Santo DOmingo Not That dangerous

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
NALs,

Instead of a poll on DR1, how about you do a survey on the streets of Santo Domingo?

Ask the first 100 people 2 questions:

(1) Have you ever been a victim of a crime and NOT report it?

(2) Have you ever heard of anyone being a victim of a crime and NOT reporting it?

Oops,

I'm sorry NALs, are you still going to school and living in Connecticut, U.S.A.?

Factor the answers into your statistics.

If you do manage to do the survey in Santo Domingo, do the same in Connecticut and compare the answers.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I hate to break the news to you but England is known only by LONDON!!! OK you are from England did you really need to point this out.
Is it, really? I'll have to remind the rest of the planet to get it right from here in. Ignorant people refer to England as London. This is like Dominicans thinking all Americans are from NY, if you want to place your level of ignorance there then that is fine by me, it is no shock.

Everytime YOU have the chance you tell a poster they have problems because of the people they hangout with mainly people from the barrio. Most of the people KNOW you are not Dominican or a latino, so you will see a totally different DR through your eyes.
That is not true, when people wonder why they are having issues when in certain situations I try to point out why. Often this is because people are hanging in circles they wouldn't normally hang with in their other life. As for most people knowing I am not Dominican, well yeh, I'm not. It doesn't take a genius to figure this. But I try not to dress like a dick which makes me stand out more than my natural appearance ever could. No matter where you are from, the locals know instantly if you are foreign or not, just in the way you carry yourself, even for players like yourself:cheeky:. Around the family campo, yeh, I'm considered the gringo Gonza as everyone knows me, but I've lived among the community (and others around the island) for a wee while, if you think people act differently or I don't see the real Dominican then cool, we all know how accurate your assumptions are, lol:ermm: And I've told you to stop, you are not good at it:speechles

You are a British most people do not think the British are friendly so they will most likely not talk to you in the airport, or you may look unfriendly I do not know.
Really? No, you don't know do you, lol, I don't tend to spend a lot of time in airports speaking to strangers, but I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with my Britishness, hahaha! Do you think tourists experience the DR, really? maybe this is the problem, you think a tourists eye view is the same as a residents. I would hazard a guess you pulled that from the same place you get the rest of your information, I'd prefer not to go there.

Lastly let me make this clear so you can understand. FOREIGNERS have no problem displaying their wealth in the US. In the DR a foreigner is asking for trouble if they display wealth on a regular basis.
I see you have been reading the handbook, well done. Thanks for pointing this out but I don't need some chump ass wannabe screwed up player pointing out how to get by in life, if you don't mind.

BTW By your own admission you are a gringo with a Dominican wife , so Dominicans ALL DOMINICANS see you as a gringo that likes Dominican women nothing more nothing less. They will never show you their darkest deepest family secrets, because you are not Dominican.
I thought you said 'Lastly' last time?
You are a voice for ALL DOMINICANS now as well, lol. Please you have no clue about Dominican family, my family and I doubt anything else you have heard about AT THE AIRPORT. People in general don't share deepest darkest secrets, WTF you talking about. You have no idea how other people live, think and get by, so please, generalize all you like, you have already shown how ignorant you are by saying all English are from London, so your words are pretty cheap, as you have also mentioned by stating your 'player' credentials.

You state the OBVIOUS all the time because you are unable to look beyond their deceptive appearance. I have visited many countries from Ireland to Nevis and I have NEVER MET so many CON ARTISTS like I meet in DR from upper class to lower class.
Please, 'Lastly' how many times? And stating the obvious, lol, check 2 entries above, lol, your middle name contradiction or presumption, you can't be both.

No one forces anyone to be around anyone else. This is not a class divide this is a person/individuality divide, if you can't surround yourself with good people, then that is the individuals problem, your problem.
And yip, there are lots of con artists around, it seems to be a magnet for them, I'm watching one guy, 'Mr Brown' on the BBC news as I write now who is being held in the DR prison, which is interesting.

