S. Juan Mall Gringo Ripoff Attempt

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
One of the most maddening aspects of living in the DR is having to fight over nearly everything you buy. I have given up. What is even worse is facing the wife after the buy. "You paid how much?" Solution for me is I just have the wife do the buying. Its mail order I do it. Fix the car its her haggling the price. Its a cultural thing that will not change no matter how much I complain. Its their country and they will run it any way they like. The only thing I have control over is my attitude.

Very true . I let Mi girl fren do all the shopping, and stay out of the store. On the house we just bought, the realtor quoted me about 35% higher than her.....DOC....

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
There was a price. It came to a total of 4,015 rd. The price was in Dollars, but the saleslady converted it to Pesos. It was only when she went to pay and I walked over did another girl come over and give the price as 7,200 rd.

Ah, there's the detail we needed. If the price was in US $$$, they used one conversion rate for her, and another rate for you. That + the locals pricing is why the difference was so drastic.

As always, buyer beware.

Feb 7, 2007
Strange. I don't have these issue.

Actually I do... sometimes. I left my car at a taller as a front drive train started to give squeaky noise on a ride from SD yesterday; happens that a (Haitian?) motoconcho wanted to charge me today 90 pesos for what is usually 50 pesos ride. I told him something and then more. At the end he was happy to walk away with 50 pesos. One of the things I told him was that I have more time here than him and that I was not born yesterday, and that if he didn't like 50 pesos well that was his problem and he could go complain to whomever he wished. And those were the nice things told, actually. He also got to hear not so nice things such as ladron desgraciado and estafador del mas alto calibre.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Strange. I don't have these issue.

Actually I do... sometimes. I left my car at a taller as a front drive train started to give squeaky noise on a ride from SD yesterday; happens that a (Haitian?) motoconcho wanted to charge me today 90 pesos for what is usually 50 pesos ride. I told him something and then more. At the end he was happy to walk away with 50 pesos. One of the things I told him was that I have more time here than him and that I was not born yesterday, and that if he didn't like 50 pesos well that was his problem and he could go complain to whomever he wished. And those were the nice things told, actually. He also got to hear not so nice things such as ladron desgraciado and estafador del mas alto calibre.

That was not a motoconcho but a motoco?aso.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
There was a price. It came to a total of 4,015 rd. The price was in Dollars, but the saleslady converted it to Pesos. It was only when she went to pay and I walked over did another girl come over and give the price as 7,200 rd.

Ah, there's the detail we needed. If the price was in US $$$, they used one conversion rate for her, and another rate for you. That + the locals pricing is why the difference was so drastic.

I also agree, the pricing in USD was pretty relevant information, as I've also seen that there can be a striking difference. I haven't yet seen that the pricing in DOP would differ that much, let alone with a smaller purchase like this.

Had I been the OP or the cook, when I had discovered their "plan", I would have left the merchandise right there, and left the store. I would understand a small store doing something like this, but a mall??

I've never been to a store here with USD pricing, but I could imagine this being possible in a tourist zone... But, for some services, in particular with taxi, we've been quoted occasionally the price in USD, and I always say that it won't work because we have no dollars, only pesos... The price always drops... Once we left a taxi, that was trying to rip us off, yelling behind, as we found another one, who quoted the correct price in pesos...

This is also the reason I always disagree when I see that travel agencies abroad declare that "you can safely use USDs as payment currency on your vacation in the DR". I've never seen any other charge, that they force you to pay in USD, than the tourist tax you pay on arrival, but I could be wrong though... Anyway, I'm pretty sure that there are few services/products, for which you cannot pay in DOP...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I also agree, the pricing in USD was pretty relevant information, as I've also seen that there can be a striking difference. I haven't yet seen that the pricing in DOP would differ that much, let alone with a smaller purchase like this.

Had I been the OP or the cook, when I had discovered their "plan", I would have left the merchandise right there, and left the store. I would understand a small store doing something like this, but a mall??

I've never been to a store here with USD pricing, but I could imagine this being possible in a tourist zone... But, for some services, in particular with taxi, we've been quoted occasionally the price in USD, and I always say that it won't work because we have no dollars, only pesos... The price always drops... Once we left a taxi, that was trying to rip us off, yelling behind, as we found another one, who quoted the correct price in pesos...

This is also the reason I always disagree when I see that travel agencies abroad declare that "you can safely use USDs as payment currency on your vacation in the DR". I've never seen any other charge, that they force you to pay in USD, than the tourist tax you pay on arrival, but I could be wrong though... Anyway, I'm pretty sure that there are few services/products, for which you cannot pay in DOP...

i have taken a new approach to these folks. i no longer argue prices with them. the minute i know they are trying to hose me, i leave. there are no discussions, and bargaining. i do not ask them to drop the price. i just leave. Amazon is my friend, even if it costs me more in the end.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
i have taken a new approach to these folks. i no longer argue prices with them. the minute i know they are trying to hose me, i leave. there are no discussions, and bargaining. i do not ask them to drop the price. i just leave. Amazon is my friend, even if it costs me more in the end.
Good approach, they usually call you back with a better price. With a taxi I always refuse to deal with them and just go to another taxi. The 2nd taxi usually see's what happened with the first taxi and gives me a good price the first time. (Tourist area, Bus station, etc)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Good approach, they usually call you back with a better price. With a taxi I always refuse to deal with them and just go to another taxi. The 2nd taxi usually see's what happened with the first taxi and gives me a good price the first time. (Tourist area, Bus station, etc)

