Spanish Consulate says 3,077 have been naturalized under new 2022 law

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
RD-y-España-N-Digital.jpg

The Consulate of Spain in the Dominican Republic says that 3,077 descendants of Spaniards have taken on the Spanish nationality after the passing of the Democratic Memory Law in 2022.

In March 2024, the government of Spain announced that Spanish descendants will get another year’s time to apply for Spanish nationality.

The Democratic Memory Law has clauses that facilitate the naturalization procedure for latinos of Spanish descent. The law also allows offspring of Spaniards who may have lost their nationality during dictatorship or civil war to acquire the original nationality of their parents in an expedited procedure. The procedure does not require the descendants to travel to Spain or establish residence in Spain to carry out the steps.

The law mainly benefits the grandchildren of Spaniards who meet the requirements under the Democratic Memory Law in effect since October 2022...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bachata

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
"descendants of Spaniards"

Isn't this like the majority of Latin America's population (bar Brazil) or am I missing something?

Are they trying to give Spanish nationality to most latinos?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Isn't this like the majority of Latin America's population (bar Brazil) or am I missing something?

I presume there is some documentation that needs to be submitted. Can be difficult for anyone like my husband, whose ancestors came in the 1600s. No proof

Reactions: keepcoming

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I could qualify for this since my Tatarabuelo was Spanish. But I already have dual citizenship Dominican /American I think I am good with that.

JJ

Reactions: bob saunders

eafanduiz

Nov 9, 2023
Miami

Hi there. The law extends to grandchildren and can go as far as great grandchildren, and there is important documentation that you must prove. Most of the LATAM diaspora at this point are already great great grandchildren and further when you think about the Spanish conquest so even though obviously Latin America derives from Spain it wouldn't apply the majority of Latin America. PS. There are a lot of a lot of people in Brazil of Spanish descendant. Have a great day.

Reactions: DR fan1990

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I have my family genealogy straight.
My great grandfather was Spanish.

JJ

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240417-220406.png
    Screenshot_20240417-220406.png
    137 KB · Views: 16

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I know the exact place where he was born and lived in Spain before he was deployed to Dominican Republic.

JJ