So much rain !!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It's one of my favorite childhood memories. My grandparents had a tin roof in Wisconsin and the sound of rain would lull me to sleep.

The building next door is under piecemeal construction of concrete and rebar. The latest installment was doing a finishing layer to the second floor. The owner then immediately built a zinc shanty on top. I now get to listen rain on zinc. (As well as a Turkey to wake me up in the morning).

then you know exactly what i mean. city folk who lived under concrete roofs will not understand..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Oh yeah.

I'm glad I'm on the second floor. I suspect some good people have rainwater running through their casas about now.

i returned to POP from Santiago last evening. the mudslides were just warming up. i wonder what it looks like today.-

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
On Sunday afternoon, I placed an empty Campbell's Soup can in the center of my Patio (in Sosua).

It is now full. 4? of rain in 2 days, and the rain is still coming.

In the last 2 hours.... an additional 1 3/4" of rain.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a friend who runs a local news site is sending me pictures of puerto plata... i am speechless. so much of it is already under the water.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
We are drowning here in the North Coast, this rain just does not stop..... did someone mentioned a Noah's Arc and reservation, could we have some prices and T&C please - I hope it is not by weight... !? lol, not for me but I know some people who won't make it in that case...

That was me Uzin (it will be Gary's Ark) First class cabins are filling up quickly. Better book soon!!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Supposedly, we get a several day rain break this weekend...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Grab that washing machine, oops, got away

[video=youtube;7Dgj-AQYbkg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dgj-AQYbkg[/video]

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I'm ready to dry out today. I can barely get the stove lit with damp matches. Any tricks for keeping matches dry? Fridge is usually a dry environment.

We have a family of 5 camped out with us. They were inundated with a meter of water yesterday. The kids had chattering teeth. Sad and cute at the same time.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm ready to dry out today. I can barely get the stove lit with damp matches. Any tricks for keeping matches dry? Fridge is usually a dry environment.

We keep ours in a small Tupperware type container with a well sealing lid.*

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Are there any meteorologists out there that can explain this unprecedented amount of rain? *Is it La nina? *What is the long range forecast? *More of the same?

Right now at 9.30 Monday morning it's chucking it down here in Cabarete, yet most of my weather websites show clear skies!
https://www.windytv.com/?rain,18.467,-69.900,6
http://www.intellicast.com/Storm/Hurricane/CaribbeanSatellite.aspx?animate=true
http://maps.wunderground.com/data/640x480/2xg2_ir_anim.gif

Where's Mike Fisher, we need his expert take on this.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The forecast is calling for even heavier rains starting Wednesday afternoon. It is a shame to send all the children showing up for school home when there is no flooding here in Jarabacoa and only a slight drizzle. Rivers are high but not super high. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case for other areas. Time to plant lots of trees, grass, and shrubs to soak up the water and hold the soil.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the weather can change pretty rapidly, hence closing the schools altogether throughout the province, even in the areas not immediately affected. few minutes ago it was nice and sunny here, for example, now it started to rain. i'm sure it's the same in other places. so even if the kids could get to school alright there is always a chance they would not be able to reach their homes few hours later if it starts to rain heavily.