Santo DOmingo Not That dangerous

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
All large cities are dangerous if you don't know which neighborhoods to stay out of.

exactly. it is not a dr thing. it is not their fault that suburbanites with no street smarts flock there. any place or city in the world has a bad side of town or local ghettos to stay out of. if you go the wrong place you better know your stuff or stay out before you get killed and become a victim of their high crime rates. just stay on the resort or in the tourist area in the dr and in the states stay out of the hood. it is just hard to belive so many people think crime and robbers only exist in the dr. they really would not want to come into my neighborhood where i am from in bk without a gun or two and a bullet proof vest and that is in america. the dr has neighborhoods like that too just like america.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
What do you recommend to people who work here?

Secuestran empresario coreano en Nigua - DiarioLibre.com

donP

Honestly, I personally do everything in the dr but I am from nyc and have very advanced street smarts. They just need to know that the type of crime are robberies. This means that people are scouting jewelry and cars and broke people are on the prowl for unsuspecting victims. Do not flash any sign of wealth. stay alert at all times. Do not go places alone after dark. STay out of dangeorus neighborhoods if possible. Do not trust anyone you do not know. Keep pepper spray, mace, maybe a few sharp pens nearby. And understand that the chances of getting kidnapped or robbed are very low. Only a couple of kidnappings have happened in years. Make sure there is an alarm on the house and that the neighbors and nearby workers and people have close ties and will come to your aid if needed. And do not cross the border with haiti because then they might see real danger and kidnappings. and enjoy the caribbean latino hot spicy island paradise. understand that you are lucky to be there.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Honestly, I personally do everything in the dr but I am from nyc and have very advanced street smarts. They just need to know that the type of crime are robberies. This means that people are scouting jewelry and cars and broke people are on the prowl for unsuspecting victims. Do not flash any sign of wealth. stay alert at all times. Do not go places alone after dark. STay out of dangeorus neighborhoods if possible. Do not trust anyone you do not know. Keep pepper spray, mace, maybe a few sharp pens nearby. And understand that the chances of getting kidnapped or robbed are very low. Only a couple of kidnappings have happened in years. Make sure there is an alarm on the house and that the neighbors and nearby workers and people have close ties and will come to your aid if needed. And do not cross the border with haiti because then they might see real danger and kidnappings. and enjoy the caribbean latino hot spicy island paradise. understand that you are lucky to be there.

Not that dangerous ? A place where you can't walk alone after dark.

If that's true, NYC appear a lot safer.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
Depends where in nyc. nyc is huge. if you walk into the wrong neighborhood and walk alone at night you could end up in a coffin easy.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Africaida ... looks like you're gonna need an "armed" guide to travel NYC. We finally have someone who can tell us just how dangerous it is there ..... :cheeky:

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
nyc is huge but the ghettos in nyc are full of guns, drugs, murders, robbers, homicides, gangs. far more crime than santo domingo. east brooklyn, wow shootouts all night. thr bronx warzones, parts of harlem even washington heights, nyc has some serious crime that can easily rival anywhere but it also has safe place sin manhattan and staten island. it all depends where you go.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
they need to be. they are far up a few notches but they are overwhelmed. there ar efar more drugs and crimes to stop in nyc. they are also racist andhave a system set up to arrest blacks and latinos. they do not car emuch about the black and latino ghettos in nyc.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
nyc is huge but the ghettos in nyc are full of guns, drugs, murders, robbers, homicides, gangs. far more crime than santo domingo. east brooklyn, wow shootouts all night. thr bronx warzones, parts of harlem even washington heights, nyc has some serious crime that can easily rival anywhere but it also has safe place sin manhattan and staten island. it all depends where you go.

Sounds like there are few or NO good people in THOSE areas. Correct? How would someone know where those areas are ... or even recognize that they are in one of those areas? What can one do to protect oneself while in one of those areas? Maybe the same thing applies to the focus of this thread??? (Just to keep this DR related ...)

they need to be. they are far up a few notches but they are overwhelmed. there ar efar more drugs and crimes to stop in nyc. they are also racist andhave a system set up to arrest blacks and latinos. they do not car emuch about the black and latino ghettos in nyc.

