Starbucks in Punta Cana

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The Little Caesars next door is on its way out IMO ...they sold us cardboard-stale-frisbee-days-old pizza ...so never again ! 😫

Get yourself some oatmeal English muffins and throw some Ragu meat sauce on top with a little mozzarella.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Drove past Starbucks Punta Cana ...a few times last week ...not many people each time ...same with the Taco Bell in the mall .....just bored staff ....but let the new KFC in Veron show you how it's done ...especially on a Tuesday ..."Martes Loco 8 piezas de pollo $399 " ...full of customers ...queues...young ..old... from all walks of life ! Their marketing on IG is quite good too ...We will give whoever is running their IG account a job any day.

The Little Caesars next door is on its way out IMO ...they sold us cardboard-stale-frisbee-days-old pizza ...so never again ! 😫
Starbucks DR is the first to open offering delivery. Business could be slow, but if people can get their coffee delivered to their homes/offices, going by looks of the place may not be the full story.

To think , once upon a time, Veron only had a Burger King ...that soon closed…and that was it….now look …but only time will tell . 🤔
That was it for Verón, but that Burger King simply moved from the gas station it was there to a free standing store in San Juan Shopping Center in Coco Loco. It has been there ever since. It wasn't that the restaurant went belly up.

Kind of a similar story with the Hard Rock Café that originally was in Palma Real Shopping Center (the shopping center no longer exist), moved to Blue Mall Punta Cana and then moved to a free standing store in Down Town PC. Actually, close to the BK. lol

IKEA has been in that area in San Juan Shopping Center only. All they did was move from a smaller free standing store in the parking lot to a larger place attached to the main building of that shopping center.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Here is the timeline:

1) Downtown Center
2) Acropolis Mall
3) Agora
4) 360 Galleria
5) Megacentro
6) SDQ Airport

Coming soon:

1) Punta Cana (Stand alone store)
2) STI Airport - Proposed
3) PUJ Airport - Proposed
4) Downtown Puerto Plata (Near the new Tabio bay Cruise port) - Proposed

For the Autopista San Isidro, that must be interesting.

Gosh, given that a bottle of water is US$ 3 in Punta Cana airport, I wonder how much a Starbucks will be there? Maybe they will have those bank desks nearby like they do in IKEA so you can get finance for your purchase.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Gosh, given that a bottle of water is US$ 3 in Punta Cana airport, I wonder how much a Starbucks will be there? Maybe they will have those bank desks nearby like they do in IKEA so you can get finance for your purchase.
I have a good memory of the Starbucks in DT Center. I went for my second Covid vaccination at DT Center and was waiting for them to start and had a coffee there before. Starbucks coffee and Chinese Sinovac vaccination.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
I don't know when you last bought water at Punta Cana airport, but it's more than $3. I recently paid $11 for 1L bottle of water in terminal B the other day and nearly died from the sticker shock. It was more than double what I paid later the same day at an airport in the US for the same brand/size bottle of water.

• Wow
Reactions: NanSanPedro

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I don't know when you last bought water at Punta Cana airport, but it's more than $3. I recently paid $11 for 1L bottle of water in terminal B the other day and nearly died from the sticker shock. It was more than double what I paid later the same day at an airport in the US for the same brand/size bottle of water.
$11?? What a ripoff

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I always try to avoid USA water. I think it's Coke that makes Dasani. I also think that Dominicans believe that is what gringos want. I don't. Give me the Blue Heaven water any day.

Reactions: PCMike

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I always try to avoid USA water. I think it's Coke that makes Dasani. I also think that Dominicans believe that is what gringos want. I don't. Give me the Blue Heaven water any day.
I avoid any water bottles because they are from tap, all BS. I rather my own well - taste better.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
It was Evian that I bought. $5.09 at an airport in the US was expensive but fair.

Punta Cana airport also wanted $8 for a Child juice box sized chocolate milk that sells in the grocery store for 30-50 pesos. It's a complete and utter rip off.

If they would install water fountains/coolers like airports in the US so I could just refill my bottle I would have no problem.

• Wow

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Most gring@s from the USA tend to prefer American brands of anything. The way to increase sale in a business where or a significant number of the clients are Americans is for every type of things on sale, have local brands slightly cheaper (but still higher than in stores where most clients are Dominicans) next to American brands at a higher price (higher than the same American brand products are seen in Dominican consumers dominated stores). Watch how the American brands will sell faster despite the higher price.

