Service Dog SDQ?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Respectful baloney. Its no scam, it is not unfortunate, and it does not taint anyone, the "papers" are not off the internet and come with a letter signed by a licensed M.D.
Who the respectful hell are you to make pronouncements. It does not "look official", it is official.

The LAW says a letter from your doctor describing your need is what is required.
How is a person who follows the letter of the law operating a scam?

Opinions are like asses, everyone has one. On this issue you are talking out yours.
Dogs belong in the cabin on aircraft. This is a good law and tainting dog owners as scam artists is nonsense.

Maybe you should do some reading. My search phrase. are people using emotional support dogs as a scam As you stated Opinions are like asses. But seems to be this is not an opinion, is a real and ongoing problem.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/09/19/emotional-support-dogs-on-planes-is-more-scam-than-therapy/
More and more people are passing off their pets as therapy animals and taking them on airplanes for free.Tom Tackett with the Patriotic Service Dog Foundation says this harms those who legitimately need the dogs to survive.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2236871/stop-faking-service-dogs
Quantifying Fake
You can order service dog vests, tags, harnesses and other paraphernalia on Amazon and countless other websites. Dozens of websites and services claim to offer registry, certification, licenses, or other documentation for service dogs—all scams, as the ADA neither defines or requires any such proof.
To take your emotional support animal on an airplane, all you need is a letter from a licensed mental health professional that’s on letterhead, signed, and less than a year old. You can buy those online for a few bucks: news investigations have found psychologists offering to sell them to otherwise undiagnosed clients. Heck, most of us could probably counterfeit one using Photoshop.

http://www.myajc.com/news/local/tor...for-emotional-support/Bagjp5OUMZtpbf7HFMlWXK/

http://dogtime.com/trending/29963-speak-fight-service-dog-fraud

http://dogtime.com/dog-health/gener...umn-fake-service-dogs-are-a-shame-and-a-crime
Every time someone fakes a service dog, it puts the work of real service dogs in jeopardy. Trained service dogs provide assistance in everyday life to those who need it. The consequences are not just limited to a hostess asking your bouncy dog to stop putting his paws on someone else’s table. You and your dog’s actions, no matter how benign, will have impact on the people around you, and one misstep can cause people to believe that all service dogs are just over-glorified pets.

You wouldn’t pretend to be blind to get a reduced bus fare. You wouldn’t pretend to be a paraplegic to use a wheelchair at the supermarket. So, please don’t try to pass your pet off as a service dog. Be respectful to those in need of service animals and leave your pets at home.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Maybe you should do some reading. My search phrase. are people using emotional support dogs as a scam As you stated Opinions are like asses. But seems to be this is not an opinion, is a real and ongoing problem...................

I most certainly agree with this. A quick search and paperwork can be purchased right off the internet. Last few flights i was shocked that a dog was allowed inside the cabin and not in one of those carry bags. The passenger had one of those pug faced dogs on his lap the entire flight. Two men traveling together with shorts pants and an islander shirt as if they just came from an AI resort.

A few flights back someone had a dog darn near the size of a Saint Bernard in the cabin.

It sure looked like a scam to me as neither of these passengers were blind or seemed to have any physical disability.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have seen a St Bernard... here at AZS, with its own seat , boarding pass.
Untrained... NOT a service dog.

What about the wheelchairs on the flight and walking off at the RD end ??
Same game - IMO.

Problem is that fewer & fewer airlines are accepting pets... so people go to an extreme.

No Medical report req'd is my understanding....

That St Bernard was a pet... said Hello to everybody... acted like a passenger.
NOT service trained....

Jan 9, 2004
Respectful baloney. Its no scam, it is not unfortunate, and it does not taint anyone, the "papers" are not off the internet and come with a letter signed by a licensed M.D.
Who the respectful hell are you to make pronouncements. It does not "look official", it is official.

The LAW says a letter from your doctor describing your need is what is required.
How is a person who follows the letter of the law operating a scam?

Opinions are like asses, everyone has one. On this issue you are talking out yours.
Dogs belong in the cabin on aircraft. This is a good law and tainting dog owners as scam artists is nonsense.

It is a very good law but is excessively abused. The only people "tainted" are those who feign fake disabilities to game the system.

In fact, it is so highly abused that 19 states and counting have passed laws against those who try to pass off their pets as such.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...es-crack-down-fake-service-animals/807676001/

Unfortunately the airlines have not yet found a way to stop the scammers as they hurt those with legitimate needs to have an animal in the cabin.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
a9l99u.jpg

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Maybe you should do some reading. My search phrase. are people using emotional support dogs as a scam As you stated Opinions are like asses. But seems to be this is not an opinion, is a real and ongoing problem.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/09/19/emotional-support-dogs-on-planes-is-more-scam-than-therapy/
More and more people are passing off their pets as therapy animals and taking them on airplanes for free.Tom Tackett with the Patriotic Service Dog Foundation says this harms those who legitimately need the dogs to survive.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2236871/stop-faking-service-dogs
Quantifying Fake
You can order service dog vests, tags, harnesses and other paraphernalia on Amazon and countless other websites. Dozens of websites and services claim to offer registry, certification, licenses, or other documentation for service dogs—all scams, as the ADA neither defines or requires any such proof.
To take your emotional support animal on an airplane, all you need is a letter from a licensed mental health professional that’s on letterhead, signed, and less than a year old. You can buy those online for a few bucks: news investigations have found psychologists offering to sell them to otherwise undiagnosed clients. Heck, most of us could probably counterfeit one using Photoshop.

http://www.myajc.com/news/local/tor...for-emotional-support/Bagjp5OUMZtpbf7HFMlWXK/

http://dogtime.com/trending/29963-speak-fight-service-dog-fraud

http://dogtime.com/dog-health/gener...umn-fake-service-dogs-are-a-shame-and-a-crime
Every time someone fakes a service dog, it puts the work of real service dogs in jeopardy. Trained service dogs provide assistance in everyday life to those who need it. The consequences are not just limited to a hostess asking your bouncy dog to stop putting his paws on someone else’s table. You and your dog’s actions, no matter how benign, will have impact on the people around you, and one misstep can cause people to believe that all service dogs are just over-glorified pets.