So why if you think so little of the people and the country? (which you have shown)do you spend time there, it is so bad, and you feel surrounded by con artists, the police are checking you etc etc etc. This is not the normal requirements people look for when booking up for a break. Or is it all about keeping it gangsta, lol:cheeky:.

So let us agree to disagree, our exchange can not be very amusing reading, you stay to your player lifestyle and hanging out in airports to get your opinions:ermm: and I'll stick to the community, being around friends and family, ok.:classic:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Maybe Dominicans are paranoid, but maybe there's reasons for that.
If the average person was good at accurately judging risk, the insurance business wouldn't be one of the most profitable around.

People are even buying life insurance policies on their children! Those premiums are 100% profits. lol

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
i blame the newspapers & the press they only highlight bad news, but all the positive things that hapens daily in my beloved country surpass by a great margen all those sad stories

Were people as obsessed with death and disaster 20,30,40 years ago? Did people used to queue up to see dead bodies and so on. Or is this unhealthy liking down to the press and TV coverage being so graphic. I dunno, maybe,,, anyone?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Marlon Rojas said:
i blame the newspapers & the press they only highlight bad news, but all the positive things that hapens daily in my beloved country surpass by a great margen all those sad stories
Definitely, but if its not for the bad news, the papers will not sell as much and they need as many eyeballs skimming through their papers pages and websites because that elevates the price of the advertising space, and that's where the money is made.

Dv8 knows this from first hand experience. She owns a pharmacy in Puerto Plata, pharmacies do tend to sell newspapers, and I'm sure she noticed that they fly off the shelves whenever a very negative news makes it to the front page and not so much when nothing big is happening.

And people use newspapers to regulate their feelings or sustain a belief they already have. Those that think things are worst, regardless if they are or not, will concentrate on news stories that confirms their beliefs and they will use it as proof by hastily generalizing. Plenty of studies exist that effectively document this psychological habit and explain why people react like this.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
Thank you for all of the responses. I do understand now that there may not be more murders but there may be more robberies and attempted murders than other locations and it is very dangerous. I just think that the DR is no more dangerous than New Orleans, San Juan, Detroit, Camden, NJ, Newark, NJ, or st. louis, MO. I personally grew up in Brooklyn New York in the hood and I kind of have a sense how it is. But the same type of crimes happen in Puerto rico, parts of new york, detroit and other places inside of the us territories. In my neighborhoosd, outsiders feared coming in after dark due to the shootouts between gangs, drug dealers and police. foreigners did not dare flaunt wealth. IN the streets they would call epople slimey who were like the dr style. The dr people are two faced and cons and can't be trusted. We can see this character in the tougher american ghettos. Ghettos are the same everywhere just like the famous saying.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
The slimey opportunist tiger dr mentality is the same is it is by players and ballers in the american ghettos. don't forget that the usa has 15 percent poverty and the poor neighborhoods with high crime rates in many cases have more drugs that the dr due to the american money that is present which leads to higher crime. i could be wrong, i am just throwing this out there for a discussion to hear people's thoughts and learn more.

Como_un_cameron

Jan 8, 2011
The dr people are two faced and cons and can't be trusted. We can see this character in the tougher american ghettos. Ghettos are the same everywhere just like the famous saying.

So because the US has ghettos, You just insulted an entire nation.
Good for you !!!:bandit:

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
wow, accidentally. i do not mean to or want to or intend to insult an entire nation. both nations have their problems and i honestly do not feel that on is better than another. both nations have people on all scaled of the economic and social ladders. both are two of the best coutnries in the world and i love them both. my point was....the dr is not any more dangerous than american GHETTOS in my opinion and I have not seen anything that changed my opinion but I do understand it is dangerous.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
The USA is losing the battle on crime and drugs and it is a fact. we cant even arrest a murderer of a young child in the usa without massive protests. there are worlds of danger in the usa. look at the border with mexico and the powerful drug cartels, gangs, drugs, prison systems that just train criminals and send them back to the streets. ghettos full of people who will kill at the flip of a dime. we have our problems too in the usa just like the dr has their problems. i do not feetl that santo domingo is more dangerous than an american ghetto is what i am saying. but no insults for either country, i love them both.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
Man to me the DR is pure paradise with it's own problems and the USA is the land of opportunities with it's problems. colombia, venezuela, and mexico are flooding drugs into and through both and it is raising crime, it is not just a dr or usa thing, it is a true crisis. i am from bk, nyc and to me it is different. i was raised in the street around crime 24.7 but i stayed in school and made it out the ghetto. for me, hearing dr is dangeorus is like a baby being told there is a milk bottle. i mean i just think i have a feel for it and know what is going on.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
Me, I always stayed out of trouble, I was the guy far from the corner and I stayed the classroom. Never been to prison, finished high school and college. No dog fights or anything but as you can imagine, i had to be pretty street smart in order to not be dead and live for years there. that is how i can understand the dr crime so well.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Like you are from New York and I'm from Amsterdam.

