Seriously, What's going on in Santiago?

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Santiago almost doesn't have spots that I would consider walkable at night with any degree of comfort - and 16 de agosto is barely walkable at daytime in my opinion (too little foot traffic, too many tigueres). If it's more than a couple of blocks, just call a taxi guys.

I walk 16 de Agosto ALL the time in the daytime and would "almost" let me mother walk it in daytime. NEVER an issue or concern. Having said that, night time, a different story.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Is this really true that half the countries population is in Santo Domingo? A quick check on google say's about 1m with another 2m in the areas immediately surrounding SD.

Not looking for an argument just curious what is true.

No arguments wanted, nor needed, but some people are really quick to throw out BS numbers and information as if it is gospel....and it's wrong. I've done it before, and I'll do it again...Provide the basis for your facts and information...ie: facts/links/quotes. None of them can because it's BS. I provided factual information on another thread and it was erased by the Mods. Some people don't like the truth. I prefer to help people and give them honest answers. 10 years here I have, with both feet on the ground. No BS from me.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Again...

The thread title is "Seriously, What's going on in Santiago?"

I have walked in the centro numerous times during the day, but would hesitate to do so at night except perhaps Calle del sol. Based on the OP's post the link would hardly be a conclusive comparison due to the small numbers for both cities. I have never felt unsafe in my many trips to different areas of Santiago but I have avoided several areas based on advice from those in the know about the city.

Last edited by a moderator:

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Have some news for you my friend. "Real" criminals anywhere are not afraid of the police. Hence they are criminals. If they were concerned about the police or the justice they would change their vocation and not be criminals anymore.

Well yes, but here is some other news.  A criminal back home, if caught, will be thrown in a cage ( ie after lots of talking and squibbling ). And more often than not ( hell make that 90 % of the time ) you will be caught. And the criminal will loose his loot/money.

In the dr, you dont even have to be worried about being caught. Money will buy you the right connections. And assuming you end up having to do some time, money will buy you anything in a dr jail.

So me thinks the system encourages crime. ( as in real crime ).

I am less worried about a couple of guys hanging around a street corner who may, or may not, decided to try and rob me of my phone ( opportunity crime) than of gangs of hardened criminals who would scout out my home/buisness before acting. But thats just me.

Impunity makes for more criminals and a better class of criminals ( if u see what I mean ), at that.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
To: living in the Lower 9th Ward
Interesting. I live in the Marigny near Elysian Fields and the River in New Orleans.

I am retired, and after three or four DR visits, thinking of leasing a place on the North
Coast.
Can you you suggest a quiet livable area with a good number of expats that would my transition smoother.
Otherwise, I'm headed to Merida or San Miguel de Allende in a few months.
RSVP,

thanks
Ed

Once again (twice again???) There are certain areas in cities in the states that should absolutely be avoided HOWEVER here in the D.R. violence can find you anywhere. Obviously do all the smart things, use common sense, don't enter the wrong places at night and you minimize your exposure. The ONLY time I had a problem coming here 20 years and living here 10 is when I didn't follow my own advice.
I lived in 8 states in the U.S. and NEVER had one problem or even worried about it. I didn't venture to areas that I knew I would not be welcome.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I have walked in the centro numerous times during the day, but would hesitate to do so at night except perhaps Calle del sol.

I would not walk on Calle del Sol at night, last time I drove down there at night it was like a ghost town on Calle del Sol. Very eerie, deserted. Felt strange, even in the car driving up Calle del Sol at night

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Keep comments/posts DR related.
Non-DR/Off Topic comments/posts subject to deletion.

Well, I just received another warning in private from yet another Mod for responding to statements and answering questions. My friends, I will be backing out of this thread as well, until I speak to Robert. I bought a 2 week suspension in December for answering a question, and don't need, nor want another one by the overly sensitive Mods. This is becoming ridiculous. There were no Off Topic statements here. It was an ongoing conversation amongst adults. Please.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I've stayed at the Aloha Sol on Calle Sol twice recently. During the day, especially on the north side, the area was fine. Had dinner at Pizza Hut both times. Left around 9pm. I was real glad the hotel was right next door. No way I'd want to be walking on Calle Sol at night, much less 16 de Agosto.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I have walked in the centro numerous times during the day, but would hesitate to do so at night except perhaps Calle del sol. Based on the OP's post the link would hardly be a conclusive comparison due to the small numbers for both cities. I have never felt unsafe in my many trips to different areas of Santiago but I have avoided several areas based on advice from those in the know about the city.

