SANTO DOMINGO vs SANTIAGO

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
WOW!!!!! I had no idea. Man, that is unreal.

I know one thing, traffic is going to be an absolute nightmare there. the majority of the streets are not very wide.
Well if have to cross one of the bridges to get to D.N. every morning to get to your work and living in SDE, than it doesn't matter where exactly you live in SDE, it's every day the same chaos on the main streets. In Alma Rosa itself there is no big traffic, many streets go outside there. Now when you don't have to cross to the D.N. every day like me,than the traffic is not any problem. We have all stores now between 2 miles on San Isidro and coming more like Almacenes Unidos,so no need to go to the D.N. for any purchases. What I miss is another nice Mall here with an modern Cinema, Coral Mall is old,only Megacentro is avaible nearby.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There was once a new mall that was suppose to be buikt by sone Central Americans. It was going to be near Las Américas Highway and Charles de Gaulle Avenue. I wonder what happen to that…

Megacentro is old. I remember when they sent me a package with all the info on the mall, plans of the place, etc. Back then it was new. The first Dominican mall designed by a US firm, I think it was from Miami. Hence it has things like large anchor stores, something not common in Dominican malls, and a layout that is typical if USA malls.

Reactions: cavok

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
There was once a new mall that was suppose to be buikt by sone Central Americans. It was going to be near Las Américas Highway and Charles de Gaulle Avenue. I wonder what happen to that…

Megacentro is old. I remember when they sent me a package with all the info on the mall, plans of the place, etc. Back then it was new. The first Dominican mall designed by a US firm, I think it was from Miami. Hence it has things like large anchor stores, something not common in Dominican malls, and a layout that is typical if USA malls.
The whole area is abandoned. No news of that whole area to be developed nearby in the future.

About Megacentro, owned by Grupo CCN (Jumbo, Agora Mall) was the first attemp to compete with Sirena's concept of Multicentros.

At the end, 22 years later it paid off for them.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I can't believe I'm reading Megacentro and Coral Mall are "Old"

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I can't believe I'm reading Megacentro and Coral Mall are "Old"
Coral “Mall” ever since Bravo left, that place hasn’t been the same. The owners of that place, who I think are the Corripio, should knock it down and build a mixed project of a new nice looking mall at the bottom with indoor parking and office/residential towers on top.

When it comes to malls, it doesn’t takes long to consider them old. Look at the USA, the capital of malls in the world. There have been malls that were built in the 1980’s and 1990’s that now are outdated malls that look like fortresses and they are either dying or dead. Some of these malls have been earmarked to be destroyed to put something nicer and more useful in its place. Check what happen to the Galleria Mall in White Plains, NY. In 1980’s it was the newest and shiniest thing around and highly successful. Now it will be knocked down, the very successful place became a ghost shell of itself and it wasn’t even half of a century old.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
lol, for me it is sitting on my balcony sipping locally grown coffee and watching the sun play with the shadows on the mountains and listening to the birds in the mahogany tree behind my house. I can be swimming in a clean pool in the river in 15 minutes from my house.
This is your Mona Lisa, bob!

Nov 9, 2023
SC
Still empty. But potentially a good location so I think other developers would really want that lot. We have an apartment right across Charles de Gaulle in that exact corner. It is a relatively safe, clean and quiet part of Los Frailes SDE. The killer is the route from SDE to San Cristobal through the center or malecon. It appears the congestion areas expand more and more every year.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I typically refer to the DN when I refer to "the Capital". Santo Domingo Este is a whole other animal.
Well, the real “La Capital” is the DN, that’s the capital of the country. Just don’t have a discussion about with with people that live in the SD Metro Area but outside the DN. Just don’t. They will say they are Capitaleños before, during, and after your discussion.