Sometimes I get the feeling that you and infromda are the same sock.
You being mister player who give his creditcard to a woman, and expect her not to spend more than agreed:eek:
Infromda being a carrying:beard: gangstra, who doesn't want to pay for the salon.

Any way to the op:
If you don't act like a player and don't go out alone at night, your Dominican family will keep you save. They know the city and the reliable moto's.
Just be a little extra alert at night and in some neighbourhoods.
Like being at home with six kids drinking hot tea. Nothing bad will happen, you'll just be a little nerves the first time. After that you'll know, and feel a lot more tranquillo.

About the barrios:
A lot of people here are talking like those neighbourhoods are dangerous. I can tell you this:
THEY ARE!!!
Don't go in alone if you don't know anyone there. If you do go in with someone who lives there, and act normal, and feel tranquillo about saying NO a lot of times, you'll be VERY fine.:cool:

Look if you do not know what a word means do not try to use it. One word can have 100 different meanings.

Player= friend, brotha, homeboy, somebody from you hood or if I do not know your name. White people use DUDE!!! Dominicans use "Montro" they all have the same meaning.

When did I ever say I was from NY? The woman who had my debit card was my wife who have a 3yr old daughter with smart guy.

NY area code is not 773. Bismark, ND is 773 DUDE!!!!

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009

i know it sounds funny but there is great hopelessness in the ghetto where i was raised. most people did not finish high school. half the poeple cant read. they grew up in desperation just like many dominicans. that is what i was saying. before people start saying the dr is worse than the us in crime. go visit a local ghetto. people will be shocked whast they find in the usa. i wil never forget when my friend form a good neighborhood in the suburbs came and spent the night at my house. all he heard was gunshots, screaming, fighting and police and ambulance sirens all night. he had been to jamaica and the caribbean but it change dhow he thought. he felt that some places in the usa were worse than second and third world countries. look at the blacks and latinos int he usa in poor ghettos. it is real man it is real just like the dr barrios. we really live like that. sometimes, we use people for money and use rich relatives for money and things just to get out.

wierdscott

Jan 28, 2012
It isn't just the crime- Santo Domingo is unique and almost an atypical city in the DR, in the regards that it is a filthy crowded dump consistent of what you would expect out of a large third world city. It is the Lagos, Nigeria of the Carribean. I will take Santiago any day over the toilet known as SD.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
It isn't just the crime- Santo Domingo is unique and almost an atypical city in the DR, in the regards that it is a filthy crowded dump consistent of what you would expect out of a large third world city. It is the Lagos, Nigeria of the Carribean. I will take Santiago any day over the toilet known as SD.

I hear what you are saying, I think Santiago is nicer too. But third world cities do not normally have gucci, armani exchange, a metro, neighborhoods where homes cost 100,000 or more or even 1 million dollars. newer cars on the road. dont forget that one in ten dominicans are their wealthy and a lot of them are in santo domingo. go to next door haiti and look at port au prince if you want to see a true third world city. i been there, it is like santo domingo but 10 times poorer. but africa, wow haiti looks rich compared to big cities in most of africa. santo domingo actually does have money in parts of it and in others people are not in abject poverty and have enough to eat and pay their bills. it may not be very pretty but there is obviously money and development in it that true third world cities do not have.