Sosua Beach News

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....about the problems of the beach....you could hire the mayor of Santiago, as a consultant....and his interest in the working girls would be minimal .......Doc.......

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The city's complains seem dishonest. The beach is immensely popular. Police are present during the week days as well as increased numbers on the week ends. How can the city just ignore the beach then complain. The working girls issue is made up. There will always be tourist who will complain about the girls. Offends their modesty I suppose. The police patrols could easily stop the girls. The police have no trouble arresting the girls for walking alone at night whenever they feel like it.
The city has a history of neglect. La Roca was a landmark building for Sosua and they let it just sit and decay until it caught fire.
Sosua needs to step up and make the existing beach better. The beach could be a crowning jewel for the town.
To not even provide or require trash cans then complain about the mess is classic.
"Sneak inspections" illustrates that the city is not being honest here and has an agenda that will be very unpopular. Why sneak around? Its open to all and lets hope it stays that way for a long time.

j_d66

Nov 1, 2012
It's not the gringo tourists that are littering that beach it is the Dominicans that work there and also those that visit the beach.

I often sit at a bar on the beach where the workers just throw the trash off to the side.

I made a comment about it one day that perhaps it would be easier to take care of the trash rather than just throw it on the ground.

He just shrugged his shoulders like it was a normal thing to do and someone would take care of it.

Bundel2014

Feb 11, 2017
They have been cleaning it up for years,yet it still is the same.good luck,many other beaches in the DR.Barahona & Monti Cristi,great places.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Stick a 2000 peso note to the forehead and they will be immediately Brad Pitt,(or the Latin equivalent..)

Sheesh, for a minute there I thought it was my chest hairs and fluorescent colored shorts.
God bless Emilio Prud'Homme & José Rufino Reyes Siancas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Every morning the Dominicans who work there clean up their area. Rake the sand, pick up the trash etc. I think they do a great job.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Every morning the Dominicans who work there clean up their area. Rake the sand, pick up the trash etc. I think they do a great job.

They do. Sometimes my morning walk takes me thru there. But there is still the issue of the poorly built open sewers in the back. On a calm day, after a rain, there is a distinct odor. And it ain't nice.

There is a whole little city back there behind the vendor shacks. Out of sight, out of mind. But it's there.
For anyone that hasn't seen it, take a walk back there sometime. It's a village. Where do you think all those people are doing their business?

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011

This is true.... but every night, there is a High Tide that washes the bulk of the Garbage out to Sea.

What you see in the morning is them cleaning up what is left.