Stopped this afternoon by 2 cops at Sosua for money

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Keep you doors locked at all times when driving (and stopping) in the DR or you will have much larger problems.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've been driving here nearly eight years and never lock my doors. I don't intend to start now. If I stop posting on DR1 you'll know I was wrong!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Driving while gringo can be serious here, but a couple of Canadians I know were staying here for the first time this year after spending many winters in Costa Rica. They were stopped while driving a rental car in Santiago and were expecting to have to pay the "toll". However, before doing so, the gringo quickly asked the police for directions to where he wanted to go. It was difficult to understand due to the language barrier, so eventually the cop got in the car and drove with them to their destination with his colleague following. After that, the Canadians were happy to pay a propina!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
guys, spare me the moralizing. when you get pulled over in your home countries by a cop, and the ticket is going to cost you 250 dollars, add 4 points to your license, and your insurance rate is going to skyrocket, and your credit score is going to get jacked if you do not pay the ticket on time, you will gladly fork over 100 dollars to a guy who can fix the ticket. but you don't want to squeeze off 2 dollars to a DR cop.

When I get pulled over in my home country and get a big fine... it’s because I did something wrong. Fair enough.

I’ve also received a ticket here for a wrong turn. Fair enough.

But when stopped for having done nothing wrong and asked for a “propina” o “refresco”.... it’s a power play on their part, not an act that’s in any way proper. It’s thuggery.

Sorry, gorgon. There’s nothing moral or right about that. And should be grounds for immediate termination if caught.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
When I get pulled over in my home country and get a big fine... it’s because I did something wrong. Fair enough.

I’ve also received a ticket here for a wrong turn. Fair enough.

But when stopped for having done nothing wrong and asked for a “propina” o “refresco”.... it’s a power play on their part, not an act that’s in any way proper. It’s thuggery.

Sorry, gorgon. There’s nothing moral or right about that. And should be grounds for immediate termination if caught.

i have been here probably as long as you have, and i have never been ordered to pay a propina. it has always been a suggestion, and nobody is going to do anything to you if you make it known that you only have fifty pesos.

i will take that any day over being pulled over by a cop in NYC who has a quota to fill, and who gives me a ticket for something i did not do. and, guess what? irony of ironies, but Dominicans in places like the Heights get more bogus tickets than anybody else..

maybe i need spiritual salvation, but i just cannot get to the level where i consider a broke ass cop hustling for a dollar to be this major moral issue.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
word of advice to those who are foreigners here...

be thankful these guys will leave you alone for 2 USD. it is not as if they are going to stop you 5 times per day. jobs are hard to come by, so i would think twice about getting a guy fired for the price of a beer. bad sh1t could happen to you...

and, yes, i know they can be a pain in the ass. however, one day you might need a favor, and they will be there for you.

They won't remember you when you need them and this is like negotiating with terrorists

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
They won't remember you when you need them and this is like negotiating with terrorists

maybe they won't remember you, but when i got into a spat with two Santiago blackshirts, i called a guy in POP ,who had given me his card, and told the storm trooper guy to talk with him. i was out of there in 30 seconds.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
what are you paying for? you think giving a cop 2 dollars is paying for the country?

i lived in America. my children and grandchildren still live there. i know what things like property taxes look like. guys come here and live better than they could ever live back home on the same money, and think giving a cop a dollar is ''paying for the country''.

guys, spare me the moralizing. when you get pulled over in your home countries by a cop, and the ticket is going to cost you 250 dollars, add 4 points to your license, and your insurance rate is going to skyrocket, and your credit score is going to get jacked if you do not pay the ticket on time, you will gladly fork over 100 dollars to a guy who can fix the ticket. but you don't want to squeeze off 2 dollars to a DR cop.

There is always a reason when I get pulled over in my home country and it is not for a shakedown, but something I did wrong. But the cops in the states are not paid well either but they know when they take the job it will be tight.
Justifying theft is not going to help them. When they decide need a new iPhone they won't be satisfied with $2.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A mugger with a weapon politely suggests you hand over your wallet or purse.

Your boss suggests that jeans are not appropriate of the office environment and suggests slacks.

A teacher or other authority figure compliments you on your appearance and suggests engaging in sex.

A DR official standing but a few feet from you explains it is hot and he is thirsty and hungry. He suggests you give him something to address those problems.

