Sosua Kidnapping?

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Off the beaten path

I know this is not the norm for tourists to do nor would I suggest this. I also know that many Ex-pats would not do this. However, I have been assimilating into this culture and it's people for more then 12 years. I spent 95% of that time in the campo and far, far away from the gated communities and ex-pats living there. Please do not misunderstand me. I love my ex-pat friends and value their friendships. However, coming here to meet ex-pats was NOT my original plan then nor is it now.

I came down here to do exactly what I planned to do. I invested numerous amounts of time being introduced to families all throughout the countryside. I have been to many Dominican weddings, birthday parties, baptisms, house blessings as well as funerals. I have been to the cockfights, the harvesting of their crops, the births of their cattle as well as the slaughter of their lifestock. I have been to ceremonies of dignant and educated Dominicans. Dinners awarding professors, doctors and such. I have helped move college students into their college campus apartments just as I would here in the states. I have shared their joy and also their anguish. Along the way in my life I have met countless people from Santiago Rodriguez to S.F., Puerto Plata to Bonao, La Vega. Everywhere I go I am known as either "Gotti" or "Rubio". Once you are known to some you are known to all.

I am not trying to formulate a false sense of security. However, to those that wish to live in this country ought to think about assimilating into the culture a little bit and get the heck out of your condos and gated communities. Try to learn Spanish or at least some Spanish. Remember, the kindness (and I don't mean your money, I mean your spirit) you display to someone today could be your saving grace tomorrow

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Lambada said:
Dan Brown? Not the author..........? I heard the Da Vinci Code wasn't too popular with the Church............

No, not that Dan Brown.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
The Cat is out of the bag

Rocky said:
The following is third hand information, via a Dominican who worked on the case involving the kidnapping.
I am told that a man by the name of Dan Brown of Sea Horse Ranch was kidnapped, for purposes of collecting a ransom.
A lot of high politicians and high ranking army officials got involved, and secured the release of the victim, on Monday.
It is not known at this time if the ransom was paid, or if the authorities got him back by other means.
This info was given to me over the phone, and I asked if it was Dean Brown, a real Estate agent for Century 21, and it was repeated to me, that it was Dan Brown.
Hopefully none of this info is innacurate due to lousy cellphone quality.

We'll have to seen what happens and why it's taking so long to go public. This allegedly happened nearly 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Eddy said:
We'll have to seen what happens and why it's taking so long to go public. This allegedly happened nearly 2 weeks ago.
I suppose the parties involved would have prefered to keep it quiet.
I hope I caused no grief to the victim & family by my post, mentioning his name.
It was in the interest of clearing up the confusion that it might have been the German fellow also mentioned in this thread, and to dispel rumours that it might have been another fellow who lives on that very road and has been exposed, as of late, for having a questionable background, back in Canada. See http://www.cbc.ca/ns/story/ns_waterbill20030723.html and http://www.cbc.ca/ns/story/ns_fire060901.html

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Hibernation?

Lambada said:
Dan Brown? Not the author..........? I heard the Da Vinci Code wasn't too popular with the Church............
Lambada, I am pleased to see you posting again. I have long been a fan of your wit and wisdom.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I know a story of a Dominican Lady who was driving from Santiago to POP with her kids in a Jeep Montero, when a pick up truck with people in army uniforms started following her (already in Santiago). On the mountain road they overtook her and threw water barrels unto the street, apparently in an attempt to get her to stop the car and rob her of the jeep. She was able to get away. So its not just foreigners that are targets here.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Victor Laszlo said:
Lambada, I am pleased to see you posting again. I have long been a fan of your wit and wisdom.

You are very kind, sweetdbt also. Not 'hibernation' exactly, still here in DR, writing lots of articles etc. Just needed to absent myself pending disappearance of various barrack-room lawyers and the unwise.......;)

Speaking of which, the 'fellow living on the same road' referred to above, has not, I believe, been kidnapped. Although many live in hope............:)

Adam Spenser

Nov 29, 2002
Sosua Kidnapping

I have been away since Ken the all time gossiper opened the kidnapping thread. What I find absolutely unconscionable is Rocky (your brains are not in your head) posting Brown's name and address. If true, you have put him and his family in harm's way again. Where are the people of DR 1 who are supposed to monitor this stuff? Rocky says he posted his name and address "in the interest of clearing up the confusion that it might have been a German fellow ... and to dispel rumors that it might have been another fellow who lives on that very road..." HELLO!! Rocky you could have done this if so important to you by saying it was a Brit or American or Canadian or whatever he is and he lives in Sosua. Your excuse is not true and you know it.

