Shoot out in Puerto Plata - Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
If you click on her name you can get all she has posted and all threads started.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
leggie said:
Ok I have to admit I am a little worried by this report. Does this happen often? By the blase replies, it is not good press for visitors to the POP area.

I have already booked a car and driver for a few days during my stay, where I was hoping to get away from the typical tourist trails.

On the basis of the above report (if common occurance) where would suggest avoiding?
Leggie
Come on holiday & do everything you planned to do, taking the normal cautions you would in your country of origin. Heed the advice of Rocky. I,too, have lived in Puerto Plata for 12 years. I am a female. NEVER have I experienced the Ladybird syndrome.
Ladybird,
Knock it on the head NOW. It was mildly amusing entertainment for a short while, none of us take it seriously, but when you start making the tourists anxious, that is the time to STOP with all of this. So , do so. NOW

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Leggie come down don't worry. I was there for a month on my own once and last Nov for two weeks and I traveled on the bus to many cities and met some wonderful people. Both Dominicans and tourists.

MotorCity Mike

Apr 9, 2004
I'm coming down there in a couple of weeks with my family. After reading the threads, my wife is very concerned about her safety and the safety of our child.

I've been to the DR about 12 times and have NEVER had ANY problems. I never limit myself to tourist zones and have ventured to areas I probably shouldn't have....still.....No problems.

Being from a big U.S. City, we know how to act and how to avoid bad situations, yet after reading the posts, my wife is still concerned.

From the posts she's read, my wife has drawn the conclusion that there are murderers on the loose everywhere and a shootout waiting to happen around every corner.

Personally, I don't believe all of the posts.

MCM

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
miguel said:
Scott, are you, in a way, trying to say that, perhaps, she is making some of these things up or exagerating it a bit?. If you are, and I am not saying that you are, you would not be alone with the sentiment!! She is making it seem like a fricking WAR ZONE. People are going to be concerned and afraid when they read her posts!!!!

I'm surprised Ladybird has any problems anywhere, afterall, she knows people in high places.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
This shoot out had nothing to do with me it was because of the electricity problems, dont try and make out Im a liar, I dont encourage these thieves. You dont even know me or my friends Scott, it was your ex girlfriend that had her car damaged or did you forget that? I had no problems that night you were the one that was sulking because of others. and your "friend" that has his office in that area did know of this problem as a lot of the businesses had closed down that day. Still you lot often tear into people on this board and upset quite a few, I suppose its just my turn.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
miguel said:
Scott, are you, in a way, trying to say that, perhaps, she is making some of these things up or exagerating it a bit?. If you are, and I am not saying that you are, you would not be alone with the sentiment!! She is making it seem like a fricking WAR ZONE. People are going to be concerned and afraid when they read her posts!!!!
How can I say anything of the sort. I am not there when these things happen. I am just saying that these types of things NEVER happen to me. I have been there longer and play at all types of stuff and look DANGER right in the eye. I always drive to POP when they have strikes and this sort of thing is supposed to happen but it never has.

Scott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
I was told by the ex girlfriend you had car problems again on the way home. Did she lie to me about that? Only you can tell me that.

Ladybird said:
This shoot out had nothing to do with me it was because of the electricity problems, dont try and make out Im a liar, I dont encourage these thieves. You dont even know me or my friends Scott, it was your ex girlfriend that had her car damaged or did you forget that? I had no problems that night you were the one that was sulking because of others. and your "friend" that has his office in that area did know of this problem as a lot of the businesses had closed down that day. Still you lot often tear into people on this board and upset quite a few, I suppose its just my turn.
I never said you were a liar. When I made reference to the Cop Rapist and said "SHE CLAIMED IN POST" it was just to say I read it here and it wasn't something I personally knew about. I wouldn't say such a thing(you being a liar unless I knew for sure you were). Some people read that into my post, it wasn't put there. I have never caught you lying yet that I know of or remember. I think some people may feel that you are telling stories judging by some of the responses you have received. Who has to know someone to know that they are in the middle of crap all the time when they post about it here?

The Ex girlfriend is an EX because she has the same tendency of being in the middle or causing shitstorms. I keep my distance so I don't have to be caught up in the crazyness that surrounds both her and you. Not saying I haven't made a few calls to help ease some problems she gets herself into after I stopped seeing her because I have and do and probably will but to be together with a whirlwind woman is not my bag. I drop them quick when I see crazy behaviour just as I stopped seeing her.

I can tell people that have a shitstorm going on in their lives a mile away and try to keep my distance. I don't want any bad voodoo or doodoo rubbing off on me. Life is way too short to be under your sort of pressure all the time.

