Sending Dominican Troops to Iraq . . . . . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Don't be too amazed . . . . .

I'm Amazed!
We've managed to get this far without bashing one another to pieces - We're actually discussing this thing quite reasonably, gving our own personal perspectives - and no 'nationalistic fervor'! A new and good experience for me on the DR1 Board! Must be we're growing up -Criss

But, wait, I have not said anything yet . . . . . :)

As a yellow bellied, neo-LIBERAL mouth piece for the non-thinking Neadethal like regressive left, boardering on psydo-communist and never actually getting . . . . to the . . . point , I have to say this.

:)

I'd hate to see opinion swayed in the DR on how to treat the war due to the loss of life of DR soldiers. Iraq is a war zone, and it is important to know who you allies are and if actions of your allies in occupation contribute to the loss of life and anger of the general populace. I guess what also must be said is that it is important to know who your enemy is too. Do all of you believe this fight is being perpetrated by Sadam loyalist? . . . and what if you are wrong? what then ?

-Lee

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Re: Don't be too amazed . . . . .

ltsnyder said:

I guess what also must be said is that it is important to know who your enemy is too. Do all of you believe this fight is being perpetrated by Sadam loyalist? . . . and what if you are wrong? what then ?
-Lee

Who if not Saddam loyalists or Al Qaida cells would you suggest is fighting the occupation forces?
I would think it is they who have the guns and the knowledge to prepare makeshift bombs and have enough knowledge on tactics to ambush the Brits and americans.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Sending Dominican Troops to Iraq..........

Lee and samian(?)

I don't think your last question is germane to the subject.

We're not speaking to the issue of Saddam loyalists here.

I broke the thread (and wish I hadn't) with my comments.

At issue is the problems faced by the Dominican troops in a society completely alien to them and are they properly trained/indoctrinated to deal with the situation.

If they completely understood the training/indoctrination they received at the hands of the Spanish instructors they should fare reasonably well since their role is one of a non-combative nature. It will be incumbent upon them to assure that they don't step over the lines of conduct required of them.

That they will be at risk and in harm''s way is indegenous to their role as a military unit in a peacekeeping situation.
We can only hope and pray that they won't become the targets of terrorist activities so prominent in the area now.

Only the future will demonstrate the degree of activity facing all of the troops in country.

As to the reasons for their being sent, that has been expressed already and I won't go there again...

At debate is the element of their safety and dedication to the role(s) assigned.
I think they will perform very well. If problems arise over their preparedness to accomplish that(those) roles, I.m certain the country commander will address that equation in due time and appropriately. That is his responsibility and what he is trained to do.

Texas Bill

Last edited:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Does anybody else besides me think that the DR troops in Traq are there for another reason?
Perhaps as a traing for another international operation that is of major importance to the DR?

Haiti?

Things are going to happen soon between the US and Haiti. Think Panama. The US may just inlist the DR in an International PeaceKeeping force there. So wouldn't it be in the US and the DR's best intrests to have Dominican troops trained in Peacekeeping and policing? Not to mention the C-3 in integration between the 2 forces.
Oh Don't forget Venezuela!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
These Dominican Troops will do just fine!!!!

These are not the guys you see riding around Santo Domingo on moterbikes!In fact you hardly see these Troops at all! Sometimes they do demonstrations of their "skills",like helecopter assaults, deing dropped and extracted by ropeon "Armed Forces Day".This is the "Good Stuff",that is always well trained,equiped,paid,and held in reserve for "National" problems! CC

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Dog gone it Crisco!

You just ruined the mental image I had formed for the operation!

Remember the movie Mars Attacks? Near the end the kid discovers that playing his grandmothers yodeling music makes the martian's heads explode like microwaved green jelly inside the helmets?

That's how I thought the DR troops would ride to save the day in Iraq.

Anywhere the Quisqueyans encountered a mean Al-Qaeda or a dirty Baathist (pun intended) they'd haul out one of those advertising camionettas they'd appropriated from the streets of Sousa and replaced the ads for the disco, or the politician of the month, with Dominican bachata blasted at the evil-doers with enough decibels to make the goats cry and seek psychiatric assistance back in Jamao.

Immediately after either the evil doer's heads would explode, or they'd become so depressed they'd instantly sit down looking for the nearest domino table and bottle of Brugal.

Tom (aka XR)

Eureka! That's it! There's going to be part of the PsyOps teams!

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have seen personally what these soldiers look like who have gone to Iraq. They are some of the meanest looking dominican comandos i have seen in this country. Many of these guys were stationed in san jose de las matas military installation. These are young tough guys who look quite capable of taking on any task.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
How about this idea?????????

We send i million dominican families to live in Iraq! After they have been there for about 6 months,all the Iraqis will move out of the country! No more Iraq Problem!!!;)
cc

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Actually I was refering to . . . . . .

I think DR should be carefull in getting involved with wars they might not belong in. If this is not a war against Sadam Loyalist then we will have a real problem (as dominicans that is). Did every one look at the dominican americans speach in "Bring them home now".