Adam
6/25/06

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I agree no names and addresses should have been posted. I don't agree that serious security threat of this nature should not be. DR1 is a vehicle for communication between expats who live here permanently and also others who spend large amounts of time here. We are all very much concerned about security and the trend toward an increase that we have observed. When something of such a serious nature happens to one of those of us who live here, then this is information that the others should have so that they know they need to be more alert to signs of trouble.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Adam Spenser said:
I have been away since Ken the all time gossiper opened the kidnapping thread. What I find absolutely unconscionable is Rocky (your brains are not in your head) posting Brown's name and address. If true, you have put him and his family in harm's way again. Where are the people of DR 1 who are supposed to monitor this stuff? Rocky says he posted his name and address "in the interest of clearing up the confusion that it might have been a German fellow ... and to dispel rumors that it might have been another fellow who lives on that very road..." HELLO!! Rocky you could have done this if so important to you by saying it was a Brit or American or Canadian or whatever he is and he lives in Sosua. Your excuse is not true and you know it.

Adam
6/25/06
And good day to you too, Adam.
First, you could explain how he's been put in harm's way again.
Then you could tell us all, oh Guru that you are, what difference there is between naming him or anybody else who gets named in any set of circumstances on message boards.
Then you could apologize to Ken, who has always been a valued contributing member of DR1, not known to be a gossiper, but well known to be helpful to any & all seeking information.
Then, uninformed that you are, you might know that there is a fellow who lives along that road, who a lot of people might like to kidnap or worse.
Then you could explain to us all, where it was you were away too, that had no internet.
If your sense of responsibility is so great, you really should have been monitoring every single thread on DR1, regardless of "being away".
Were you in the Antartic?

I wonder if you remember starting this thread, Mr. Spencer.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38722
Adam Spenser said:
Can anyone confirm that the police Comandante in Sosua whose nickname is Cobra was fired, because of his involvement in the Sosua Bay Club fracas a couple of weeks ago.
Adam Spenser
Did you notice how you named the person and his location?
Was this a bit of gossip?
You know how it goes... People who live in glass houses, blah blah blah.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
As I let the previous information go, after thinking about it seriously, I'm going to let this carry on a little. Why? Because I'd rather listen to Rocky and Ken than to Adam Spencer from somewhere who has just insulted one of the most valued members of this community.

You owe an apology to Ken, Mr Spencer, as your comment to him is way out of line and completely misguided. And Ken can speak for himself, and many of us can speak for him as well!

Last edited:

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
This is the internet and similar to newspapers and such there goes a certain freedom of information. I am sure plenty of people know names/locations of various happenings and this information is quite readily available to people who live in the specific town. Its in everyones best interest that whenever something major like this happens that as much information comes out as possible. Possibly someone who saw something strange but didnt realize exactly what they saw might remember a bad incident or a person they saw or anything strange in that specific area.

Just my 0.02

louise1182

Jul 10, 2006
this guy that was kidnapped must of been in with the wrong crowd.
Possibly dealing in drugs is the most common reason for foreigners to be killed out there.
Only a week ago a guy was shot 14 times on the boulivard on a busy sunday evening in front of masses of people. someone wanted him dead. it was no drive by

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
louise1182 said:
this guy that was kidnapped must of been in with the wrong crowd.
Possibly dealing in drugs is the most common reason for foreigners to be killed out there.
Only a week ago a guy was shot 14 times on the boulivard on a busy sunday evening in front of masses of people. someone wanted him dead. it was no drive by

No, definitely not that type of person.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Something "Similar" happened To ME,In Sosua Last Weekend!!!!!

I was sitting alone in a nice "Bar & Restaurant" on Sunday afternoon.A pretty young girl came up to me and asked me why I was all alone.I told her that I had just ate about 100 pounds of great food at a 4th.of July Celebration."What are you going to do now?" she asked me.I told her I was going to room 113 of the Hotel Europa and rest.
I was back in my hotel room later,and there was a knock on the door. It was that same pretty girl from the restaurant.She burst into my room uninvited! She forced me down on the bed,blindfolded me,tore of my clothes,and tied me naked to the bed.She then proceeded to force me to have every type of perverted sex act she,(I), could think of!!! After what seemed like hours (at least 15 minutes!) she untied me and left as fast as she "came"! But she demanded 500 pesos before she left!! Be careful out the guys.The streets of Sosua have never been more dangerous!!:cheeky:

ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Criss Colon said:
But she demanded 500 pesos before she left!! Be careful out the guys.The streets of Sosua have never been more dangerous!!:cheeky:
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
Ususally she demands only 300 pesos.
Maybe she was charging by the pound?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Sosua needs a Special Victims Unit like on Law and Order so that victims, like CC, of such a brutal assault have a place to report the attack.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Ken said:
Sosua needs a Special Victims Unit like on Law and Order so that victims, like CC, of such a brutal assault have a place to report the attack.
We already have one, but will not take any reports seriously, unless they are accompanied by photos or video recordings of the event.