Scott

leggie

Jun 3, 2004
Lambada said:
Leggie
Come on holiday & do everything you planned to do, taking the normal cautions you would in your country of origin. Heed the advice of Rocky. I,too, have lived in Puerto Plata for 12 years. I am a female. NEVER have I experienced the Ladybird syndrome.
Ladybird,
Knock it on the head NOW. It was mildly amusing entertainment for a short while, none of us take it seriously, but when you start making the tourists anxious, that is the time to STOP with all of this. So , do so. NOW

Thanks for all your comments, I'm glad that this is not the normal situation.
I was worried because my daughter is incredible special to me the only child I have, and I would never like to take her somewhere, where she might be in trouble.
My family and I fly out on Friday from the UK and are really looking forward to our 1st visit to the DR.
The majority of you guy's on this forum are great, and really friendly. I hope I am just as lucky to meet people like you when I arrive.

Thanks again you have helped to put my mind at rest.

Leggie. :)

urose

May 7, 2004
shooting...

Were there any reports of people that may have died in the shooting in Puerto Plata?

Rocky said:
Darn right it's safe to go out. Probably safer than most cities in North America.
It's still a good idea to exercize good judgement and make sure you don't set yourself up to be a crime victim.
Ladybird, although newly arrived here, has managed to get herself in more trouble and in more precarious situations than I have in 13 years. Now y'all may think that I just sit on my butt here at Rocky's and never get out to even find any trouble, but I did own and operate a fruit and vegetable business here for 8 years, that had me up in the middle of the night, every night, carrying large amounts of cash, as the farmers don't take checques or visa cards, and I haven't come close to matching Ladybird's bad track record.
That's why I posted above about "good karma"
The impression I get reading her posts is that she is living in a battle zone, while I live in paradise.
Draw your own conclusions from all this, but rest assured that the DR is not as she describes...
Marco.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
urose said:
Were there any reports of people that may have died in the shooting in Puerto Plata?
I never even heard about the shoot out, so I'm afraid that I have no information to share.
Marco.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
leggie said:
I was worried because my daughter is incredible special to me the only child I have, and I would never like to take her somewhere, where she might be in trouble.
My family and I fly out on Friday from the UK and are really looking forward to our 1st visit to the DR.
The majority of you guy's on this forum are great, and really friendly. I hope I am just as lucky to meet people like you when I arrive.

Hope to get a chance to meet you sometime.
Happy travels.
Marco.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Seconded, Rocky

leggie said:

Of course your daughter is special - all you need to watch out for is the attention she'll get from male hotel staff, particularly activities staff who speak English. :lick:
Like Rocky, I hope we get the chance to meet & that you & your family have a WONDERFUL holiday.
On the other person......there is reality & then there is perception of reality. You get my drift? Safe journey.

Hey Motor city I will be down there to protect you in 3 weeks and maybe we could cause a **** storm ourselves ;) And Bring Scott with us to bail us out when the **** hits the fan ;) . But in all seriousness I have been traveling to DR for over 12 years now and have never been in these situations so my advise to any wary visitors is come enjoy but be careful the same as you would in your own countries.
Badpiece

brian richards

Jan 2, 2004
I can tell people that have a shitstorm going on in their lives a mile away and try to keep my distance. I don't want any bad voodoo or doodoo rubbing off on me. Life is way too short to be under your sort of pressure all the time.

Scott[/QUOTE]
Now I Know what voodoo is, what are you describing as a doodoo.

MotorCity Mike

Apr 9, 2004
badpiece33 said:
Hey Motor city I will be down there to protect you in 3 weeks and maybe we could cause a **** storm ourselves ;) And Bring Scott with us to bail us out when the **** hits the fan ;) . But in all seriousness I have been traveling to DR for over 12 years now and have never been in these situations so my advise to any wary visitors is come enjoy but be careful the same as you would in your own countries.
Badpiece

I don't know Badpiece......you guys almost got my camera stolen the last time I was there!!!!! :p :p

brian richards

Jan 2, 2004
Two problems sorted as one

Do you know a tailoress.
because if you go to
A41 wearing apparel

You can bye ladies undergarments and bulletproof material
get bulletproof knickers made, hey presto new knickers and protection.

Just a thought?

La Barbie i'm sure if you live in a major city something similar has happened ,your just not always told of it. Would you come to NY or LA with the same apprehensions? Just5 Relax and enjoy, and if your in Puerto Plata from the 5th -13th I will buy you a cold beer and we can tour the war zone ourselves. I'm sure you be buying a ticket to come back again after my tour!!!! ;)
Badpiece

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
brian richards said:

Scott
Now I Know what voodoo is, what are you describing as a doodoo.[/QUOTE]Someone elses sh1t rubbing off on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.