Watch out Senor Saunders, they may put you in The Cone of Silence. Stay OT! LOL.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
santiago has high crime rate because it a second biggest city (after SD) and the third biggest province (after SD and DN). so yeah, more people means more crime.

Crime also seems higher in Santiago than in Santo Domingo.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Two boys knifed here in Jarabacoa on Friday, supposedly for accidentally spraying a little water on a guy.

I spent a weekend in Jarabacoa last year and I was surprised that my friends had no extra protection on windows or anything. It was a gated community though.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Crime also seems higher in Santiago than in Santo Domingo.

statistical data does not support this statement.
some statistics can be found here:
http://www.one.gob.do/Estadisticas/197/seguridad-y-convivencia

SD has a lot more homicides than santiago. other statistic regarding crime (robberies and assault) according to region only limit data to SD, cities with over 100,000 inhabitants, other cities, rural areas and it still shows SD alone has most cases of said crimes.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I spent a weekend in Jarabacoa last year and I was surprised that my friends had no extra protection on windows or anything. It was a gated community though.

Many people in town do not have much protection, other than a fence. We have no razor wire at our schools like the public schools do, but we do have iron on the windows and doors of the offices. Nothing will stop a determined thief except a bullet. There are small pockets of Jarabacoa that are considered very dangerous, but they are well known to the locals. Here the biggest issue seems to be moto theft and drugs.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Well yes, but here is some other news.  A criminal back home, if caught, will be thrown in a cage ( ie after lots of talking and squibbling ). And more often than not ( hell make that 90 % of the time ) you will be caught. And the criminal will loose his loot/money.

In the dr, you dont even have to be worried about being caught. Money will buy you the right connections. And assuming you end up having to do some time, money will buy you anything in a dr jail.

So me thinks the system encourages crime. ( as in real crime ).

I am less worried about a couple of guys hanging around a street corner who may, or may not, decided to try and rob me of my phone ( opportunity crime) than of gangs of hardened criminals who would scout out my home/buisness before acting. But thats just me.

Impunity makes for more criminals and a better class of criminals ( if u see what I mean ), at that.

I agree. The system almost seems to favor criminals. I watched this guy get arrested a block from
my apartment last night. Although I do not know him personally, I have seen him around the colmado
many a evening. One has to wonder what other crimes he has committed without being caught for?
http://www.citysantiago.com/2017/01/23/policia-apresa-buscado-por-varios-delitos#.WIZWqVUrLIU

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
To: living in the Lower 9th Ward
Interesting. I live in the Marigny near Elysian Fields and the River in New Orleans.

I am retired, and after three or four DR visits, thinking of leasing a place on the North
Coast.
Can you you suggest a quiet livable area with a good number of expats that would my transition smoother.
Otherwise, I'm headed to Merida or San Miguel de Allende in a few months.
RSVP,

thanks
Ed

Lived in Houston Texas......also has a ninth ward, never go there.........Doc..........

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
As stated several, or maybe many times, tourist areas are relatively safe, as long as the tourists themselves don't do crazy sh*t. For the most part they don't, and whatever may occur can be said with any place in the world.
The difference is where expats choose to settle. Now that is a different story. We also need to seperate towns/municipalities/cities from the provinces. Yes, it does make a difference.
Before this SanPedroGringo was as such, he was a SanJuanGringo. I'd watch the Telemicro news every night, and they would have their San Juan segment speaking of all kinds of horrible acts. I had no clue as to where these places were, because I was in the "municipal" of San Juan....but the rest of the province was huge! Now, here in San Pedro, which I know like the back of my hand, there are times some atrocity is mentioned, and I haven't a clue as to where it is. Ya know, I guess the same could be said about my old hometown. Back OT, maybe Puerto Plata is just a really big province. Regardless, everybody should try to stay safe.

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
A guy was shot dead today in the afternoon while he was picking up his daughter from school. It was a drive by shooting from an SUV!!