shootout in cabarete leaves 5 injured

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a, sorry, when i said "shotgun wounds" i meant wounds from a gun that was shot. i lack gun related vocabulary.

Shackmack

Jun 9, 2014
last night the police attempted to close kahuna bar in cabarete. one of the cops was attacked with a cut bottle and had his gun taken away by a delinquente. as a result 3 cops and 2 civilians resulted with shotgun wounds.
it's kinda like a wild wild west story.
Tres polic?as y dos civiles heridos en intento de cierre bares en Puerto Plata
more details here: Trifulca en un centro de diversi?n dejo a dos polic?as un marino y dos civiles heridos de bala en Cabarete - Puerto Plata Digital

Wow !! Thats surprising since the Owner is an ex cop booted out of the force in Edmonton.."Constable Berube has demonstrated a consistent lack of judgment, a lack of integrity and a consistent failure to exhibit the values and character traits that a police officer needs to fulfill his role in society..." the presiding officer, Calgary Police Insp. Paul Manuel, wrote in a 55-page decision. Totally surprised!!! He once bragged he had all the local policia under control

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
totally. this mistake was a brain burp. in reality the language i butcher the most is polish. it stopped being my first language 13 years ago. today i need to google polish proverbs or else i mess them up.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Congrats on being lucky Winde. We would have missed you.

I appreciate it.

As I understand the situation, a bar owner has no way to protect from a customer attacking a police man with a bottle, then grabbing his gun and starting a shoot out. It is in no way the fault of the bar owner based upon the reports I have seen thus far.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I appreciate it.

As I understand the situation, a bar owner has no way to protect from a customer attacking a police man with a bottle, then grabbing his gun and starting a shoot out. It is in no way the fault of the bar owner based upon the reports I have seen thus far.

You would think the police would go straight to the bar owner on arrival and talk to him. Not the customer. But who knows what happened here. And the minute the police arrive this (supposedly experienced) bar owner should have had his security with him. Close. Unpredicatable situation. Some places have better security in place than others. It seems to depend on the ower and past experience at the bar.

bilko

Aug 5, 2011
You would think the police would go straight to the bar owner on arrival and talk to him. Not the customer. But who knows what happened here. And the minute the police arrive this (supposedly experienced) bar owner should have had his security with him. Close. Unpredicatable situation. Some places have better security in place than others. It seems to depend on the ower and past experience at the bar.

I doubt that the owner would be at the bar late at night, he rarely is seen in the daytime.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
The 911 service, Danilo's pet project, has been besieged with calls about noise - there have been more calls about noise than anything else. Danilo has now set up a high-level task force to deal with noise "once and for all" evidently, they are now saying that they will take a very tough line on any bars which are making too much noise or opening late. For those who aren't aware, the law is 12 midnight between Sunday - Thursday, and 2am on Friday and Saturday. Any bar opening later than this needs permission. Unless it's a hotel bar, nothing can be open after 3am. Most of the bars in Cabarete are breaking the law, but clearly this will change. The police have been taking an increasingly tough line in the capital, and in Santiago, and now this is spreading to areas like Cabarete.

I have to say I fully support this. One reason I limit the time I spend in Cabarete is because of noise, the bars and discos produce so much noise and it's often unpleasant sleeping in the beachfront hotels.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

It is extremely unlikely the owner was there when this happened. The night manager would have been in charge. I know this is most likely since I used to play music there.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
It is extremely unlikely the owner was there when this happened. The night manager would have been in charge. I know this is most likely since I used to play music there.

Claro. My dad owned a bar for 15 years and he was usually there at night. For things like this. He was always concerned about keeping the liquor license because it was his living for a while. The manager ran it during the day. I would never go into that business.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Claro. My dad owned a bar for 15 years and he was usually there at night. For things like this. He was always concerned about keeping the liquor license because it was his living for a while. The manager ran it during the day. I would never go into that business.

As I mentioned, I cannot be 100% certain, but the owner was rarely if ever there late at night. Just the managers were there.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
A biker hang out and a fired Police owner,,no thanks!! I will keep frequenting respectable places: Elvis's, Rumba bar, Clasicos

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
If there were at least three police there what is there for the bar owner to do? It was stated that the police was attacked and a police weapon was taken by a person. Many shots were fired. The motive for the crime has not really been established as there are different accounts. This whole crime could have happened very quickly and it may not have happened right inside the bar but could have started at the entrance to the bar by the street. Heck, the people involved might not have even entered the bar but were on their way there from another bar. There is a lot of speculation here..but what the heck we got nothing to do but speculate about everything here...jajajaja... Usually nothing good happens after 2am or so... A bunch of drunk probably young people with hormones raging...

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
If there were at least three police there what is there for the bar owner to do? It was stated that the police was attacked and a police weapon was taken by a person. Many shots were fired. The motive for the crime has not really been established as there are different accounts. This whole crime could have happened very quickly and it may not have happened right inside the bar but could have started at the entrance to the bar by the street. Heck, the people involved might not have even entered the bar but were on their way there from another bar. There is a lot of speculation here..but what the heck we got nothing to do but speculate about everything here...jajajaja... Usually nothing good happens after 2am or so... A bunch of drunk probably young people with hormones raging...

exactly right, when in Sosua or Cab, I am out by 12 or 1230 when the boogie man gets drunk and does crazy sheet