SD Metro - Now we know where the money is coming from!

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Bilijou,

If you wish to read up on the metro within the DR then I suggest you look here and at a post by me here in the same thread.

Rick

Edited to add this link which I tried to do in the aforementioned thread but was unable to at the time.

Last edited:

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Yes, no, and maybe.

Will it be 100% funded?....Yes.

Will phase #1 be 100% eventually finished?....Yes.

Be functional. (operational)?....Yes.

Run on schedule? surprisingly, Yes.

Be a money pit?.....Yes.

Make some people very rich? (graft)....Yes.

Will we pay through the nose for years to come?...Yes.

Relieve traffic congestion?...No.

Be prone to breakdowns?....Yes.

Be proud of?.....Yes

Be used by poor people?....Maybe.

Crime ridden?.....Maybe.

Used by Hipocrito Mejia as prime mode of transport?....No.

By Nals?......Yes.

Any more predictions?......:paranoid:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
MerengueDutchie said:
Nals,

3. The project will only benefit a very, very small proportion of the countries population, while being funded by the entire population.
Very very small proportion of the population?

Since when is a third of the nation's population a "very very small" proportion? And this is without taking into account the fact that the city is still growing quite fast.

And the entire population will not be funding this project, in order for that to happen EVERYBODY would need to pay taxes. MOST people in the DR hardly pay any taxes, except for sales tax on non-essential items (ie. non-basic food, etc).

I could go on, but I just arrive from a three-day business/leasure trip to DC and quite frankly, I'm tired.

-NALs

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Nal's I can guarantee you that the ridership of the metro, when and if it becomes operational, will be no more then 7% of the population of SD if that high. I am pretty sure it will be much less.

I think you had better look at the items that are taxed here. From your statement you are unaware of what is being taxed in the colmados here in the country I live in.

Which means that a small proportion of the population of the whole country and/or a small proportion of the population of Santo Domingo will benefit from this exercise in pocket lining and because of the tax structure the whole country will be paying for this public service which as such should be available to everyone. Oh yes stupid me, I can pay over RD$100 a pop each way to travel to SD so that I can have the opportunity to ride this boondoggle and maybe get caught underground when the electricity fails and listen to the people as they scream out ¡¡dejame!!, ¡¡dejame!! as we are passing through a tunnel.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
NALs said:
Very very small proportion of the population?

Since when is a third of the nation's population a "very very small" proportion? And this is without taking into account the fact that the city is still growing quite fast.

And the entire population will not be funding this project, in order for that to happen EVERYBODY would need to pay taxes. MOST people in the DR hardly pay any taxes, except for sales tax on non-essential items (ie. non-basic food, etc).

I could go on, but I just arrive from a three-day business/leasure trip to DC and quite frankly, I'm tired.

-NALs

As always I love you reasoning.. for those new to the board here's Nals strategy:

1) He looks through you post, ignoring any valid argumentation
2) Then he takes a miniscule part of the post to which he can find some objections, usually wrong anyway
3) He makes an excuse to not answer the rest of the post, by stating some important trip/activity, thus boosting his own importance over you and giving creedance to the fact he cannot refute your logic.

Well I've put up with this crap long enough but no longer!

You are a dubious dilletante on the debate, a self-inflated wannabee and I doubt you ever go on any of those important trips, esp since the time we all caught you redhanded describing Nairobi in Africa by copying part of a tour-guide and telling everyone that was your own observation from your trip there...

Moreover, I have met many, many Dominicans in good standing and they have never, ever hinted about their self-importance to me.. so your behaviour runs totally contrary to my own observation in the Dr and other countries of how people in good standing behave..

Please enjoy your time in your room and watch out that mommy doesn't catch you playing with the computer again..

Oh and for the record.. a third of the population is not going to travel the Metro line since it covers only a small stretch N-S in Santo Domingo.. and yes the entire country is going to pay for it, either directly (through taxation) or indirectly because healthcare and education will not be provided to them.. but I never really expected you to understand that in the first place..