This applies to many things. There was a time when the DR had a problem attracting US tourists while most tourists were from Canada and Europe. Then American hotel brands begsn to open resorts in the DR and arrival of US tourists increased. Now many Americans buy vacation packages in non-American chains such as Riu, but now Americans are more trusting of these non-American chains due to their presence in other all inclusive vacation spots dominated by Americans (Jamaica, Cancun, etc).

Most airlines flying between the DR and the USA are American airlines. The first non-Americsn airline flying to the USA is Sky High and as of right now most of their passengers are not Americans of the gringo type. It remains to be seen if this will continue and if Arajet will attract more American passengers on e it begins to fly to the USA. Unlike Sky High, Arajet is backed by an American capital venture and that's something that can be exalted in the American market in order to attract gringo Americans. It remains to be seen.

Europeans aren't like that. There is no marked preference between European, American or local brands, at least not as strong as Americans with American brands (they will prefer cereal from Kellog than César Iglesias when in reality there is not much difference between the two in quality, tastes, etc; even things like desinfectant gel, you put an American brand next to the Dominican brand of Manos Limpias and most often the American brand will be preferred despite there is no difference other between the American vs the Dominican ones.)

Among Dominicans, there is a stronger preference for imported brands even when there are local brands at the upper level, but among the mass and even most of the middle class they have a preference for Dominican brands to imported brands even when they think an imported brand is 'better.' In that case they will mostly buy the Dominican brand and from time to time will buy the imported brand as a 'treat.'

With airlines, the biggest issue for Dominicans trusting Dominican airlines is one of maintenance of the aircrsft, but for now Arajet actually voids that worry as their aoirplanes tend to be new. Once they start to fly to the USA, particularly airports used a lot by Dominicans to travel to the DR (JFK, Newark, Boston, Miami, etc) the Dominican support of this will be greater thsn expected. I even think many of the Arajet airplanes that will fly between the USA (airports used by Dominicans) and the DR will be completely full with most passengers being Dominicans.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
In PJT's honest opinion Starbucks has done a great marketing job for its coffee and spin off products. However, for a customer to go out of his way pay the inflated prices for its coffee requires and honest evaluation of need vs want. If Starbucks is the only coffee outlet nearby if may be worth a visit a few times. However, if one desires to satisfy his ongoing coffee craving it may be worthwhile to find a nearby vendor that sells good coffee cheaper. Starbucks has done a good job reaping profits from its brand devoted clients. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Regards,

PJT

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
In PJT's honest opinion Starbucks has done a great marketing job for its coffee and spin off products. However, for a customer to go out of his way pay the inflated prices for its coffee requires and honest evaluation of need vs want. If Starbucks is the only coffee outlet nearby if may be worth a visit a few times. However, if one desires to satisfy his ongoing coffee craving it may be worthwhile to find a nearby vendor that sells good coffee cheaper. Starbucks has done a good job reaping profits from its brand devoted clients. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Regards,

PJT
Just walk 25 feet into Nacional and get either Nestle's or Cafe Santo Domingo Cappuccino for 65 pesos.................And you have a nicer indoor or outdoor seating to drink your $1.14 cents Cappuccino....................And if Expresso is your thing it will cost you 35 pesos........

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Just walk 25 feet into Nacional and get either Nestle's or Cafe Santo Domingo Cappuccino for 65 pesos.................And you have a nicer indoor or outdoor seating to drink your $1.14 cents Cappuccino....................And if Expresso is your thing it will cost you 35 pesos........
I would walk a mile to avoid Starbux.

Reactions: Lucifer

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I need to open DD in PC as I'm da Donut king and a Hard Rock member

I don't know if you are serious, but I can tell you the last time we had DD here, the country was going through very tough times and as a result, their quality plummeted as they tried to sell 1 and 2-day-old donuts. No wonder they didn't survive.

I would not be afraid to try it again but in PC, and I bet it would be a big hit. Quality has to be top notch.

BobNH

Apr 9, 2015
I don't know if you are serious, but I can tell you the last time we had DD here, the country was going through very tough times and as a result, their quality plummeted as they tried to sell 1 and 2-day-old donuts. No wonder they didn't survive.

I would not be afraid to try it again but in PC, and I bet it would be a big hit. Quality has to be top notch.
Thanks JD. I'll buy you a beer @ da Hard Rock as I'm a member.:cool:

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Our poster BobNH is a "fake". He "borrowed" another posters profile from a travel forum. He has been doing this on several forums.