So ... who do people call for help? Sounds like people are left on their own ... is that what you're saying?

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Interesting thread that you started. You may want to consider that among the group here we have:

--- People who live in, and are from, Santo Domingo
--- people who have traveled and lived in some of the more dangerous places in the world
--- people who are from (and are still living in) NYC and surrounding areas (as well as many other places)
--- members of NYC law enforcement (who may have some expertise and understanding about that city)
--- people from all/various walks of life (use your imagination on that one)

In post #26, you listed some US cities. One of them is, in fact, my hometown. I am very familiar with travel through (and living in) most of THOSE areas. Been doing it for many many years. Still do ... I have relatives there.

You may not yet know who is who here. Don't assume. There are a lot of resources here. Resources who might help you understand your topic. But that will depend on whether you are asking a question ... or making some statement. Something that I'd really like to know.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Interesting thread that you started. You may want to consider that among the group here we have:

--- people who have traveled and lived in some of the more dangerous places in the world
--- people who are from (and are still living in) NYC and surrounding areas (as well as many other places)
--- members of NYC law enforcement (who may have some expertise and understanding about that city)

In post #26, you listed some US cities. One of them is, in fact, my hometown. I am very familiar with travel through (and living in) most of THOSE areas. Been doing it for many many years. Still do ... I have relatives there.

You may not yet know who is who here. Don't assume. There are a lot of resources here. Resources who might help you understand your topic. But that will depend on whether you are asking a question ... or making some statement. Something that I'd really like to know.

I agree.

And, of course, like some others, I had to go back and look at post #26 again, to play the guessing game :)

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
I agree.

And, of course, like some others, I had to go back and look at post #26 again, to play the guessing game :)

Weeeeell ... If ya really wanna know ..... it's Newark, NJ. ;)

Just across the river from NYC (one of my "familiar" playgrounds).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Weeeeell ... If ya really wanna know ..... it's Newark, NJ. ;)

Just across the river from NYC (one of my "familiar" playgrounds).

Newark has seen a lot of changes over the last century. Lots of Italians in Ironbound section 'back in the day'. Ballantine Beer. The riots when I was a kid. Still lots of Portuguese, no??

And one of the most famous mayors in the country, Cory Booker, who ran into a blazing fire a bit over a week ago, to save a neighbor lady. Impressive guy, I think we'll hear more from him in the future.

I was born just across that river, on East 19th Street, but I've been a Jersey girl since 1980.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Newark has seen a lot of changes over the last century. Lots of Italians in Ironbound section 'back in the day'. Ballantine Beer. The riots when I was a kid. Still lots of Portuguese, no??

And one of the most famous mayors in the country, Cory Booker, who ran into a blazing fire a bit over a week ago, to save a neighbor lady. Impressive guy, I think we'll hear more from him in the future.

I was born just across that river, on East 19th Street, but I've been a Jersey girl since 1980.

Ah yes ....The Ironbound still has some "incredible" Portuguese food!

The riots were going on just as I came home on leave from Marine Corp boot camp. And I agree about Booker.

Ever heard of "Taylor Ham" ?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

Ok,, I live in Santo Domingo.. and I have for the last five years

I have NEVER felt afraid here

Now. granted. I am a single woman, a journalist, who does not go out to bars and discos

I live in what I consider the very upscale neighborhood of Gazcue

I work from home and do not have to go out except to scheduled appointments to chase down stories.. but most of my work now is internet based.

I can afford to take a cab six times a week if I have to...

And

I was born and raised in NYC.. which gives me an edge.. in the same way that riding the A train will...

Now I live in SD a whole lot safer and smarter than I could ever afford to live in NYC

Heck, i have not been able to afford to live in NYC since the 80s

Should I want to venture out at night here in the hood, I have two top notch tourist hotels nearby.. the Melia and the Jaragua.

The place is crawling with Politur and other cops..

So I, for one, do not live in fear here in SD

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Depends where in nyc. nyc is huge. if you walk into the wrong neighborhood and walk alone at night you could end up in a coffin easy.

I don't know about that!!!!

The city is not that rough compared to a couple of decades ago!!!!