Jan 5, 2006
MerengueDutchie said:
... a third of the population is not going to travel the Metro line since it covers only a small stretch N-S in Santo Domingo.. and yes the entire country is going to pay for it, either directly (through taxation) or indirectly because healthcare and education will not be provided to them...
Thank you! That about sums it up! :glasses:

The only thing missing from the above is that this will be a source of major theft of the people's funds for those in power, and even NALs admits to that! :p:p:p

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
And Here I Thought That "Nals" Was "SUPPOSEDLY"

An American educated "ECONOMIST"!!!????????????????????
If "THAT" were true,he would certainly know that "THE POOR" pay more "TAXES" than the "RICH"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In the "DR" they may not pay "Income Tax" but they sure as hell pay lots of taxes!!!!!!!! How about 20 % on telephone calls!How about 13% "ITBIS" on just about anything they buy!! Since most "POOR" are also "DRUNKS",how about taxes on beer and rum,and "Wiki"??? How about import duties,and "Combustible"???(gasoline,propane,diesel)
Get your money back from "U-Conn" Naaaaaals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!They cheated you!!!

cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Rick Snyder said:
Nal's I can guarantee you that the ridership of the metro, when and if it becomes operational, will be no more then 7% of the population of SD if that high. I am pretty sure it will be much less.
The first line, perhaps. The entire system? I doubt it.

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
MerengueDutchie said:
As always I love you reasoning.. for those new to the board here's Nals strategy:

1) He looks through you post, ignoring any valid argumentation
2) Then he takes a miniscule part of the post to which he can find some objections, usually wrong anyway
3) He makes an excuse to not answer the rest of the post, by stating some important trip/activity, thus boosting his own importance over you and giving creedance to the fact he cannot refute your logic...
I never said it was important, I simply told you why I was not inclined to further debate the issue as I normally would have done.

As it has been clearly seen, I could type an entire web page worth of information and explanations of what I think of this project and any other type of project being planned and/or built in the DR.

And surprise surprise, despite all this "talk", the tunnels are being built, the rails are being laid, the trains are being bought, and the project is going ahead, regardless who likes it or not!

MerengueDutchie said:
You are a dubious dilletante on the debate, a self-inflated wannabee and I doubt you ever go on any of those important trips, esp since the time we all caught you redhanded describing Nairobi in Africa by copying part of a tour-guide and telling everyone that was your own observation from your trip there...
Care to give the title of this so called "tour-guide"? I would love to see such book with the supposed word for word plagiarism!

MerengueDutchie said:
Oh and for the record.. a third of the population is not going to travel the Metro line since it covers only a small stretch N-S in Santo Domingo.. and yes the entire country is going to pay for it, either directly (through taxation) or indirectly because healthcare and education will not be provided to them.. but I never really expected you to understand that in the first place
The record is that the small stretch you are describing is only A PART of the entire system.

The other two lines will cover a East-West direction along the Kennedy and 27 de Febrero avenues, thus covering some of the heaviest traffic routes in the entire city and country for that matter!

The the majority of the population of Santo Domingo who depend on public transport will not use the N-S line is true, but the entire system will benefit quite a number because most of the system will flow East-West rather than North-South!

Of all the lines, the cheapest and shortest is the North-South, which explains why it was the first line to be built, presented to the public, and being used to secure the funds!

Once that first line is in operation, it's suppose to increase support for the further expansion of the metro. Thus, the first line will function as planned in order to generate support for the rest of the metro project, and benefit even more of the people who use public transport for their daily activities within the city.

That you chose to simply focus on the initial line being built to make your case is rather odd of a person who usually, makes good arguments. You very well know that the metro consist more than what is currently being built.

For everything else you have said, I'll accept it as you letting out some steam. Much of the response you created hardly responded to what I was saying in my response to you.

