Santo Domingo carnival

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
................2 years ago I believe one group dressed as the KKK.........

Well looks like they took it a step further this year........... Sometimes i wonder what goes through peoples minds......SMH

29gj5u1.jpg

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I still think the Carnaval in SD is the bigest is go all the way to the Malecon in Santo Domingo, you can not compared with La Vega, the one in La Vega could be the most popular but not the bigger.

I've been to Carnival in Santo Domingo, Santiago, Puerto Plata and La Vega. All several times except only once in Puerto Plata. To me none, including in S.D. come close to La Vega.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
In La Vega the spectators are much more nearer the performers and therefore a better atmosphere. And afterwards there's a big free concert in the Stadium with worldclass artists.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I was watching news on tv last night and for my surprise they announced another carnival for Santo domingo on march 4th.  Thats mean that the carnival for Feb 25th will participate only Santo Domingo, and will continue first sunday of march the big one where comes to participate groups from whole country.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I was watching news on tv last night and for my surprise they announced another carnival for Santo domingo on march 4th.  Thats mean that the carnival for Feb 25th will participate only Santo Domingo, and will continue first sunday of march the big one where comes to participate groups from whole country.

Something mighty weird going on with news reporting of Carnaval 2018.

vhuv4o.jpg

I quoted the JasonD post but at this moment the original post is not in this thread. The DiarioLibre link says the 25 de febrero Carnaval on the malecon will have marching troupes from all over the island............. Something mighty, mighty strange......

https://www.diariolibre.com/revista...o-2018-ya-tiene-fecha-lugar-y-reina-BY9054553

I still don't understand how they could report the Grand Carnaval is on the 25th when there will be smaller Carnavals on the 25th throughout the country. DiarioLibre needs to retract that report................

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
It seems that the organizers who allow this Nazi display are just as ignorant as the rest of the population. As well include the mayor of Sto Dgo for allowing a blatant race/hate organization such as the KKK to be imitated in dress and allowed to parade in carnival.I sold my property in the DR to get away from such uneducated/corrupt people. I just couldn't take it anymore. I truly feel bad for people moving to the DR thinking its paradise. It's a toilet bowl. Thanks Big bird for posting this Nazi picture. I don't know how anyone on this forum can justify this in a carnival!!!
http://i66.tinypic.com/29gj5u1.jpg

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
It seems that the organizers who allow this Nazi display are just as ignorant as the rest of the population. As well include the mayor of Sto Dgo for allowing a blatant race/hate organization such as the KKK to be imitated in dress and allowed to parade in carnival.I sold my property in the DR to get away from such uneducated/corrupt people. I just couldn't take it anymore. I truly feel bad for people moving to the DR thinking its paradise. It's a toilet bowl. Thanks Big bird for posting this Nazi picture. I don't know how anyone on this forum can justify this in a carnival!!!
http://i66.tinypic.com/29gj5u1.jpg

I am surprised no one else made any comment about that Nazi picture. My opinion it certainly has no place in Carnaval. That foto comes from the Carnaval Vegano link i posted.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
It sends bad vibes to my inner being.
On the other hand there are other races that will take serious offence to such displays.
This site does not allow racism topics and postings. Good on you!

I prefer the LeVaga Carnival.

I hope that Luperon will have a Fiesta ; it will be small ; but, big isn't always best.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

Your issues with the RD seem to delve deeper than a simple Carnaval event. If you truly feel as such, why continue to contribute to a forum dedicated to the RD? I truly hope your current location treats you better than the RD did, and evolves into the Utopia you seek.

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
Im only on here to communicate with friends still living here and catch up on their lives. But please answer one question Caonabo, Does a Nazi float belong in a carnival parade? Yes the Nazi organization that killed 6 million Jews. THAT Nazi group. Yes or no, is this appropriate? Should'nt someone on this DR1 group with a knowledge of history have been outraged by this ?

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
2 years ago in carnival it was a KKK group, this year a Nazi group! Do these Dominicans realize that both groups would be happy, to say the least, to hang a Dominican from a tree or gas them? The ignorance is beyond words! Ask the Jews in Sosua ,you know the ones who fled Europe to escape persecution? Ask them if they enjoyed the KKK and Nazi floats! Yes when I see these displays of insensitivity, ignorance I couldn't be happier that I packed up and left.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Allow me to first state that I do not always agree with every participant's choice of theme or related costumes in various Carnaval events, but also allow me to take it a large step further and offer some brief insight into what some could possibly be thinking with their choice of theme and respective costumes for these events.

