Safe areas to live in SD.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
We are thinking about renting in SD for a while, not anytime soon as we have to sell our house but I wanted to start looking around at some places.

So you?ve got a few years, at least, plenty of time.

I have no idea what rental prices are there but I wouldn't want to spend much over $1000 a month.

On that budget you have more than enough to pick a place anywhere you like, everywhere has property in that price range. Have you not considered renting out the beach and bringing in an income off that. I am sure a nice beach house can rent out for quite a sum.

I have a place in the centre of the city and my little shack outside of the city en route to Boca Chica, 5 minutes up the road. I don?t know many people who live in the centre of the city who would do it again if they had the chance, and no one who lives there who does not have to work there. Consider out of the city but within driving range. I?m 5 minutes to Boca Chica and 20 minutes to the centre of the city. I only live in the city when I have to work, which I dont really like doing either of.

Those six dogs are going to be hard to place in the city. One or two perhaps but SIX.. ?? That is going to put you in negihborhoods pretty far away from the center of things.. Casigasgos, Arroyo Hondo, Los Rios.. might have enough room.

Also, not sure that you are going to be closer to a swimmable ocean here in SD than in STI..

I don't need to swim in it, I just want to be able to see it sometimes. I live on the Beach and have gone in it maybe 5 times in the year. I way prefer a pool.
I don't need to be City Center, just not an hour away.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Look for Isabel Villas online Harley, I know for sure there is one or two of the oldest house for rent under 1000$, altough majority of the houses are over 2500$.

Its a high secured residencial in cuesta Hermosa III, huge pool, tennis, basket ball court, ping pong/pool table and a 9 hole golf court + huge driving range. The kind of place that feels like you are in Canada with the advantage of the DR! You can walk at midnight with your dog outside for an hour without feeling any danger.

I live here and would never go anywhere else!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Well Hug, I live in the City and do not have to work and there are plenty of retirees that I see around here and the Zona who live here in Gazcue who really like it. I am with Harley, I love to look at the Ocean but swim in the pool. There is a sweet little house forent down one of the little streets here. Next to one for sale for 300k .. Do not know if $1k would do it,.. perhaps.. Maybe just keep the dogs a secret? or half of them?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Her digital piano she has only had for 6 months is screwing up and her amp is not working. I have had to fix my new MacBook Pro already and it only worked for a few months after it was fixed and the wife's Mac book pro needs fixing too! I can see the salt in the air at night on my outside cameras.

IMO, a BIG mistake to get too close to that ocean.

Go to the hills.... view, breezes, and much less salt hassle..
Land is cheaper, life is better.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I see nothing but water from my house... 2A, 300 ft up on a cliff, 1/4 mile from that water.....90 seconds from the main road
constant breeze, spectacular view.... whales , the works.

Speak to Sotheby's in Cabarete.....

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Well Hug, I live in the City and do not have to work and there are plenty of retirees that I see around here and the Zona who live here in Gazcue who really like it. I am with Harley, I love to look at the Ocean but swim in the pool. There is a sweet little house forent down one of the little streets here. Next to one for sale for 300k .. Do not know if $1k would do it,.. perhaps.. Maybe just keep the dogs a secret? or half of them?

I don?t think Harley it looking to start the coffee mornings and knitting classes just yet.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It's hard to say. Piantini is full of high rise appartment buildings, no real 'barrios' near, but some of the most apalling robberies and shootings have taken place in Piantini. Ofcourse that's also because it's bigger news when these things happen in a sector like Piantini.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
You might want to look to see if some long term rentals are available at the Metro golf course near Juan Dolio. It is close enought to Santo Domingo for easy access for weekend or day trips.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I don?t think Harley it looking to start the coffee mornings and knitting classes just yet.

I stay in Gazcue and love it here. I have views of the ocean, I can walk to everything I need, and when I want to see the other side of the city it's a short cab ride away. If I want to hit the beach BC is a 70 peso gua gua ride away or the NC a 400 peso bus ride away. For me it's the best when you're not a retiree but not trying to work either. Don't drink coffee but a beer in the morning does just fine for now.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
With his budget of $1,000 a month, "Metro" is not an option.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I haven't lived in the DR for a while so I haven't kept up with the prices. We were members at Metro when they first started building and had a special offer for club members of a basic house for 120,000 (I believe this was the price). It is the only real estate deal I regret passing up on in the DR.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Have you considered just getting a nice but inexpensive apartment in Santiago? You could spend a few days a week there catching up on movies, traditional restaurants, and decent stores, then head to the NC for the weekend.

It's only about an hour commute, which is better than most folks have living in SD. Further, the higher altitude means weather in Santiago is cooler and more pleasant year-round (and much more friendly for electronics).