Do you see any difference? Suggestion or command, polite or not, all are people in power over you (perhaps only for a short while) whose suggestions could be interpreted as something more than a suggestion and one's freedom to make a choice is probably not really unfettered. In the moment most will see the negatives of not complying and without due consideration or the real ability to decline without implied consequence, feel that they really have only one choice they can make and that choice is not of their own volition.

Wrong is wrong. It is a slippery slope when we attempt to justify inappropriate conduct by people in authority because doing so is easier, more advantageous or not just not worth the risk of saying no.

Last edited:

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Do not feed the stray dogs. Do not feed the corrupt police. Any advice to pay them a few bucks is terrible. They took the job knowing the pay. Any comparison to paying a ticket in USA is BS. Last ticket in USA was year 1999. I was guilty. Paid none in DR also. 2 accidents with motos running into my car with one a very bad one in La Vega. Had insurance and everyone was compensated. So if you are pulled over for a document check be legal and do not feed the strays.... Now if I want to visit the local Colonel and drop off a bottle of Johnny Black and a carton of smokes then that is my choice. Stand your ground. You get more respect that way...

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
word of advice to those who are foreigners here...

be thankful these guys will leave you alone for 2 USD. it is not as if they are going to stop you 5 times per day. jobs are hard to come by, so i would think twice about getting a guy fired for the price of a beer. bad sh1t could happen to you...

and, yes, i know they can be a pain in the ass. however, one day you might need a favor, and they will be there for you.

GOD FORBID ....that some day you will need a cop ....either D.R. COP or NY COP

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Locking your car doors while driving...

Those who have not had an issue, will do whatever they feel comfortable doing.

Those who have had a squeegee person open their driver's door when payment for service refused was not immediately forthcoming, had the PN hop into your car to have a chat or having your purse/package removed from the back seat while at a red light are usually the ones who hence forth lock their doors.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
i have been here probably as long as you have, and i have never been ordered to pay a propina. it has always been a suggestion, and nobody is going to do anything to you if you make it known that you only have fifty pesos.

Because they know what they are doing is something they can get punished or fired over.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There is always a reason when I get pulled over in my home country and it is not for a shakedown, but something I did wrong. But the cops in the states are not paid well either but they know when they take the job it will be tight.
Justifying theft is not going to help them. When they decide need a new iPhone they won't be satisfied with $2.

cops in the states are not paid well? really? go buy yourself some back issues of Star Ledger, and see the kind of money the big earners at the Port Authority are making, with overtime. add to that the amount that is made unofficially, such as drug dealer money, in the form of tipoff money, and pocketing money from seizures, and you will see they do just fine.

ask Canadian cops why it is that they love to work the areas in Toronto with all the caribbean guys...

then we can start the moralizing, all over again. 200 pesos here, 100k dollars there.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
maybe they won't remember you, but when i got into a spat with two Santiago blackshirts, i called a guy in POP ,who had given me his card, and told the storm trooper guy to talk with him. i was out of there in 30 seconds.

So maybe it's best to go to the Comandante and offer him $100 dólares to get his phone number and hope he will answer every time you need a favor? I wonder if you can call him for every shakedown too ?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Wolves single out and prey on the weak. Sharks select prey that mostly likely will not result in receiving an injury. The PN assume foreigners are good targets for graft because most are here for a short period and will not make a fuss because they do not wish to spend a lot of time in the company of the police and because most foreigners know that they cannot adequately deal with ongoing malfeasance in the time they have left or with the money they have readily available.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
So maybe it's best to go to the Comandante and offer him $100 dólares to get his phone number and hope he will answer every time you need a favor? I wonder if you can call him for every shakedown too ?

it does not work like that. i actually have the business card of a Comandante, with whom i play dominoes on a regular basis. we are not friends, because to me friendship is made of sterner stuff. however, i will stop by his house in the afternoon, and shoot the breeze with him. i am a guest at his house for things like his birthday party. we have a kinship, based on the fact that we are caribbean people. i do not have to buy friendship in this part of the world. if i do not show up for the game for 3 days, people are at my house checking to see if i am ok.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The risk of being fired doesn't stop some people from doing the wrong thing? I'm done here, I hope this is the silliest thing I see today.

there are people in this life who do not care about consequences of their actions. if they did, there would be no correctional facilities anywhere on earth.