Santiago, if they call me back with a better price, i tell them to go take a dump in a hat. i tell them they should not have tried to skin me at the outset, and i am no longer in the mood to transact business with them...

jpblan2001

Jun 23, 2014
The same thing happened to me at the Hamaca resort, I got a gringo price and was interrupted by the employee there taking a phone call and she stated to the caller since he or she was Dominican the price was half as she had just quoted me. I turned to my Dominican girlfriend and asked her to make the reservation and I would pay. Interestingly enough she gave me a bewildered look as why should I do that. My guess is she thought whatever the price it meant nothing to me and I should pay the gringo price. Finally she did what I said and I was not impressed with the Hamaca nor the girl. The Hamaca is one of the worst resort I have ever been to. It was in great need of decent food and upgrades. My experiences in the DR have been over the years negative, but there is a charm to the country which I have liked. Nonetheless, the gringo tax has gotten me to now pass on the DR and I now much enjoy Colombia. Women are beautiful, police are no where near as ignorant as the ones in the DR, food is great, the prices are low and most of all no gringo price gauging.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The same thing happened to me at the Hamaca resort, I got a gringo price and was interrupted by the employee there taking a phone call and she stated to the caller since he or she was Dominican the price was half as she had just quoted me. I turned to my Dominican girlfriend and asked her to make the reservation and I would pay. Interestingly enough she gave me a bewildered look as why should I do that. My guess is she thought whatever the price it meant nothing to me and I should pay the gringo price. Finally she did what I said and I was not impressed with the Hamaca nor the girl. The Hamaca is one of the worst resort I have ever been to. It was in great need of decent food and upgrades. My experiences in the DR have been over the years negative, but there is a charm to the country which I have liked. Nonetheless, the gringo tax has gotten me to now pass on the DR and I now much enjoy Colombia. Women are beautiful, police are no where near as ignorant as the ones in the DR, food is great, the prices are low and most of all no gringo price gauging.

at least you walked away learning something most of us know. Dominicans have a siege mentality. it is them against the world. if you go hanging out with a bunch of Dominicans, and another Dominican comes up and wants to start some ish, the guys you think were your buds will help the other Dominican to kick your ass. similarly, if you go shopping with a Dominican, and he or she witnesses you being ripped off, they are not going to defend your pocket. they will help their fellow Dominican to rip you off, then beg you for money for a Samsun Galasi..

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
similarly, if you go shopping with a Dominican, and he or she witnesses you being ripped off, they are not going to defend your pocket. they will help their fellow Dominican to rip you off, then beg you for money for a Samsun Galasi..

My experience has been the opposite. I've been with Dominicans and the person on the other side tried to gouge me, and they argued on my side. On many occasions. But I also treat them like equals and don't expect them to cater to my every whim.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
My experience has been the opposite. I've been with Dominicans and the person on the other side tried to gouge me, and they argued on my side. On many occasions. But I also treat them like equals and don't expect them to cater to my every whim.

asking someone not to rook you is not being whimsical....

let me give you a recent example. this girl i know was in town visiting some relatives in POP. last Friday, she called mt to ask me if i could spot her some money for her busfare back to Bani. i told her i could give her 500 pesos *toward it, but she had to come get it. she was in front of the public hospital in POP, a 30 peso ride from my apartment. i told her to get a motoconcho, and i would pay. she shows up, and the motoconcho says 100 pesos. i tell him i may be a foreigner, but that i have been coming to this country since the grand old days of Balaguer. i told him i have never paid more than 30 pesos for that ride. well, she chirps in that 100 is fair, bla bla bla. so, i give the concho guy the 100 pesos, and tell her to go get the busfare from him. that is how us Jamaican guys roll.

Last edited:

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
The point is they've helped not because I've asked them, but I've treated them with respect and earned theirs in return. Your example makes my point, where the young lady tries to shake you down for bus money because she doesn't respect you.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I don't normally have to deal with this, but my approach is a bit different.

When buying something or a service, I tell them I am looking at various offers up front. This usually settles the issue.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The point is they've helped not because I've asked them, but I've treated them with respect and earned theirs in return. Your example makes my point, where the young lady tries to shake you down for bus money because she doesn't respect you.

oh...you think she tried to shake me down because i have not earned her respect. so give me some pointers, since you seem to know the pathway. i mean, i thought being generous to a person in their time of need is worthy of respect, but i guess i am wrong.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
oh...you think she tried to shake me down because i have not earned her respect. so give me some pointers, since you seem to know the pathway. i mean, i thought being generous to a person in their time of need is worthy of respect, but i guess i am wrong.
Never once said that you didn't make the sincere effort to do the right thing. But you offered the additional info of having her ask for more than she needed, and having to stand your ground with her.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Jan 7, 2016
If you want the "non-gringo" pricing on things, produce a Residency Card or Cedula...works 98% of the time here in Bavaro! NEVER pay in U.S. Dollars or Euros in Punta Cana/Bavaro...you'll get screwed twice, once on the price and again on the exchange rate!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Never once said that you didn't make the sincere effort to do the right thing. But you offered the additional info of having her ask for more than she needed, and having to stand your ground with her.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

actually she did not ask for a specific amount. it is 320 pesos just to Santo Domingo. i offered her 500. that is not more than she needed. she lives in Bani....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If you want the "non-gringo" pricing on things, produce a Residency Card or Cedula...works 98% of the time here in Bavaro! NEVER pay in U.S. Dollars or Euros in Punta Cana/Bavaro...you'll get screwed twice, once on the price and again on the exchange rate!

i do not know too many guys who produce a cedula to buy a rotisserie chicken...