Strong Turbulance in Jetblue JFK - STI

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This was in October 2023 in a Jetblue flight from NY to Santiago. At about 13:04 you can see the airplane getting closer into a huge cloud. Usually they try to go around these clouds, so this one must had been too big to just fly around. Then at 13:48 the video catches a strong turbulence almost as soon as the flight attendant ask people to be seated and fasten their seat belt. She said it just in time.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I used to be afraid of flying until I worked in an aircraft factory. You have to see structural testing to believe how much they can take.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I used to be afraid of flying until I worked in an aircraft factory. You have to see structural testing to believe how much they can take.
You have experience there where I don't. I did work on submarines and mini-subs in a previous life. Exact same methodology. But then look at the stats. We have a ton of data showing flying is so much safer than driving.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Just like bridges ( theoretically) they build with like a Factor of THREE Safety Margin.
I think Planes stay within the first 20 Percent .. so a factor of 5 ?... amazing really.

The Fact that the Plane which landed on the Hudson, loaded with Passengers did NOT Break apart ON IMPACT sort of PROVES this
The Capt of course gets most of the Credit.. but what good would his skills have been if the plane busted open like a tin can when it Hit water
and that Water was like cement at that speed . Not even a Wing ripped off

Reactions: Big

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I try to keep my safety belt strapped on at all times when in flight, even when sleeping.
Which is a very Good move.. Low Pressure Air Pockets are the most Dangerous " turbulence" of all.
you can easily hit the ceiling and break your neck if you are sleeping at the time .. Most people dont know this .

Reactions: Fulano2

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Just like bridges ( theoretically) they build with like a Factor of THREE Safety Margin.
I think Planes stay within the first 20 Percent .. so a factor of 5 ?... amazing really.

The Fact that the Plane which landed on the Hudson, loaded with Passengers did NOT Break apart ON IMPACT sort of PROVES this
The Capt of course gets most of the Credit.. but what good would his skills have been if the plane busted open like a tin can when it Hit water
and that Water was like cement at that speed . Not even a Wing ripped off
Landing in on a river makes a huge difference. Landing on the ocean with anything more than a 2ft to 3ft chop could result in a much different outcome.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Landing in on a river makes a huge difference. Landing on the ocean with anything more than a 2ft to 3ft chop could result in a much different outcome.
Yes I understand that .. the First wave will rip off a wing and probably rip the TUBE of the plane open. not good.
but the Belly taking a Hit like that , still pretty impressive.
Lot of Luck, plus skill was involved in the River Landing for sure.

It can't even be called a CRASH, because it was literally a Landing.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I’m sure helicopters have a good safety record too, but then you hear Karim Abu Nabaa… He isn’t theorizing, but speaking from experience.

This was posted about 2 weeks ago. Interview do e at his apartment in Piantini.

25:40

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Flew for a living in my previous life. Turbulence never bothered me. Flew through bad storms, etc... Now a totally different story. The slightest bump puts me on edge. It is always smart to keep your seat belt on.

Reactions: RDKNIGHT

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Flew for a living in my previous life. Turbulence never bothered me. Flew through bad storms, etc... Now a totally different story. The slightest bump puts me on edge. It is always smart to keep your seat belt on.

Amazing how we change over the years. I can remember falling asleep on the tarmac at JFK, and waking up in Santo Domingo. Not now.

Reactions: keepcoming

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Yes I understand that .. the First wave will rip off a wing and probably rip the TUBE of the plane open. not good.
but the Belly taking a Hit like that , still pretty impressive.
Lot of Luck, plus skill was involved in the River Landing for sure.

It can't even be called a CRASH, because it was literally a Landing.
There's no doubt that Scully did a beautiful job of landing that plane on the river. He pretty much "greased it" on.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
My last trip to DR we got trapped in that air plane for 9 hours to a storm plane was diverted from STI / MIA to West Palm Beach airport.
NINE HOURS INSIDE THAT PLANE
Didn't they know about that weather conditions before they took off from STI???

JJ

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
@bachata They gave any food and drinks? At the very least they should had return the value of the flight as credit to the passengers and take it as a loss. Jetblue did it a few years ago basically covering the same flight of this thread except it was in the late morning arriving early afternoon. Not hours left in the airplane, but several things hsppened.

1. A couple of guys were arrested who know for what, probably drugs, before the airplane left the gate. Automatically the flight was delayed once everyone was in the plane. Everyone and their mother was trying to see through the A line windows since the two guys were taken off the airplane, down to the tarmac and put inside a police vehicles right next to the airplane. Then everyone had to wait until they caoild find their checked bags to get it out. Annoying to say the least.

