Snakes in Santiago

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While I certainly applaud Don's posting, the one by Freefallfatty is right on....

Snakes are essential to rodent control. If anyone wants to give me a medium size one, I will be more than happy to take it off your hands.

HB

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I hate snakes too. Here's a pic of a couple they found in Haina yesterday. They probably came in some container

3745460099_8059ffb84a.jpg

...and here's the article.

3 pasitos: CULEBRAS ENCONTRADAS EN EL PUERTO DE HAINA

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Sometimes I think they prefer to have the rats around, rather to let live a single snake...

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Due to the size of the snake I think that most of you failed to notice something....the naked blonde attached to the container door!!! lol

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Due to the size of the snake I think that most of you failed to notice something....the naked blonde attached to the container door!!! lol

I did notice...probably how these guys pass the time while working.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
keep an eye out for snakeskin shoes and belts when you go out to the discos now, we don't have to import that stuff anymore, this trend will catch on quick with some tigres i know! oscar de la renta snakeskin handbag made in haina, looks good in the mall in SD, only 1200 US...............

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

It's the snake they plan on "milking", right?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Thought I would revive this old thread for a bit to post this pic of a good size snake they found in Cotui area.

71mv41.jpg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
wHAT A MAGNIFICANT specimen.. I do hope they didn't kill it... think of all the rats it eats!!!

HB

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Rodent control!!! What a joke! How about putting garbage in to bins and proper garbage pick up and disposal???
Something that big comes on to my property, without bringing a six pack of cold presidentes, gets it's head chopped off.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You are lucky stupidity is not a rationed substance! No bad snakes in the DR!!! NONE...

They only do good work...Think, man, how long that beauty has lived in his own world...

No natural predators.

Glorious...

HB, two Bohemias down and a lot more to go!!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
No bad snakes in the DR!!! NONE...

They only do good work...Think, man, how long that beauty has lived in his own world...

No natural predators.

Glorious...

HB, two Bohemias down and a lot more to go!!

HB: I think you're right that we don't have native Dominican poisonous snakes, but I'm pretty sure some douche bag rich people have imported some as pets. Like I said in one of my posts there's a baseball player from Cotui who supposedly had a bunch of pythons and other kinds he imported from The US and/or Brazil and the rumor is that some of those escaped into the surrounding woods. Of course with no natural predators they would reproduce quickly (assuming there were male/females). Anyhow just like there are now a ton of those in Florida (former pets) I wouldn't doubt the same thing has happened in The DR.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No matter, the post by Heliace, got him upset...he sent me a PM...Poor fellow...

Just think, killing such a gift...yes, it would be very dumb...

As for exotic snakes here??? I don't know...so far, none have turned up...unlike the lion fish off shore...Now those suckers are nasty...

Be interesting to see if one does...

DOminican snakes are python relatives, constrictors...so what?> they are not poisonous...

HB

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
What python is poisonous?
As far as I know there are few poisonous snakes here, tree snakes specific but no more venom than it takes to stun a small bird or rat. Nothing here could cause any human any problem, you would get more of an ache from scorpion stings here, which are just like harsh bee stings but people do often have slight reaction and can swell a little of last a few days, week maybe.
I would be surprised if all snakes found here were not killed, even old specimens as in the photo, maybe 40-50 year old, older even depending on species. Ignorance is an excuse to a certain degree when it comes to killing wildlife, lack of education on how important every species is, from plants to flies is terrible in a country that at one time much have been richer at least in more huntable species, but us from well educated countries have no excuse at all, other than simply don't care, and I do know a few expats in that mindset. I see schools educating kids in this area now so maybe things may improve. I think once the overall level of education here has stepped up a notch everything will improve, including the micro environment around our landscapes.

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Great, another pompous a$$...
Pythons and constictors can give a nasty bite!!!They have rows of needle like teeth that point inwards and thier mouths are full of nasty bacteria....
I hope one bites you in your fat you know what...
We,ll see who is the poor fellow...

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Just think, killing such a gift...yes, it would be very dumb...

As for exotic snakes here??? I don't know...so far, none have turned up...unlike the lion fish off shore...Now those suckers are nasty...

DOminican snakes are python relatives, constrictors...so what?> they are not poisonous...

HB

As one having a horrible phobia of snakes but still recognizing their value in the ecology, I would give that big sucker a lot of room - by that, I mean I would turn the car around and drive to another province. Nevertheless...

Can anyone recommend a good book that has pictures (I'm sort of slow ;)) of reptiles and amphibians indigineous to Hispaniola? I'm even willing to order from Amazon.com to get one. English or Spanish would be acceptible.