Service Dog SDQ?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Friend of mine was in process of renting an apartment, $500.00 non refundable deposit for Jack Russell then the kicker; $75.00 per month for dog?

What is the monthly fee all about?

He talked to a couple potential neighbors with leashes attached and found the "counter" to this new pet charge was to have a friendly Doctor sign form saying pet was therapy, not service but therapy animal then the HOA or rental company must forgo any deposit or monthly fee

It is a game on both sides in this situation where the average Joe Turnip gets bagged for owning a pet

I think that's only partially true. Many condo associations in Florida as well as down here have a pet weight limit - typically around 20 pounds. So what many people are starting to do to game the system is that, if they want to buy or rent in one of these condos and have a dog over 20 lbs, they simply play the "emotional support animal" scam. It's really getting out of control.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
LOts of places - apartments, hotels -- etc...

NO ANIMALS

the way of the world
Sad but true. The result of jerks not being responsible about their dog and it's behavior.
I am a dog lover and I am in favor of anything pro dog.
The airlines and people overly concerned about scams and correctness be damned.
I prefer man's best friend over many people I have met.
In Washington D.C. the expression is if you want a friend in this town get a dog. True everywhere.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
two points: Jetblue allows two animals total on their flights, I've transported my cat both ways once.
Service dogs are just that, they are trained to provide certain services and should not be in the same class as emotional support animals.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
two points: Jetblue allows two animals total on their flights, I've transported my cat both ways once.
Service dogs are just that, they are trained to provide certain services and should not be in the same class as emotional support animals.

We brought Lily (the rottie in the photo above) from DR to the USA when she was a tiny puppy, her parents were our dogs there.  We flew American Airlines, and they allowed up to 4 animals per flight.  Each airline is different.

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
JetBlue now allows you to bring a pet onboard for 100.00 - You can add them when you do a reservation online. 

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
JetBlue now allows you to bring a pet onboard for 100.00 - You can add them when you do a reservation online. 

If they are like American, pet must be under 20 pounds and fit under the seat in front of you in a case.  They charged $125

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I think its more ridiculous how many people need wheelchairs to board a plane ....but can run off as soon as the plane lands
my last flight from santo domingo had one wheelchair passenger accompanied by eight family members who were all allowed to board before anyone else

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I think that's only partially true. Many condo associations in Florida as well as down here have a pet weight limit - typically around 20 pounds. So what many people are starting to do to game the system is that, if they want to buy or rent in one of these condos and have a dog over 20 lbs, they simply play the "emotional support animal" scam. It's really getting out of control.

out of control you say? It is a scam?
Ok. Make better rules. Rules can be great so long as they are enforced.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I think its more ridiculous how many people need wheelchairs to board a plane ....but can run off as soon as the plane lands
my last flight from santo domingo had one wheelchair passenger accompanied by eight family members who were all allowed to board before anyone else

Was a service dog in the wheelchair, because I do not see how this equates?

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I had a St Bernard on my flight once ---

Had its own boarding pass & seat...
But certainly was NOT a service dog.... begged for food, addressed every passerby

Lots of scams.........
Just saw a report on how people are scamming the system with their alleged "emotional support animals" . There are websites where you just answer a few questions and you get a certificate that your pet can fly with you. Delta, for instance, is increasing the requirements.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Gald to see a semblance of sanity ..... way out of control.

And Celt - watch where you hide that gerbil...
I'm sure you know the old story about using gerbils for certain activities!!??

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I saw the Delta story on the news last night.

They had pictures of folks with a pig, a duck, a Kangaroo, and a turkey as support animals. Definitely out of control.