Santiago Free Zones are celebrating their 50th year

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Miguel-Lama-ZF-Santiago-N-Digital-1024x623.jpeg

Miguel Lama, president of the board of directors of the Santiago Free Zone Corporation, shared the new vision for the development of leading manufacturing zone and announced activities for the celebration of the anniversary.

The Santiago Free Zone Corporation was started in 1974 in a depressed area of the country’s second largest city. It was during the early days of the installation of tax-free export manufacturing in the country.

“The Corporation has inspired and supported high-profile projects for Santiago, the northern region and the country. It has been a fundamental pillar for the Dominican economy, standing out for its ability to generate employment, attract investments and contribute to the social and economic growth of the nation,” said Lama.

Lama said that back then, the vision was to transform the industrial park and the institutional ecosystem into the...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I spent a lot of time in that Free Zone. We used to bring our company cars in trailers back in those days.

Reactions: keepcoming

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I spent a lot of time in that Free Zone. We used to bring our company cars in trailers back in those days.
Cars, pampers, appliances, a/c’s, barbecue grills, furniture, you name it we shipped it. My partner even brought a helicopter in a container 20+ years ago to the zona franca… thought he could slip it through/pay someone off but got caught. Took a while to clean up that mess.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Lol...pampers were a hot commodity back in the day...

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Lol...pampers were a hot commodity back in the day...
We brought a lot of um "hard to find" items in our trailers, that's for sure.
Aduana agents back then were a different breed, and they loved their rum and Christmas baskets.
All of this gets me reminiscing about those days back then.