Here in the RD, Carnaval functions similar to Halloween parades in other locales worldwide, with their elaborate costumes associated with particular themes. The overall theme is ridding society as a whole of evil. Evil things. Evil people. Past evil events shall never be repeated. This is specifically the reason for the displays of a Hitler or KKK themed displays and/or costumes, as well as others some may find to be in poor taste by their owm personal standards. The individuals are not promoting, celebrating or glorifying these particular people or organizations, but rather condemning them to hell, for the evil they inflicted upon others. If you pay closer attention, behind these themes you will see a group of men walking behind with the bull whips. The sharp crack of the bull whips is to signify whipping the devil back behind the gates of hell. Other displays have shown former political persons, thieves, murderers, and all types of perceived "evil" things or persons in history. In accordance with the overall theme, it is ridding society of all evil.

As always, if you originate from a different locale and culture, have varying political or religious beliefs, you may not understand, you may not agree, and you may not believe. If you do not this is fine, but you should take the time to try and figure out the reasons for why certain things exist in different places before jumping to conclusions and denigrating an entire country, it's respective populace, and it's respective culture.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I must wholeheartedly agree with eastcoastmike, the ignorance is beyond words, but not on the part of the Dominicans during Carnaval.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
@Caonabo post #34, quite interesting your explanation........

One that also often bothered me was the sugar cane marchers. These would be the ones who rub what i call black shoe shine polish all over their body and struggle walking as they carry sugar cane on their shoulders. Now behind them has always been marchers cracking the whip.......

Myself, with a born and raised in USA mindset, always saw this as Haitian slaves being whipped by the slave overseer to work harder, work faster, produce more..... but according to you this is not the theme but actually one where those with the whips are saying this was a bad time in history so let's not repeat this?

I do realize there is a LOT more to Carnaval than a bunch of people walking down the road with colorful costumes..........

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
once again @ Caonabo or anyone who may know......... getting back to that Nazi pic post #21. Just off center there is someone with white painted face, blue hair, red lips squatting down behind the car. This person appears to be part of the "float". If so what signal is he sending?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
@Caonabo post #34, quite interesting your explanation........

One that also often bothered me was the sugar cane marchers. These would be the ones who rub what i call black shoe shine polish all over their body and struggle walking as they carry sugar cane on their shoulders. Now behind them has always been marchers cracking the whip.......

Myself, with a born and raised in USA mindset, always saw this as Haitian slaves being whipped by the slave overseer to work harder, work faster, produce more..... but according to you this is not the theme but actually one where those with the whips are saying this was a bad time in history so let's not repeat this?

I do realize there is a LOT more to Carnaval than a bunch of people walking down the road with colorful costumes..........

It is not a full explanation, but rather only a partial one. Space, time, language, and cultural constraints do not allow me to explain every aspect of the Carnaval experience within one posting, nor one thread within an internet forum for that matter. I also do not pretend to be all knowing. I speak only from direct experience as a person born within the RD. With the information provided, those needing to search for particular answers can enjoy their Sunday, or whichever day Googling, researching, and reading....but this in my experience, may only give you a brief glimpse into the questions you may be seeking. You also can not compare cultural regimens in one nation, to those of another.
In regards to the plight of many that some only choose to see through one angle of tinted glasses, Haitians who originated from Africa were not the only slaves on the island of Hispaniola or throughout the greater Caribbean area. Research the screenname I use.
I myself take greater umbrage with those who here and now attempt to directly befoul an entire nation, it's populace, and it's culture rather than those attempting to display a recreation of historical events, and it's evil origins.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
once again @ Caonabo or anyone who may know......... getting back to that Nazi pic post #21. Just off center there is someone with white painted face, blue hair, red lips squatting down behind the car. This person appears to be part of the "float". If so what signal is he sending?

Again, as I previously stated, I personally do not always agree with every participant's choice of theme or related costumes during the various Carnaval events. That is my own personal position. As far as in regards to each particular theme or display, I can honestly say I do not know, as I have not attended each and every festival, so I did not have the ability to ask questions of the persons directly involved. I would encourage any person who has questions regarding the events, displays, or costumes, to ask those directly involved. Not in a condescending, authoritative, confrontational manner, but simply as a person who may be genuinely interested. Facts are important, not fictitious deduction based on one's own conflicted, personal swayed thought process.