Sosua Beach News

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
People don't like change. Doesn't really matter what form that changes comes in. Eg. The introduction of dollar coin was ultimately a huge success up north and a dismal failure down south. Technological innovation in the DR will be driven by the necessity to keep local systems compatible with the rest of the world. Some of this change may be voluntary in the short term but a lot of it will be necessity driven. Whether the local population originally embraces these changes will be immaterial. Debit cards are taking off here just as they did elsewhere. Over time more and more people who have more than 100 pesos will come to rely on cashless payment methods such as nfc on their phones and chipped credit/debit cards. Change may be slow but it cannot be halted.

The garbage problem here is a societal attitude. Someone elsewhere already posted the solution. Mount a sustained public awareness campaign, teach environmental stewardship in schools, and fine the crap out of people and companies caught depositing refuse inappropriately. Nothing changes behavior faster than making it consistently more expensive to do the wrong thing over doing the right thing.

Nothing is going to happen any time soon on this front, but it could if "they" want it badly enough.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What does that tell us about where we live? And some say this booming economy will become a high tech, non cash, "smart island", a leading example of Latin America. This will all be accomplished by people who dont see the importance of NOT throwing garbage on their most precious natural assets, BEACHES!!!

Don't worry, after all the children have their laptops, they will never throw trash on the beaches again.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Exactly.Unless you are there for that purpose no girls will bother you and I may be a bit naive but there really does not seem to be a huge problem..
Total BS..

I took my ex-wife who was visiting a while ago and she had no idea that there were any working girls on the beach.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
P Someone elsewhere already posted the solution. Mount a sustained public awareness campaign, teach environmental stewardship in schools, and fine the crap out of people and companies caught depositing refuse inappropriately. Nothing changes behavior faster than making it consistently more expensive to do the wrong thing over doing the right thing.

Nothing is going to happen any time soon on this front, but it could if "they" want it badly enough.

Because it so ingrained in Dom society, it would probably take at least a decade to turn things around. When the "don't be a litterbug" campaign was started in the States it was because we were just "starting" to litter as families were beginning to travel with their new cars, over the new interstate highways after WWII. And it was kind of aimed at kids, who then shamed their parents. And actually, we're now going backwards in the States. Way too much garbage is being thrown down in public.

I could see a Dom First Lady taking it on, and starting the same type of program in the DR. It could be easily done. They just have to get off their rear end and start. Meanwhile, it's a pigsty.

And they want tourism?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
They just have to get off their rear end and start. Meanwhile, it's a pigsty.

I agree 100% Time and time again we see grandiose projects started and then abandoned before completion. Many of the shortcomings we see in Dominican society today can be improved with time, effort, education and some money. Here, it appears that it's all about immediate results. I think cleaning up the country could be a good lesson for politicians and citizens alike on how some problems take a long time to fix and required sustained attention and effort over a long period of time to achieve.

Sosua - the little town that can't be fixed in a single political term so no one seriously begins the revitalization (maybe because they believe they won't get the credit).

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
I took my ex-wife who was visiting a while ago and she had no idea that there were any working girls on the beach.

Observant or not. I think possibly your point and the point from Wrecksum is that there is not a bit problem on Sosua beach regarding the girls based on my experience at least. When I go there none of them bothers me. I go to my favorite bar/restaurant and eat my food. Talk to my friends, Swim in water etc.. without any harassments at all. In case one of the girls would approach me I just say no thank you in a polite but decisive manner

On occasion In case some visitors happen to sit close to me and who may have company are a bit loud and the language is not always in my liking I usually smile about it and continue on with my beach day. I fail to see the problem on Sosua beach and I always enjoy my time there.

Pedro Clisante at night however is not my liking and is a whole different story but who am I to judge. I just prefer a bit different scenery. Cabarete fits me better in the evenings.

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
Observant or not. I think possibly your point and the point from Wrecksum is that there is not a bit problem on Sosua beach regarding the girls based on my experience at least. When I go there none of them bothers me. I go to my favorite bar/restaurant and eat my food. Talk to my friends, Swim in water etc.. without any harassments at all. In case one of the girls would approach me I just say no thank you in a polite but decisive manner

On occasion In case some visitors happen to sit close to me and who may have company are a bit loud and the language is not always in my liking I usually smile about it and continue on with my beach day. I fail to see the problem on Sosua beach and I always enjoy my time there.

Pedro Clisante at night however is not my liking and is a whole different story but who am I to judge. I just prefer a bit different scenery. Cabarete fits me better in the evenings.

I have a lot of ugly guy friends that never get hit on in Boca.

Retire

Jan 18, 2017

I couldn't agree more . Well said

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
This was Posted today on Sosua News
27 July 2017
Will the beach bars disappear?
The environment minister Francisco Dominguez Brito and the mayor of Sosúa, Ilana Neumann, have in recent days visited Sosua beach. They spoke with several restaurants, bars and souvenir shops owners about the possibilities and the problems they, or the beach visitors encounter.
Especially on weekends and during holidays beach visitors encounter annoyance of intrusive ladies for which many American tourists seem to come specifically to Sosúa. There were complaints about noise nuisance and unclear prices for the drinks, food and beach chairs. Both the environment minister and the mayor want to start the talks again about the old plan to move businesses to a square near the entrance to the beach. But the mayor does want to discuss this with all those involved at the beach and how to proceed!

Source:
Puerto Plata Digital and DomRep Magazin

Well.... at least they toned down it down a little.
Was....
the presence of many sex workers and African-American tourists who frequently sought their services was noted
vs.......
beach visitors encounter annoyance of intrusive ladies for which many American tourists seem to come specifically to Sosúa.

The only truth in the article is....
Both the Environment Minister and the Mayor want to start the talks again about the old plan to move businesses to a square near the entrance to the beach.

And that is not really true either. I am sure they have already started the discussion (and decided on who is going to split the profits)

The justification for removing 200 Vendors from a Public Beach ? ? ?
complaints about noise nuisance and unclear prices for the drinks, food and beach chairs.
And, don't forget those “ African-American tourists”

Like clearing the beach of Vendors (well, small time local Vendors) is going to make the Beach
-Quieter
-With Clear Prices
-Resolve Beach Chair problems

Like improving the Beach will stop “ African-American tourists” and “ intrusive ladies” from visiting the Beach.

It is hard to believe that the Environment Minister Francisco Dominguez Brito came all the way to Sosua Beach and never mentioned that the Thousands of Dominicans, that overcrowd the Beach every weekend, leave ALL their garbage behind on the Beach, a lot of which gets washed out into the Bay.
You would think that this might peak the interest of The DR's Environment Minister.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Brito hates to see prostitutes. This is a well documented fact about the Attorney General of the DR. Think "red light district" in the future for them. If a red light district is set up, those "intrusive ladies$" will likely have a rea$on, or two, to $TAY there.

Removing vendors who have no legal right to be where they are will still be problematic.
Brito and the Power$ that be have some motivation to change $o$ua beach.

Drak

Jul 7, 2015
A couple of years ago when I was living in Sosua they did put these big plastic Blue garbage cans spaced out down the beach. It wasn't long however before they were removed (fell into the truck likely).
If I recall correctly, those bins were donated by the Dutch Government.

They were eventually thrown out because they were broken and dirty, due to the overloading and being dragged the distance to the truck.

Really agree with others here about this as a priority.