-NALs

What was that old saying? Oh yes, "everything has a purpose, absolutely everything and it's not always apparent at face value".:surprised

Or maybe it was "There are things that matter and things that don't matter. If you can keep people focused on the things that don't matter, you can control those that matter without constraints".

Think about both of these, it should be quite revealing as to the purpose of the most recent posts and involvement in this thread vs any other potential "hot" topic that could hurt the image of the DR. In fact, it says quite alot and explains plenty of why I have decided to act the way I do on this board.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Criss Colon said:
An American educated "ECONOMIST"!!!????????????????????
If "THAT" were true,he would certainly know that "THE POOR" pay more "TAXES" than the "RICH"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In the "DR" they may not pay "Income Tax" but they sure as hell pay lots of taxes!!!!!!!! How about 20 % on telephone calls!How about 13% "ITBIS" on just about anything they buy!! Since most "POOR" are also "DRUNKS",how about taxes on beer and rum,and "Wiki"??? How about import duties,and "Combustible"???(gasoline,propane,diesel)
Get your money back from "U-Conn" Naaaaaals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!They cheated you!!!

cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
I suppose you really care about the poor?

Especially poverty stricken girls who are easy to rape (let's face it, any time a person needs to coerce a young woman to do sexual favors that she would otherwise not do on an ugly old white man, it can be consider rape of some sort).

When was the last time a señorita approached you for "favors" without pay?

My, you just care so much about the poor that I think I envy you!

Oh wait, I don't have to pay! LOL!

-NALs;)

Last edited:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Nal's I wish you to note what I am about to say for reference 15 years down the road.

"When and if the metro ever gets finished and that includes the first line and if there are more then all the lines combined in Santo Domingo will never see more then a 3.7% ridership by Dominicans and Haitians combined on a daily basis. That number will drop to 1.1% if the price to ride the Metro is above 30pesos".

And you can take that to the bank.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
According to Saturday's Diario Libre A.M. editorial, there seems to be a major preocupation that a lot of the financing will come from all those billions in the National Pension Plan AFP. That should scare the bejesus out of any person contributing to the plan....
Oh well, I'm too old to worry about that.!

HB :(:(

Jan 5, 2006
Again, for anyone who doesn't seem to get it; the questions are:

How much money will the government spend to build the metro? (hint, hint: nobody knows!)

How can anyone realistically expect it to stay up and runnning, when it depends on electricity? I don't care that they're building a power generating plant specifically for it, because we all know how efficient this country has been at producing and delivering electricity. The results are there and nobody can dispute them!

When does the government anticipate to stop dumping funds into this money pit? (hint, hint: it would never happen) There are subway systems with millions of daily riders, who pay a substantially higher fee than what would be charged in DR, in countries with cheaper energy rates and way less corruption (we know for a fact that whoever runs this thing will be stealing left and right), and they still need government subsidies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Rick Snyder said:
Nal's I wish you to note what I am about to say for reference 15 years down the road.

"When and if the metro ever gets finished and that includes the first line and if there are more then all the lines combined in Santo Domingo will never see more then a 3.7% ridership by Dominicans and Haitians combined on a daily basis. That number will drop to 1.1% if the price to ride the Metro is above 30pesos".

And you can take that to the bank.
What methodology is being used to conclude on such percentages?

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Hillbilly said:
According to Saturday's Diario Libre A.M. editorial, there seems to be a major preocupation that a lot of the financing will come from all those billions in the National Pension Plan AFP. That should scare the bejesus out of any person contributing to the plan....

It's a preoccupation, thus worry a little but don't worry as if its final.

In other words, people are only speculating that such financing could come from the AFP, but not one of them has evidence that that will be the case.

Although it's possible, but then again all things are possible BEFORE they are done!

-NALs

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Hillbilly said:

Set-up Industry Wide Pension plans, without government involvement.. but we discussed why this is not likely to happen soon..

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Nal's I'm not going to argue my point with you. I told you to mark my words!!! Nuff said.

I will state that the Metro is a boondoggle without an explanation!!! Mark my words.