Seriously, What's going on in Santiago?

May 29, 2006
There are only about 10 million ppl in the country, prob fewer than 6 million over 20. Higüey, where I live, is suppose to have 100,000, but feels more like 30 or 40,000. Three miles north of town, the road turns to dirt and the population drops down to a couple dozen per sq mile. Once you take STGO and SD out of the figures, it's about as dense as Vermont.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
There are only about 10 million ppl in the country, prob fewer than 6 million over 20. Higüey, where I live, is suppose to have 100,000, but feels more like 30 or 40,000. Three miles north of town, the road turns to dirt and the population drops down to a couple dozen per sq mile. Once you take STGO and SD out of the figures, it's about as dense as Vermont.

Peter, have you been to La Romana, San Pedro, San Cristobal, Azua, San Juan de la Maguana, or Barahona. The sparce areas you speak of north of Higuey may be the campo or bateys, and yes, there are not many people there as compared to the Big 2 sprawling areas of La Capital and La Segunda Capital, but there are other populated urban areas here in DR. The problem is that they are not tourist destinations, with the exception of Barahona, but ask any Dominican, and they will tell you how populated these areas are.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
La Vega does not have the appearance of a city at all but it has around 400,000 people and numerous small villages/towns close by. It's like Jarabacoa, every little road that you think is taking you into the wilderness has a group of houses, or a gated community....etc. Not many places completely bare of Humans.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
The mayor of Santiago recently complained that the Federal Gov. was doing nothing to stem the influx of illegals coming from Venusezula. So many are leaving that ______up country to come to the DR. That could be contributing to crime in major cities in the DR.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The mayor of Santiago recently complained that the Federal Gov. was doing nothing to stem the influx of illegals coming from Venusezula. So many are leaving that ______up country to come to the DR. That could be contributing to crime in major cities in the DR.

Most of the crime on this island is committed by Dominicans looking for their next fix.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011

Venezuelans are not coming here to commit the crimes you would see, or hear of....aka: Street crime. The only crime being committed here by Venezuelans would be by people you surely would never see, way far up the food chain, and they have been here for generations....on an international level. Use your imagination, and you may get it.

Goodwrench708

Nov 1, 2015
Not really seeing a problem in Santiago.  But then again I don't go walking around at night on the streets.  
I don't walk around on US city streets at night as well....   that's not good street smarts.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
If can't see population density map, just right-click and then click on 'open image in new tab.'

The map is of 2004, but the population distribution hasn't change much. The densities are probably higher in the places that have always had higher than Dominican average density.

densidad-poblacion-2004.jpg