So you're bored in Sosua...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
From the neck down, I'd still like to visit! The mangroves are what grabbed my attention. That and the vultures. : )

Sollie

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A wonderful thread, friend Rocky. Some of those shots are awesome.
Did anyone else notice how awkward the blond dancing with "Brees" looked trying to dance merengue?? Ain't in the blood.

What happened to the Four Wheel Tour shots...?? Those were really great!

Don't know how you do it...

HB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
A wonderful thread, friend Rocky. Some of those shots are awesome.

What happened to the Four Wheel Tour shots...?? Those were really great!

Don't know how you do it...

HB
Thanks HB.
We actually do a lot more, but rarely bring the digicam.
We're more likely to do something on the sperm of the moment, than to preplan.

Here are a few more mountaintop shots.
It's worth the ride up there, just for this.

POPmountaintopview.jpg

POPmountaintopview1.jpg

POPmountaintopview2.jpg

POPmountaintopview3.jpg

POPmountaintopview4.jpg

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Rocky: The girl offering you Cacao? Was that also a Sperm of the moment decision? It looks like you're out in the woods...alone...hmmm

There's some irony here too, as "pedir cacao" means to give up in Dominican Spanish...

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rocky: The girl offering you Cacao? Was that also a Sperm of the moment decision? It looks like you're out in the woods...alone...hmmm

There's some irony here too, as "pedir cacao" means to give up in Dominican Spanish...
I fought back with all my might, but alas, she was to strong for me, and I was overwhelmed.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Just because DR is an island doesn't mean we cannot have cultural institutions. JSYK, Beach tourism is getting old, it is not a sustainable long term solution to our progress. Culture and art have to be promoted, a society w/out art is doom to fail.

O QUE? Acaso son solo ustedes que tienen acceso a viajes a Europa y las grandes metropolis donde pueden encontrar las grandes obras de arte, que tienen el derecho de poder disfrutar de una obra de teatro o algo asi? Es que los dominicanos NO DEBERIAMOS TENER nuestras instituciones culturales tambien, AUNQUE SEAMOS una jungla de pais? No es que el arte debe estar destinado a atraer a los turistas no, el arte debe ser para enriquecer nuestra cultura claro esta.

No se puede ser tan egoista carajo.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Just because DR is an island doesn't mean we cannot have cultural institutions. JSYK, Beach tourism is getting old, it is not a sustainable long term solution to our progress. Culture and art have to be promoted, a society w/out art is doom to fail.

O QUE? Acaso son solo ustedes que tienen acceso a viajes a Europa y las grandes metropolis donde pueden encontrar las grandes obras de arte, que tienen el derecho de poder disfrutar de una obra de teatro o algo asi? Es que los dominicanos NO DEBERIAMOS TENER nuestras instituciones culturales tambien, AUNQUE SEAMOS una jungla de pais? No es que el arte debe estar destinado a atraer a los turistas no, el arte debe ser para enriquecer nuestra cultura claro esta.

Furthest thing from their minds...wasting your time Funnyyale26 or should I say contrarian.;)

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Contra A.Hidalgo...

Sorry Funnyyale26, I assumed you were another fat-cat tourist like myself who jets around the world seeking new experiences and sensations while maintaining a prudent distance from the locals and their "culture".

The fact is that since I am considering retirement to the DR, I have thought about the lack of higher cultural offerings in the country as a whole. It's something I will have to take into account when I finally make a decision.

But we were talking about Sosua here, where Classicos and la playa are about as cultural as it gets. If I were looking for high culture in the DR, I would look to Santo Domingo or Santiago (both sadly lacking it's true) rather than a sleepy beach town, unless you would like to see it become another Yuppie "paradise", with trendy art galleries and upscale, overpriced restaurants.

Plus, I think there is a contradiction in your posts. In this last one, you seem to be calling for art for the common folk, while in the previous post you said
...I don't understand why in this day and age, a town like Sosua (that has many years as a tourist enclave) still doesn't have museums. art galleries, plazas, theaters, etc.

So, which is it; culture for the average Dominican, who could probably care less, or for Gringo jerks like me who already find the Louvre a bit of a bore. Any high culture in the DR is going to have to come from Dominicans, so they are the ones you should be speaking to.

BTW: what the heck were Dominicans doing in Azerbaijan? That's got to be an interesting story.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It's all good.

It doesn't matter what turns you on, culture, beach, people, sports, nature...
It's all good.

These folks brought a few toys and some hand puppets to entertain the kids.
We're talking a 10 minute drive from the center of Sosua, no great expense, and an adventure to remember for the rest of your life.

BellaVistad27.jpg

BellaVistad28.jpg

BellaVistad29.jpg

BellaVistad30.jpg

BellaVistad31.jpg

BellaVistad32.jpg

BellaVistad33.jpg

BellaVistad34.jpg

BellaVistad35.jpg

BellaVistad36.jpg

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Sorry Funnyyale26, I assumed you were another fat-cat tourist like myself who jets around the world seeking new experiences and sensations while maintaining a prudent distance from the locals and their "culture".

The fact is that since I am considering retirement to the DR, I have thought about the lack of higher cultural offerings in the country as a whole. It's something I will have to take into account when I finally make a decision.

But we were talking about Sosua here, where Classicos and la playa are about as cultural as it gets. If I were looking for high culture in the DR, I would look to Santo Domingo or Santiago (both sadly lacking it's true) rather than a sleepy beach town, unless you would like to see it become another Yuppie "paradise", with trendy art galleries and upscale, overpriced restaurants.

Plus, I think there is a contradiction in your posts. In this last one, you seem to be calling for art for the common folk, while in the previous post you said

So, which is it; culture for the average Dominican, who could probably care less, or for Gringo jerks like me who already find the Louvre a bit of a bore. Any high culture in the DR is going to have to come from Dominicans, so they are the ones you should be speaking to.

BTW: what the heck were Dominicans doing in Azerbaijan? That's got to be an interesting story.

I imagine that Dominicans also live in Sosua right? Well, every town should have it's cultural institutions. Ok, maybe not sosua per se, but at least in the city (Puerto Plata) there should have been museums, art galleries, theaters..etc. I did not mean to say that the local art should be to atract gringos, sorry for the confusion. After all, I know that dominican art is not as vanguard as Haitian, Cuban, Mexican...but we should have art anyway (at least for us). Art by dominicans for dominicans. If gringos are not interested, then fine. But Dominican art should be promote it within our culture, for us (dominicans). Do you understand what I mean now?

Ahh about my parents:
The soviets awarded scholarships to students throughout Latin America, Asia and Africa and my parents happen to be lucky. And so, they met there and got married...and then my mother became pregnant and then I was born.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The last photos of the waterfalls-are these places close to Sosua?

How would one get to these places?

Would I need to hire a guide?

Status
Not open for further replies.