SDQ Airport Taxis

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
From my experience using Uber you need a data connection up until the point you enter the Uber vehicle. If a traveler uses free Wi-Fi inside the airport to order Uber once outside all communication is lost. Driver pulls up twenty feet from where you are with no way to contact you it just won't work.

I have had a few occasions where the vehicle was switched after I placed the order. If this happens and you are outside waiting with no data connection how would you know?

I still say if you don't have your own data connection upon arrival forget Uber and use the airport reserve online taxis. Less than a ten buck savings to SD Centro sure isn't worth it (at least to me it isn't).

I agree for the most part but hate the airport taxi guys. I don't even reply when they yell taxi, taxi taxi taxi in my face 87 times from the door to the curb.
On my last arrival I almost had to use them as my orange 4G wifi access point that I charged in miami was dead as doornail once at SDQ. I ordered uber and then could connect for maybe 10 seconds every time I re powered up the modem. It would be a comedy if not for it being 2am and a 14 hour travel day. I was about to give up and head downstairs to deal with taxi mafia, when up pulled a toyota sienna with a nice driver who took me home while driving sanely in a nice car.

I feel the same about apollo and the other companies now adding apps. Too little too late. For 15 years they have given horrible service, overcharged me and had mostly crappy cars? NOW, they want to improve? No thanks. Apollo's app doesn't work in Orlando, Miami, Costa Rica, barranquilla, cartagena and bogota all of which I used uber in in last month.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I agree for the most part but hate the airport taxi guys. I don't even reply when they yell taxi, taxi taxi taxi in my face 87 times from the door to the curb....................

I definitely agree with you. For the seasoned traveler Uber is the way to go but for tourists using the taxi mafia by booking in advance online is the best solution (IMO).

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I agree for the most part but hate the airport taxi guys. I don't even reply when they yell taxi, taxi taxi taxi in my face 87 times from the door to the curb.
On my last arrival I almost had to use them as my orange 4G wifi access point that I charged in miami was dead as doornail once at SDQ. I ordered uber and then could connect for maybe 10 seconds every time I re powered up the modem. It would be a comedy if not for it being 2am and a 14 hour travel day. I was about to give up and head downstairs to deal with taxi mafia, when up pulled a toyota sienna with a nice driver who took me home while driving sanely in a nice car.

I feel the same about apollo and the other companies now adding apps. Too little too late. For 15 years they have given horrible service, overcharged me and had mostly crappy cars? NOW, they want to improve? No thanks. Apollo's app doesn't work in Orlando, Miami, Costa Rica, barranquilla, cartagena and bogota all of which I used uber in in last month.
Las Americas at 2am? I know many taxi drivers that won't make that trip. Not even if the electric bill is due the next day.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Las Americas at 2am? I know many taxi drivers that won't make that trip. Not even if the electric bill is due the next day.

Actually I got home about 2am so probably more like 1:15 or so. There a ton of taxistas waiting for the plane. I was worried they would leave after the whole plane had left and my uber wouldn't show. He did.

Aug 6, 2006
My phone works fine in Miami, but when I get to SDQ, there is no signal. So what do I need to do to use Uber when I get to SDQ?

My experience is that when I get to SDQ,I go upstairs and ask o0ne o0f thew guys in the yellow shirts and they charge me between $1000 and 1200 DOP to take me to the Caribetours station at 27 de Febrero and Leopoldo Navarro. That is about $21 to $26 USD.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Big bird, thanks for posting.

I used Sichala THIS MORNING @4:30 am froom SDQ to Bani. I did everything online and they sent me a quote which matches what's on their website. 24 hours before arrival, they emailed me a photo of the taxi driver with all of his info. upon arrival @SDQ, same Taxi Driver was waiting for me with a placard with my name on it. Very professional and secure. It was a long drive and he drove safely. When I arrived @Bani, he would not let me out until my wife came downstairs because he said it's not safe at that hour on the streets. Trip cost $100 and I gave him a $20 tip. I would highly recommend them based on my experience.

I took one for the team and experienced the exact same professionalism from the taxi mafia as cbmitch9. Since Uber started at SDQ airport I have always used Uber. For the additional $8 USD (trip to SD Centro) I tried booking an airport taxi online in advance. You can pay with a CC or PayPal in advance or cash at the end of your ride. It was great not having to haggle with the yellow shirt driver on a price. Just before you exit the airport there will be "your" driver waiting with a name card. I say "your" driver because the day before you receive an email with the name of the driver and a photo of the driver.