"Bring Them Home Now" Press Conference (08/13/2003)

There is a serious question about why anyone out side of the UN should be there, and this goes for Dominicans too. Dominicans should not be working outside of the UN to keep the peace, it just does . . . . . (ok, maybe I should say (backing up a little))

Correction: Dominicans should not be working outside of an international organization dedicated to keeping the peace. Working for PAX USA is a mistake.

-Lee

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
You still never quite get to the point do you? Why is it a mistake? Why do Dominicans have anything less at stake here in the world than anyone else? Why is it that you believe the UN works for peace? The UN works for consensus. Is peace advanced by having Libya and Cuba heading the humans rights conferences of the UN? Was peace advanced by promoting Saddam Hussein and the Iranian governments as heads of the UN conference on WMD and disarmament?

Citing platitudes is not the same thing as making a rational case to others in support of your beliefs.

Shake your head, slap out the cobwebs, drink some Brugal 151, whatever it takes. Just spit out the rest of that nonsense somewhere else and learn to debate. I know it's hard when you haven't had to actually, oh, think about why you believe what's dribbling out of your mouth. But try. You haven't lost everyone just yet. But patience is wearing thin.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
XanaduRanch re-read my post . . . .

I did not edit it, I did not say exclusively the UN . . . .

I guess you think the US is best at deciding what is right, better than the UN or any other organization.

-Lee

CaribbeanGeorge

"Creature of Leisure"
Jan 3, 2002
www.fuentesdellago.com
Send more !!!!!

Let's start recruiting here !!!!!
All motoconchos, sankies, bums, gua guas chaufers, etc.
With their attitude and behavior they will weaken the Irak resistance in less than a month, so as creating big chaos.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Re: Sending Dominican Troops to Iraq..........

Texas Bill said:

At issue is the problems faced by the Dominican troops in a society completely alien to them and are they properly trained/indoctrinated to deal with the situation.

If they completely understood the training/indoctrination they received at the hands of the Spanish instructors they should fare reasonably well since their role is one of a non-combative nature. It will be incumbent upon them to assure that they don't step over the lines of conduct required of them.

Texas Bill

Texas Bill, (hey, isnt that from silence of the lambs? no,no,no sorry, that was buffalo bill!) :squareeye

As you pointed out, regardless that their role is of a non-combatant nature, their sole presence in uniform in that country makes them a potential target to the resistance, whether its Saddam or Al-Qaida sponsored-I agree its outside this topic.

These men are military, trained to function under tense and fierce circumstances some of them with previous experience from Kosovo and other training experiences in the US and elsewhere in South America and the Caribbean. I just hope, and that is about all we can do at this point, that their skills can save their skin if the situation arises where they have to fire their weapons. and where they are right now, thatsituation could arise anywhere at any moment.

What is important, what does matter here and what should be addressed is if we are prepared to loose a couple of boys in order to get some sort of favoritism from Mr. Assnar in Spain and George Doubbleya the US.

And favoritism here is a big word because I am not convinced that sending troops to Iraq helped us get the IMF loan or has helped us in the negotiating table for a potential trade agreement with the us.

:angry:

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
The news

Madrid.- El general espa?ol Ricado Mart?nez Isidoro, segundo jefe de la divisi?n multinacional en el centro-sur de Irak, a la que pertenecen las tropas espa?olas y las centroamericanas, admiti? hoy que "ya no hay zonas tranquilas" en el pa?s del Golfo.

From the CDN website today.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: XanaduRanch re-read my post . . . .

ltsnyder said:
. guess you think the US is best at deciding what is right, better than the UN or any other organization.

-Lee

Is this a trick question? Of course the US is best at deciding what is right for the US.

The DR would be much better served making its own decisions rather then taking the lead from the UN. Do you really want Zimbabwe having a say on what goes on with the DR? Or any other country for that matter?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Can anyone talk about what is this thing really about?

Moderator's note:

This post had absolutely no DR content. Any post below this that doesn't will be canned.

Typing is a lot of work, it isn't worth typing page-long post if it will be deleted. Save yourself the work. Back to the OP please...

Last edited by a moderator:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Perhaps these soldiers will learn, if they don't already realize, what a paradise they live in. After a few months of sand, no water, and incredibly hot temperature they will really appreciate the DR. Everyone knopw its just a token force, put in an area considered somewhat safe. Only time will tell if this small amount of troops accomplished anything. We can only hope they come home safe.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
What all deleted?

OOOOOHHHHHH PIB, I really hate you. I would really love to squeeze your head like a lemon.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
AZB, I wish you could PM all of us what you said.

so I could judge the value of the content myself.

One more note, the Dominican troops if I'm right have no body armor unlike US troops who all are equiped with full body armor.
So it's kind of like replaceing tin soldiers with meat puppets.

I pray the Republican Republic is doing the right thing, I hope no soldiers die.

AZB, I suspect what you wrote, was disliked by the moderator more than it was off topic, Facist attitudes crop up in the strangest places (even in lemons ;) ). Let's all pray for the DR troops :paranoid:.

-Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.