2. Airplane takes off and about 30 minutes into the flight some girl in the back (had to be early teens, she wasn’t accompanied by an adult so the stewardess were respinsible for her during the flight) got sick and through the intercom was called for anyone who was a doctor to get up and check the child. No one go up, soooo the already late flight made a U turn back to JFK. Couldn’t believe what was happening. Began to wonder if it was a sign to get out of the plane and cancel the trip. Anyway, back JFK not only was the girl taken off the airplane, but everyone too. Jetblue gave everyone a food voucher to buy food at any of the food places at the Jetblue terminal. A lot of people, particularly the elderly, did nothing with the vouchers because it was in English only which they didn’t know and the airplane staff simply handed the voucher to everyone as each stepped out of the airplane, never explaining what it was for. Unless you knew English and how to read it, those vouchers were simply peices of paper with scribble on them.

3. After about an hour bostding started again. Airplane takes off. Lands in Santiago. A flight that was suppose to be in STI around noon arrived at 6 pm +/-. I swore that was it for flying with Jetblue, just the return flight which was already bought and that was it. About 2 weeks after the return flight an email arrives from Jetblue. The entire cost of the flight including taxes was credited to be used on a future Jetblue flight. I was decided to not fly again with them, but they were giving a free flight. So change of mind. Lol Gave them a second chance and haven’t had any issues with them since.

I was left wondering how many people, especially the old folks, even got to open the email and take the credit. I think that was deja vu of the food vouchers ordeal.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I was on a flight from JFK to POP on American Airlines. It was supposed to depart around 10 AM and arrive around 1 PM. However, it was iced over and we were delayed.

We were trapped in that plane, on the tarmac at JFK, so long that we departed hours after our scheduled arrival to POP. Some people wanted to de-plane, but they were informed that if they did so, they would not be permitted to re-board.

I reached my place in Puerto Plata around 8:30 PM after a 6 AM departure from Buffalo, NY.

Last edited:

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
My last trip to DR we got trapped in that air plane for 9 hours to a storm plane was diverted from STI / MIA to West Palm Beach airport.
NINE HOURS INSIDE THAT PLANE
Didn't they know about that weather conditions before they took off from STI???

JJ
They more than likely knew about, what they could not foresee is the backup it would cause in Miami. Departures delayed in Miami, no gates available, conditions at Miami deteriorated, etc... I have had it happen a few times SDQ to MIA, diverted to Orlando, Tampa and once to Tallahassee. On a MIA to SDQ flight we diverted to STI due to heavy rain. Goes from being a 3–4-hour travel day to a 7–8-hour travel day. Not fun.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
They more than likely knew about, what they could not foresee is the backup it would cause in Miami. Departures delayed in Miami, no gates available, conditions at Miami deteriorated, etc... I have had it happen a few times SDQ to MIA, diverted to Orlando, Tampa and once to Tallahassee. On a MIA to SDQ flight we diverted to STI due to heavy rain. Goes from being a 3–4-hour travel day to a 7–8-hour travel day. Not fun.
Just think about I am claustrophobic reason why I drive from NC to Florida, I try to take a single short flight and look what happened.

That sucks!

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
The worse day of my life, I don't know how I could make it, nine hours trapped in a plane, thing started to get tense at the time children and little babies started screaming, water and crackers plus some diet caned drink was the only thing they served.
This was AA flight from STI to MIA Early afternoon.
Flight was diverted to WPB where we was trapped as the storm moved north then the plane was running out gas, after three ours they put gas and we flew to MIA where we had to wait another three hours for a gate to be available.

JJ

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Didn’t you once said you wanted to go to West Palm Beach? Maybe that was a sign…

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
More than a decade ago, when I was still traveling alone between EU and the DR, I had a few very nice experiences in the winter time going through JFK as missed connecting flight to MIA and had to spend a night on a metallic bench near toilets at the airport... I was young, I had no money nor knowledge of any hotels etc, just wanted to get on my flight quickly...

However, all this was fine, the worst experience has been definitely on a direct flight FRA-POP (almost 10 hour flight as such), with the kids being small a few years ago, we were already on the final approach coming to POP (we were about over Costa Dorada but could not see it from the clouds), when the plane started climbing suddenly and the captain let us know that we cannot land to POP due to weather, we're going to PUJ instead... Then with charter buses from PUJ to POP and there was no circunvalacion yet in the capital, so we actually had to go through it... Travel time, carrying our youngest was about 24 hours on that trip, including a few hours at PUJ airport waiting for passport control, then luggage, then transport...