You wouldn’t pretend to be blind to get a reduced bus fare. You wouldn’t pretend to be a paraplegic to use a wheelchair at the supermarket. So, please don’t try to pass your pet off as a service dog. Be respectful to those in need of service animals and leave your pets at home.

if that is the case change the law.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
It is a very good law but is excessively abused. The only people "tainted" are those who feign fake disabilities to game the system.

In fact, it is so highly abused that 19 states and counting have passed laws against those who try to pass off their pets as such.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...es-crack-down-fake-service-animals/807676001/

Unfortunately the airlines have not yet found a way to stop the scammers as they hurt those with legitimate needs to have an animal in the cabin.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Who is being "hurt"?
The airlines have done a poor job at transporting dogs.
I would rather sit next to a dog than some of the foul passengers put next to me.
Lets change the law so that all dogs go in the cabin.
Controversy ended. I would be happy to buy a ticket for my dog.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I am aware of the saying, "All dogs go to heaven", but nothing of the phrase, "All dogs belong in the main cabin".

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I most certainly agree with this. A quick search and paperwork can be purchased right off the internet. Last few flights i was shocked that a dog was allowed inside the cabin and not in one of those carry bags. The passenger had one of those pug faced dogs on his lap the entire flight. Two men traveling together with shorts pants and an islander shirt as if they just came from an AI resort.

A few flights back someone had a dog darn near the size of a Saint Bernard in the cabin.

It sure looked like a scam to me as neither of these passengers were blind or seemed to have any physical disability.

Pugs and St. Bernards are great dogs. I would be happy to have either as my seat mates.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Pugs and St. Bernards are great dogs. I would be happy to have either as my seat mates.

The average weight of a St. Bernard can range from 64-120 kilograms (141-264 pounds). Would Bernie be flying coach? Lovely K9 indeed, but I am not too sure I would appreciate one as my neighbor on a flight segment.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

It's definitely becoming a problem. A lot of people are starting to "game the system" with these "emotional support animals". I personally know a woman that did just this. A total scam. Just get a note from a doc and onboard you go with your mutt or pot-bellied pig.

If you're legally blind and have a trained seeing eye dog - fine. Otherwise, if you're so unstable you can't make it through a flight w/o your emotional support animal - you shouldn't be allowed onboard in the first place.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
It's definitely becoming a problem. A lot of people are starting to "game the system" with these "emotional support animals". I personally know a woman that did just this. A total scam. Just get a note from a doc and onboard you go with your mutt or pot-bellied pig.

If you're legally blind and have a trained seeing eye dog - fine. Otherwise, if you're so unstable you can't make it through a flight w/o your emotional support animal - you shouldn't be allowed onboard in the first place.

Just give it enough time and something is going to happen. The airline will get sued and big changes will come about.

A passenger will complain they are allergic to animal hair. The dog owner claims they can't survive the flight without their support animal. Both refuse to change their seat or take a later flight............ Just wait, bound to happen. The lawyers are waiting..........

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
The average weight of a St. Bernard can range from 64-120 kilograms (141-264 pounds). Would Bernie be flying coach? Lovely K9 indeed, but I am not too sure I would appreciate one as my neighbor on a flight segment.

Why not? Bernie's are terrific lap dogs.

2aeqc5u.jpg

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I’d love nothing more than to bring our Lily with us, but at 120 pounds the airlines will not fly her.  As bigbird said, sooner or later something will happen, but I was thinking more on the lines of a bite.  And not many would want this dog on their lap for over 3 hours, or find her sitting next to you. This was taken last night, our lap dog.

6B0A4710-03CE-4E20-9354-DB8F2BBF2145.jpeg

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I’d love nothing more than to bring our Lily with us, but at 120 pounds the airlines will not fly her.  As bigbird said, sooner or later something will happen, but I was thinking more on the lines of a bite.  And not many would want this dog on their lap for over 3 hours, or find her sitting next to you. This was taken last night, our lap dog.

View attachment 2754

next time find out when zoom is flying she would make a great seat mate for him and he can claim her as an EMSD.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have seen the 100lb limit stretched a bit.... but not that much !!

I made it at over 100lb (kennel + dog)... but just over -10-15lbs or so.
Never was weighed
WestJet - Toronto

May 5, 2007
Florida seems to have it's own "scam" going on

Friend of mine was in process of renting an apartment, $500.00 non refundable deposit for Jack Russell then the kicker; $75.00 per month for dog?

What is the monthly fee all about?

He talked to a couple potential neighbors with leashes attached and found the "counter" to this new pet charge was to have a friendly Doctor sign form saying pet was therapy, not service but therapy animal then the HOA or rental company must forgo any deposit or monthly fee

It is a game on both sides in this situation where the average Joe Turnip gets bagged for owning a pet