All in all I would say the few extra US dollars it might be worth using the airport taxi especially if you have a few large pieces of luggage or will not be sure if you can get a data connection. No need to haul your luggage to departure level, connect with Uber, wait and identify Uber when they arrive. I really like the new service although I would probably stick with Uber as I am usually not in a rush.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I just find it hard to believe that anyone thinks that when you land after a long flight, standing in line for immigration, then the stress of wondering if they have lost your bag, then customs, often in a different time-zone, with all your valuables and your money with you, all this in a different language to your own, this would be a great moment to try and economise.

I also agree with Bigbird, tourists (sensibly) want safe. What would be a smart move is if the syndicate agreed to pay hotels a commission if they fed bookings to their site as most tourists book a hotel, and the hotel usually promotes their airport pick-up.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
I just find it hard to believe that anyone thinks that when you land after a long flight, standing in line for immigration, then the stress of wondering if they have lost your bag, then customs, often in a different time-zone, with all your valuables and your money with you, all this in a different language to your own, this would be a great moment to try and economise.

None of this applies to me

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The rate always was $33.00. They tell you $45.00 in an attempt to gouge you.

Anyway you can prove what you say? Maybe an old photo of posted rates?

I was always told $40 and could get $35 on arrival level with no questions asked. After a flight, excited to be back in la rep dom I surely don't worry about the fact Mcinbrass can get the same cab for $2.75 USD.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Anyway you can prove what you say? Maybe an old photo of posted rates?

I was always told $40 and could get $35 on arrival level with no questions asked. After a flight, excited to be back in la rep dom I surely don't worry about the fact Mcinbrass can get the same cab for $2.75 USD.

Anyone could easily negotiate a rate of $33.00 to the center of Town. I can get it for $20.00. not $2,75. no need to overexaggerate. $20.00 is a fair price.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Anyone could easily negotiate a rate of $33.00 to the center of Town. I can get it for $20.00. not $2,75. no need to overexaggerate. $20.00 is a fair price.

You could make a darn good living being a taxi negotiator. Charge a tourist a $10 fee and negotiate for them to get a taxi at your rate of $20. Mcinbrass you could easily make $100 an hour all tax free. You missed your calling in life. just sayin'

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
You could make a darn good living being a taxi negotiator. Charge a tourist a $10 fee and negotiate for them to get a taxi at your rate of $20. Mcinbrass you could easily make $100 an hour all tax free. You missed your calling in life. just sayin'

I am talented I know, but being a tout is not my calling.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
This is some of the most ridiculous stuff ive ever read on DR1. Its like some of you have agendas. There is no way a tourist wants to pay a tourist price. Please! Uber is everywhere and tourists use it everywhere. I mean SDQ is small and you guys are making it seem like you have to push your bags across JFK or something. As for data, everyone I know who has American cellphone services automatically switches to a DR carrier when they land. I can only speak of tmobile but my data is free. Something is fishy about this thread. It stinks

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Not sure how it goes at SDQ because I have not come in through there recently.
but at STI, the BEST Rates are obtained by CALLING for your Taxi . Find a Company you Like, and call them when you got your bags..Keep their business card in your Wallet .
Confirm the Rate, which you will tell them you paid last time...
done and done.

My other favorite trick used to be to chat up a Taxi who just dropped someone OFF (walk to that end like you expecting someone to come for you) and for a quick easy turnaround fare he WILL gladly drop his prices drastically,. Pretend you are old Friends .. its works 100% of the time, but you do need to know the RATES of course .
Negotiating with the Taxi mafia at any Airport Taxi Stand is a Newbie Suckers game , all you will get is frustrated .

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
This is some of the most ridiculous stuff ive ever read on DR1. Its like some of you have agendas. There is no way a tourist wants to pay a tourist price. Please! Uber is everywhere and tourists use it everywhere. I mean SDQ is small and you guys are making it seem like you have to push your bags across JFK or something. As for data, everyone I know who has American cellphone services automatically switches to a DR carrier when they land. I can only speak of tmobile but my data is free. Something is fishy about this thread. It stinks

Nothing fishy here alexw, just an option for travelers. I don't know the rate for roaming data use if a tourist phone automatically switches to a DR carrier. Let's say $3 for time needed to contact Uber (just guessing). The online taxi mafia rate is only $8 more than what I have been paying Uber. So let's assume a $5 savings after you pay for the data connection. $5 sure isn't much to spend when you consider having your luggage handled at the end of celebrity runway and whisked away compared to going upstairs and waiting for Uber. (trips to SD Centro)

I used the taxi online service my last flight into SDQ and will reconsider it in the future, all depending on my mood. Actually I kind of liked the feeling of letting loose of the luggage cart handle steps before exiting the airport. Less than one minute later inside an A/C taxi and on my way.

Now once I am in town and situated I use Uber exclusively.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

My cell carrier in USA is AT&T, absolutely positively NOT free data roaming internationally. What I'd save using Uber would be eaten up by those fees, and then some.

I happen to have a DR phone too, but the average tourist does not.