in any website with contact form etc. can be broken, but it?s more difficult to claim that one hasn?t received a message in FB.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012

OK, so now here's what you do. NO WAY was the stuff in your bag worth $70USD. You had your brand new Iphone in it, as well as other items of considerable value.
Go for the gusto.