That’s an issue to be resolved because those that live in the SD Metro Area but outside the DN don’t have proper demonyms, but Dominican politicians leave that can of worms undisturbed. When Santo Domingo city got its demonym, the issue was taken to Spain and I think in the end the Pope was the one that decided they will be called Capitaleños. The issue was that the demonym for Santo Domingo is Dominicano, but that was already used to refer to people of the Spanish part of the island similarly how Peruvians were called that during the entire colonial period, same with Chileans, Puerto Ricans, etc. Also similarly how in Spain all the natives are Spaniards, but those from the Canarias region are Canarios, Andalucia region are Andaluces, Cataluña are Catalanes, etc. The other issue is that Capitalino is used for residents in any capital city and thus, those from Santo Domingo city were too Capitalinos as the ones in Bogotá, San Juan, Mexico City, Lima, etc. It was decided the demonym for residents of Santo Domingo city is Capitaleños and they are the only people with that demonym in the world. It was resolved until the Distrito Nacional was split in 2001 or 2002. Technically, everone outside of the DN don’t have a demonym, not at the municipal level and not at the provincil level. Dominicans has been taken since the 1600’s at the very least!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Still empty. But potentially a good location so I think other developers would really want that lot. We have an apartment right across Charles de Gaulle in that exact corner. It is a relatively safe, clean and quiet part of Los Frailes SDE. The killer is the route from SDE to San Cristobal through the center or malecon. It appears the congestion areas expand more and more every year.

I still remember when I was trying to buy a few lots there. When I told the agent who was showing it to me that I wanted to build a house there, she told me that was a bad idea.
Back then, it was just a field, but she explained to me that it wasn't going to be houses that would be built there, but apartment towers.
She succeeded in changing my mind, and in hindsight 20/20, she was absolutely right.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Why would you move to a Caribbean island and live in a big city with crazy traffic and no beach?!?
Agreed. I hate Santo Domingo, but merely don't care for Santiato.
- Cleanest (big) city in the whole island and compared to other cities
- Mountain view all 360
- Clean air
- 30-45 minutes to all river spots: Amina, Inoa, Tavera, Sajoma, Jarabacoa, Jacagua, Salcedo, Puerto Plata rivers
- 45-1hr minutes to the beach (either Moncion, Sosua or Cabarete via Moca)
- Much better work/life balance compared to SDQ (depending the neighborhood you can drive/walk to work without long commuting times)
- Santiagueros (and cibaeños in general), compared from people in SDQ have a slow pace of doing things: sundays are sacred, prioritize family meetings
- And for almost 3/4 of the island you literally don't have to pay tolls to go from STI to the rest of destinations in DR, lol
Where are you exactly are you in Santiago that you can get to Cabarete (or Sosua) beach in 1 hour?
I need to know that route (which does not yet exist without the Amber Highway).

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Where are you exactly are you in Santiago that you can get to Cabarete (or Sosua) beach in 1 hour?
Takes me, normally, about 2 hours from Jarabacoa to the POP airport.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
In the US , Frank12 is disassembling shopping malls which are going the way of the Dodo bird. How long before the DR is the same?
I miss him.

I promised him Guylian Belgian Chocolate, but he moved to the States before I had a chance to deliver.
I thought he was driving 18-wheelers across the Great United States of Texas

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I miss him.

I promised him Guylian Belgian Chocolate, but he moved to the States before I had a chance to deliver.
I thought he was driving 18-wheelers across the Great United States of Texas
The chocolate you can just drop off to me in Cabarete. Then I will tell Frank how he is remembered after I eat it! :giggle:

• Haha
Reactions: Lucifer

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In the US , Frank12 is disassembling shopping malls which are going the way of the Dodo bird. How long before the DR is the same?
When online shopping becomes more popular…The DR has a long way to go on that front.

The US is also an older country, average age I think is into the 40’s for a national average, in many areas the average age has to be higher. It’s like education. People with university degrees don’t make up 30% of the pupolation, but in many areas around NYC more thsn half of the people have at least one university degree.

The DR is very young, I think not even 30 years old on average.

As people get older, going out becomes less important.

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros

DR25 my friend. If you're good with curves on the road and without speeding, you arrive from Gurabo to Gran Parada in 1 hour.